[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying an used CPU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1548768976.gif (488 KB, 360x185) Image search: [Google]
1548768976.gif
488 KB, 360x185
Did you ever do this? Was it ok?

Looking to upgrade from an i3 3220 to something quadcore for under 70bucks.
>>
>>54898636
Just abuse paypal for monetary safety
>>
>>54898636
I did it for my xeon, been fine.
>>
i buy used parts exclusively. never had a problem
>>
>>54898636
bought a used Nahalem Xeon last week. It's fine. Modern Intel CPUs are pretty much indestructable unless you pump 2 volts through it or you're a literal caveman.
Used mobo on the other hand, never EVER do. Going to have bent pins guaranteed.
>>
>>54899188
noice
>>
>>54898636
all the time
unless it was run into the ground by some OCtard you're pretty likely to be just fine, especially if you buy high-end parts like Xeons that are pretty much never run out of spec
>>
Modern Intel CPUs are pretty hard to break. worst case scenario you'll get a bad overclocker / undervolter but if you're buying non K that doesn't really matter much anyway.

Buying from eBay also affords you a bunch of "rights". You could claim it was DoA even if the seller advertised it as working and it actually does work and you would get your money back. Don't do this though.
>>
>>54900403
>You could claim it was DoA even if the seller advertised it as working and it actually does work and you would get your money back. Don't do this though.
I do this all the time. I just got 2 2670s and 64GB of RAM for free.
>>
File: image.png (51 KB, 176x217) Image search: [Google]
image.png
51 KB, 176x217
>>54900415
Jew spotted.
>>
>>54900427
You're just jealous of my free hardware.
>>
sold a guy my old pc case and my cpu in a plastic bag after i didn't use the pc for a few months, he texts me the next day that the CPU didn't work

never responded back
>>
Bought an e6850 for 5$ and it worked perfectly. Just make sure you buy from a seller who has experience selling cpus.
>>
>>54898636
A long time ago bought an used Core2Quad that lasted me for years.
>>
>bought 7970 dual x
>worked more or less perfectly
>resold it, never got any complaints

>bought 290 tri-x
>has a rattle and doesn't OC great
>still works at stock perfectly tho

buying used is always risky, that's why the prices are so low vs. new
>>
>>54900450
(you)
>>
>>54898636
Don't buy an unlocked CPU, it's probably fucked up from overvolting.
>>
>>54898636
Worked fine for me. I bought a 4790 K second hand.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.