[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> Installed mint xfce edition > need internet connection
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: linux-mint-list-640x421.jpg (21 KB, 640x421) Image search: [Google]
linux-mint-list-640x421.jpg
21 KB, 640x421
> Installed mint xfce edition
> need internet connection to do literally anything
> no ethernet

Pulling my eyes out /g/. How to fix? I opened device manager but it says until I get an internet connection I can't do anything with it.

inb4 gentoo
inb4 back2windows
>>
Plug in Ethernet
>>
>>54892424
too far away
>>
I think this is a troll post, but post the results of
cat /etc/network/interfaces
>>
>>54892381
install gentoo nigger
>>
You mean you don't want internet connectivity at all on this machine, or that you just can't get networking functioning? I'll assume the latter.

Use lspci in terminal to find out what kind of networking adapter you have. The drivers you need will either be somewhere on the installation medium or found online. You can install the driver package manually once you find it.
>>
>>54892448
How the fuck can you expect us to help you if you wont even post your hardware configuration.
>>
File: IMG_20160603_133734.jpg (258 KB, 3511x441) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160603_133734.jpg
258 KB, 3511x441
>>54892450
>>
>>54892381
I tried multiple Linux distros and the common issue with all is wireless devices. WiFi and Bluetooth is the Achilles heel of Linux as it fails to detect and configure them on laptops. I have an old HP laptop and a new Dell, both have same issue, wireless device does not detect.

To make things worse, Linux has the shittiest audio driver ever made, literally Windows 95 can deliver better output on my hardware than this piece of shit. I am glad I erased all my partitions and went back to Windows 8.1, feels normal again.
>>
>>54892471
This is for my fathers computer. He has a desktop and no ethernet functionality. I just removed windows from it and trying to give him a super basic OS.

I have a Netgear wireless-n dual band 3100 adapter that I use
>>
>>54892514
ifup

You might need to get iwifi drivers from another computer.

>>54892584
You do know that Windows was literally made for low tech people like your father.
>>
Can't help you, but I'm wondering why you'd use Mint if you're not going to use the Cinnamon DE?
>>
>>54892612
I downloaded the driver that was posted here
> https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/692
but after following the steps in terminal I keep getting errors.

I put the tar file on desktop, extracted the folder to desktop as well but I dont know how to install it

> You do know that Windows was literally made for low tech people like your father.
I had W7 installed on his machine and apparently the latest W10 update broke and it really messed things up so I decided to just scrap windows and put Mint
>>
>>54892641
More lightweight. Literally all I need is Google Chrome and Skype to work
>>
>>54892694
>Skype
lad...
>>
>>54892694
Why not Xubuntu then, or some other with XFCE, that's what I mean.
Mint, is a pretty bloated distro compared to others.
>>
>>54892720
Not him but my entire university uses Skype and some other cock sucking messenger app.
>>
>>54892720
I dont use skype, this is for my dad
>>
>>54892737
Your missing the point, He is trying to install Skype on Gnu/Linux.

>>54892677
Mate you should just switch to Elementary Os, No Wifi problems there.
>>
>>54892727
I installed the same mint release on the slowest laptop I've ever come across for a friend and it still runs flawlessly. I tried Xubuntu a year or so ago and it wasnt quite as light as mint xfce.
>>
>>54892758
Why not? Considering that people use Chrome, Steam and Google services on Linux, you are still part of the botnet.
>>
>>54892720
I pity anyone who has to use Skype.
It's dead on Linux, Skype on web is barely functional on Windows with the plugin, even less so on Linux.
And even the desktop iteration on Windows is completely broken.

Skype on mobile seems to be the only working version at the moment.
>>
>>54892758
>Your missing the point, He is trying to install Skype on Gnu/Linux.
Skype is fully working on the same version of Mint I installed for somebody else

Will take a look at Elementary if unable to find a solution today. Thanks.
>>
>>54892824
If you want an OS where your WiFi works out of box, try Manjaro KDE/XFCE/Deepin flavors.

I have tried them, Ubuntu 16.04 core is fucking up wifi devices, switch to Arch core.
>>
>>54892720
Pidgin + skype4pidgin my meme friend
>>
>>54892893
Which of those is the lightest one?
>>
>>54892381
>How to fix?
install a sane distro you cuck
>>
>>54892922
Xfce is lightest. KDE and Deeping need decent amount of ram and GPU power. I am running them on a shitty Core2 processor, it works fine.
>>
>>54892960
Thanks. Yea the computer that it will be running on is quite beefy (compared to a laptop) but since the usage will consist of just a handful of apps I would like to keep it at a bare minimal and have the most headroom.

So now its Manjaro Kfce vs Elementary OS... which one would be best for your grandmother?
>>
>>54893119
ElementaryOS, has an OSX like interface, dock and very easy to use. But you will be stuck on Ubuntu 16.04 core which we are trying to avoid to fix the wifi issue.
>>
And one more Linux thread about drivers...

Give it up OP. Spare yourself some pain.

The funniest part is when you autistic fuckwits suggested a command line as an acceptable activity for a average user.

Was in a Linux thread the other day and people swore none of this shit happened anymore. Fuck you guys and fuck Linux.
>>
>>54893157
Tried Elementary as a previous anon recommended, but the network interface is exactly like Mint and again no wifi works. Waiting on manjaro to finish downloading.
>>
>>54892893
>>54893157
Installed Manjaro, wifi is not working out of the box...

:(
>>
>Linux Mint
>Security
Pick one.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.