[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Convince me that Arch Linux is a timesink Distro. >it breaks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1463335811858.jpg (924 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
1463335811858.jpg
924 KB, 1660x1940
Convince me that Arch Linux is a timesink Distro.
>it breaks your system every time you update
You update too much, and probably you are using proprietary bullshit drivers for your graphics card.
If it's necessary, update. Don't update because B133D1NG 3DG3Z0RZ!!1!!111!
>It's hard to install
It's pretty easy for me.
>>
>>54894372
>You update too much, [...] If it's necessary, update. Don't update because B133D1NG 3DG3Z0RZ!!1!!111!
is there any other reason that people use arch though?
>>
>>54894414
AUR, you get to choose what you want, not source-based like Gentoo is, quicker to install and use than Gentoo. That's my personal opinion, though.
>>
>>54894462
>you get to choose what you want
you can choose what you want on pretty much any distro though. I know Debian lets you install a barebones system with no DE, no software, pretty much no nothing except the coreutils and such, and I know plenty of other major distros give you the option.
>AUR
A lot of distros have very big repos these days. and if what you want isnt in them no distro stops you from compiling it yourself.
>>
>>54894547
In my personal preference, the AUR is just press a few keys, wait, and you got your program compiled.
You can also install deb and rpm packages by using PKGBUILDs, though Ubuntu and Debian have Alien to convert rpm files to deb.
>you can choose what you want on pretty much any distro
I do agree with you, but the AUR and PKGBUILDs have been a boon to me. If you choose a minimal install of distros like Ubuntu, Debian, etc, more power to you.
>inb4 rational person on /g/
>>
>you update too much
Except this is the entire point of "using" arch, muh edge.

>It's pretty easy for me
sure after the 6th time it's broken you've memorized the install process, doesn't really count versus never having to have "learned" anything to install ubuntu.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.