[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hpg/ - Headphone General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: Houden.Eizo.full.488052.jpg (3 MB, 2582x3500) Image search: [Google]
Houden.Eizo.full.488052.jpg
3 MB, 2582x3500
-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
>Headphone purchase advice
http://pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread: >>54844454
>>
Reposting considering the last thread is dead.

I'm not filling out one of those tedious as fuck forms, so just answer this instead.

I've only ever bought the AT M50's, and I stopped using them quite swiftly due to them, IMO, sounding like shit. I ended up switching to a much better speaker system which I've been using ever since.

However, despite how much I enjoy my speakers, I'd like a comfy as fuck (as apposed to the M50's which felt horrible and clamped my head hard) decent set of headphones, and so far I'm setting my sights on the Philips X2 Fidelio Headphones.
Are they comfy? Will they destroy my M50's in terms of sound?

Finally, I'd like a recommendation on what to drive these with.

Thanks in advance.
>>
Without experience, I have no idea what all the terms and expressions like "tight" or "punchy" mean exactly, maybe I totally misunderstand something going just by intuition. Are there some sample sets I can listen to that emulate various sound signatures?
There are no decent shops nearby where I could just go and try different headphones.
>>
>>54886119
buy easy rock zircons
>>
>>54886119
See >>54886697
>>
>>54886764
It's just audiophile memes, like fast bass.

Tight means something like detailed and not one-note bass while punchy would be strong bass impact, which is from more bass amount.

There should be a glossary on these terms somewhere.
>>
>>54886764
>tight
Bass is not bloated like you get with most cheap Sony headphones.

>punchy
Good mid-bass.
>>
>>54886786
Disappointing. After every review I've seen giving them nothing but the utmost praise, I was expecting for them to easily beat the M50's in terms of sound at the very least.

When you say they'll drive from just about anything, do you mean I would get no difference from just plugging them into my PC as apposed to a DAC?
>>
was gonna buy an odac+o2 from mayflower or jds with the 1/4th jack then i noticed jds have this element thing, what exactly makes the element worth the extra money?
>>
>>54886934
>Disappointing. After every review I've seen giving them nothing but the utmost praise, I was expecting for them to easily beat the M50's in terms of sound at the very least.
More than what I already said, I had two X2, both of them had glued earpads. Both of them sounded very congested and closed-like to me, as opposed to the K702 I currently own, which really sounds like an open headphone.
>When you say they'll drive from just about anything, do you mean I would get no difference from just plugging them into my PC as apposed to a DAC?
Basically yes.
>>
>>54886908
>>54886866
I didn't mean just those two examples.

Anyway, is buying a dozen $100 headphones the only way to figure out what I want?
Recently I've tried Sony XB700 because reviews claimed "unbloated clear" bass and I thought that's what I wanted. Turns out it was way too overwhelming, making mids sound bad whenever it overlapped. On the other hand, a few "neutral flat" cans that I've tried were completely incapable of delivering bass drone over vocals and highs, worse than my cheap iems, so now I have no idea what to look for.
>>
>>54886119
X2 seems like the way to go for you, a less mid-bass-heavy yet still warm option would be the L2, but the X2 is more comfortable.
>>
>>54887171
The only way to recognise the trash recommendations given by people with hearing damage is to do a lot of reading.
>>
File: 1435939525428.jpg (90 KB, 640x757) Image search: [Google]
1435939525428.jpg
90 KB, 640x757
>mfw HD518s still sound like muddy trash through the motherboard plug
>mfw I would literally rather hear $5 chinkshit than this disgust inducing garbage
>>
>>54887171
For me, it took a bit of experimenting (read: listen to samples at electronics stores, borrow from friends, etc.) to figure out what my preferred sound signature is. Then figure out what headphones kind of deliver that sig. Then read reviews about those headphones and compare/contrast models as much as possible.
>>
>>54887171
Reading and learning how to understand measurements helps a lot, but nothing beats actual experience.
>>
HD600 or HD650, hpg?

I'm torn between these two I can get both for the same price (HD650 used). I like neutral but I don't mind a bit of a bass boost to listen to house, vaporwave, bass drum heavy metal like the album Litany by Vader, etc.

