[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oracle or SQL Building a database for my real estate agency,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 1461749222567.jpg (54 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1461749222567.jpg
54 KB, 500x667
Oracle or SQL

Building a database for my real estate agency, which is best.
>>
>>54889951
Suicide is your best option.
>>
>>54889951
mongodb.
>>
Document based Nosql
Sql is obsolete
>>
Oracle if >>>/pajeet/
>>
PostgreSQL or MariaDB/MySQL

If you actually needed oracle you would know why.
>>
>>54889980
meme kids actually believe this
>>
>>54889951
Don't go Oracle unless you have a few hundred thousands to spend at will.
MySQL will do the job just fine. Stick to the simple shit, don't try to be funny.
>>
>>54890014
>If you actually needed oracle you would know why.
this. also daily reminder to sanitize your input.
>>
>>54890062
No, do not sanitize input. Why would you want to do that? You aren't building queries with string concatenation, are you??

Do escape output, of course, if it's about to be presented as HTML.
>>
just put everything in a giant csv file, that's what I do
>>
PostgreSQL for SQL or get the fuck off my /g/

NoSQL if you don't care about your data accuracy or don't work on real applications.
>>
>>54890898
What does Postgre offer over MySQL? Not OP but I also need to choose a database and it's basically between those two.
>>
>>54889951
>or sql

wut?

just use postgresql faggot
>>
>>54890954
Different anon here, proper Relational database, as powerful as Oracle if not more powerful than Oracle.

Extensions for all kinds of applications, I make maps for a living and the GIS extension helps a lot.
>>
>>54890898
PostGreSQL is for data warehousing, NoSQL has too large of a scope for probably some small as realtor.

>>54889951

MS SQLServer or mysql
>>
Oracle without a doubt because you can scream at someone over the phone when shit breaks.
>>
File: whisper.png (21 KB, 261x200) Image search: [Google]
whisper.png
21 KB, 261x200
>>54889951
Oracle is built on java, and is a mess.
>>
>>54889951
Oracle's licensing will break your neck in the long term.
>>
>>54889951
I always just used sqlite for shit, but postgre is pretty hot these days I hear
>>
>>54890954
also supports BSON for NoSQL retard shit too.
>>
>>54889951

Easy mode: MSSQL. Plenty of fucking support options out there, easy as dirt to setup and interface with.
Hard Mode: Oracle without a support plan. Costs way more, and unless you're building a state-wide, massive real estate DB, you're not likely to see any major benefits from it vs traditional SQL in internal usage.
>>
>>54891262
BSON? i thought pgsql was jsonb?
>>
File: 4L_ByLmqZSL.png (311 KB, 652x669) Image search: [Google]
4L_ByLmqZSL.png
311 KB, 652x669
>>54890898
If you learn is posgres basically interchangeable with mysql? The books i have all teach mysql so that's what i've been learning. Will it be hard to apply my mysql knowledge to postgres?
>>
>any kind of SQL

Fucking kill yourself.
All you need is bash and plain text files or you may as well fuck off off back to M$ WinBLOWS.
>>
>>54889951
Oracle are about to release a free cloud environment with APEX installed (like apex.oracle.com but supported) to get people onto cloud to tempt them when they need a bugger license.

If you are a small company you could build on oracle XE then migrate to this cloud instance.

APEX is really good for RAD and is getting better and better each year.
>>
>>54891647
Unemployed I presume?
>>
Cassandra
>>
>>54891245
SQLite is really impressive stuff for a) Local data stores b) Web apps intended to be used by one person or a small number of people. Its author advocates for its use as an application file format, and I have to say I agree.

As long as it isn't being misused for huge client-server webapps with thousands of users, there's nothing much bad I can say about it.
>>
>>54891311
my bad, you're right but it's essentially the same.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.