There are basically two things that worry me. One is that the HD600 doesn't have sub bass, the other is that the HD650 doesn't have a good neutral treble. I don't want a muddy sound with muddy treble.
>>
>>54887661
HD600 is closer to neutral in general, i'd go with it.
>>
>>54886764
This is the major problem with headphone reviews and recommendations. Instead of describing what the sound actually is they prefer to use metaphors and adjectives with no real merit to somebody who hasn't heard that specific headphone before.
>>
Yo /g/, is that whole Gibson fiasco in regards to the X2's no longer an issue?
Heard there was some shit about inferior cans being made ever since the buyout, but perhaps that has been resolved now since it's been months? Perhaps it never actually happened and people just shit the bed for some reason?

What gives?
>>
>>54886764
>I have no idea what all the terms and expressions like "tight" or "punchy"
I don't understand tight but punchy is easy to understand I think. It's basically the bass inpact around 50-100Hz, the frequencies where the bass drum kicks in your head, or an electronic music beat. With a punchy headphone you'll not only hear the drum/beat but feel it too. That's my interpretation anyway
>>
>>54887821
you could buy the hd600 instead of the X2. It's just a little bit more expensive and everything about it better imo
>>
>>54887843
"tight" usually reffers to the opposite of muddy.
>>
>>54887432
Sennheiser's house sound buddy. Next time you're going to spend money on a headphone, don't take /hpg/ recommendations on Sennheiser HD series seriously.

>>54887661
> I like neutral but I don't mind a bit of a bass boost to listen to house, vaporwave, bass drum heavy metal like the album Litany by Vader, etc.
For that awful music you don't need to invest so much money. Get a Koss Porta Pro and be happy.
>There are basically two things that worry me. One is that the HD600 doesn't have sub bass
Where does it come from? Did you hear them? This assertion is pretty wrong.
> , the other is that the HD650 doesn't have a good neutral treble.
It looks like you have no idea on what you're talking about.
> I don't want a muddy sound with muddy treble
Then don't get Sennheiser open headphones in the first place.
This said I would get the HD600 over the HD650: the HD600 is more neutral, whereas HD650 has too much bass and little treble.

>>54887821
Shit happened on /reddit/, it went directly into the trash. I had two X2, both of them had glued earpads and both of them were made by Woox.

>>54887854
Or he could get either a Q701/K702 or a DT880 which are cheaper and better than those two.
>>
>>54888125
>>There are basically two things that worry me. One is that the HD600 doesn't have sub bass
>Where does it come from? Did you hear them? This assertion is pretty wrong.
>> , the other is that the HD650 doesn't have a good neutral treble.
>It looks like you have no idea on what you're talking about.

You obviously didn't understand what I said

> For that awful music you don't need to invest so much money. Get a Koss Porta Pro and be happy.
I listen to a wide variety of genres, these were 3 form the top of my head that would sound better with more bass
>>
>>54888125
>Or he could get either a Q701/K702
Bass 404, agonizing sibilance
>>
>>54888159
I understood what I said, but it sounded as non-sense to me. What did you mean by neutral treble? Also HD600 has a good amount of sub-bass.

>I listen to a wide variety of genres, these were 3 form the top of my head that would sound better with more bass
It's a common misconception to believe that bass-focused genres sound better on bassy headphones. A bassy headphone is simply going to obliterate the mids and everything else.

>>54888174
Come back to your trash music for teenagers.
>>
>>54886119
Friendly reminder not to listen to /g/, as none of these guys have actually tried the X2's and are just parroting crap about it because it's better than their set of headphones.

Anybody who has heard the X2's when compared to anything in its price range will choose the X2's.

Case in point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTO7004syOA
>>
>>54888125
>For that awful music
stopped reading there, music taste is irrelevant, this is /g/, not /mu/.
>>
>>54888326
> subjective opinion by some faggot with completely different tastes than mine
>>
>>54888390
If he were smart, he would take the subjective opinion of some faggot who has all of the flagship headphones from that price range right infront of him to test immediately by ear over the subjective opinion of some faggot who is parroting /g/ memes because he's got buyers remorse from having objectively worse headphones.
>>
>>54888429
> objectivism in headphones
>>
File: 20151202_165813.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151202_165813.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>54888326
> as none of these guys have actually tried the X2's
I did. Pic related was one of my two X2.

> and are just parroting crap about it because it's better than their set of headphones.
The headphones I have now are better than X2 imo.

>Anybody who has heard the X2's when compared to anything in its price range will choose the X2's.
Yes, if a generally dark sound, with weak sub-bass, loose mid-bass, recessed mids and uneven treble is what anybody looks for.

>Case in point.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTO7004syOA
It's a subjective opinion.

>>54888350
> music taste is irrelevant.
Complex music genres, having lots of instruments and wide dynamic range, need a balanced/neutral headphone to be fully appreciated.
>>
>>54888565
>need a balanced/neutral headphone to be fully appreciated
Any music genre benefits from that.
>>
>>54888592
Generally yes, even though I wouldn't spend as much as 200€ for a headphone, if I only listened to trash metal, trance, techno, house and other bass-heavy crap.
>>
>>54888565
>Yes, if a generally dark sound, with weak sub-bass, loose mid-bass, recessed mids and uneven treble is what anybody looks for.

Biggest load of bullshit ever.
Also nice picture from headfi.

Guess you have better hearing than Tyll too, because he says they put the HD 600's to shame.
>>
I love my X2s, even if I could get better sound quality for something in the same price range, I definitely could not get something with better build quality.
>>
File: 1441420751450.jpg (25 KB, 600x305) Image search: [Google]
1441420751450.jpg
25 KB, 600x305
>>54888125
Sennheiser anon here, it's not that, exactly, it sounds quite decent on a portable music player or through a DAC. But my god, it has some serious issues on the 10 ohm alc892.
Would a Fiio E10K do the trick?
>>
>>54887039
>extra money
Pretty case. That's about it.

>>54885745
We used to keep an SL-1200 around, not anymore.
Besides the turntable, you need a cartridge and phono preamp. The latter may be integrated into the player, depending on the model.

>>54886764
>There are no decent shops nearby where I could just go and try different headphones.
I wouldn't be so sure about that, besides the poorest or most remote places.

You can learn it on your own by playing with a parametric EQ and comparing results to measure. This can also help set your expectations better.
Reviews in general are not helpful, a waste of time if you are interested in sound quality.
>>
>>54888620
>Guess you have better hearing than Tyll too, because he says they put the HD 600's to shame.
And I guess you don't know tyll removed them from the hall of fame because he realized they're actually shit
>>
>>54888565
>The headphones I have now are better than X2 imo.
What headphones are they?
>>
>>54888616
>bass-heavy crap
quality of mixing aesthetics in particular genres is subjective, you if you dislike it that's fine, but it doesn't imply in lack of quality at all.
>>
File: 20151031_201402.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151031_201402.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>54888620
>Biggest load of bullshit ever.
It's wjat measurements tell though. Nothing bad if you love your X2, noone is calling you retarded because of this. The choice of a headphone always relies on one's personal favourite sound signature after all.
>Also nice picture from headfi.
It's not from headfi, I was the first to post this pic right here months ago. Pic related is another one.
>Guess you have better hearing than Tyll too, because he says they put the HD 600's to shame.
HD600 is generally overrated. He also admitted that putting the X2 on his wall of fame was also a mistake btw.

>>54888642
K702.
>>
>>54888638
>And I guess you don't know tyll removed them from the hall of fame
True, true, I did not know that.

>because he realized they're actually shit
Not at all, his reasoning for removing them is quite sound. I've tried the HE400S's and they're quite a spectacular headphone in that price range.

Doesn't change the fact that both he, and everybody else who has listened to the X2's consider them better sounding in almost all fields than the HD600's.
>>
If I'm having awful frequency warping issues with sennheisers, is moving to a low impedance DAC actually going to fix the problem? Or is it just a problem with the headphones themselves?
>>
>>54888624
>Would a Fiio E10K do the trick?
Every DAC having less than 4 Ohm output impedance would do the trick. X2 don't need an amp.
>>
>>54888735
>X2
518, my friend
>>
>>54888712
I've heard the 400S have ver sub-par bass, especially for planar headphones, also that build quality looks plasticy as fuck compared to X2s.
>>
>>54888720
>If I'm having awful frequency warping issues with sennheisers, is moving to a low impedance DAC actually going to fix the problem?
Maybe
> Or is it just a problem with the headphones themselves?
No, but don't expect your Sennheisers to sound as good as Sennshills portray them.
>>
>>54886097
What the fuck are those hps on her head?
>>
>>54888750
What I said also applies to the HD518.
>>
>>54888720
>>54888624
>DAC
Amplifier
>Would a Fiio E10K do the trick?
Sure. So does a parametric EQ.
>>
>>54888760
>don't expect your Sennheisers to sound as good as Sennshills portray them
While I'm not exactly blown away with how good they sound, connected to an ipod they are definitely a substantial improvement on my previous gaymur headset, so I'm just trying to get that level of performance on a computer as well, rather than feeling like I'm listening through a long metal tube
I'm just slightly concerned over spending more on another gadget only to realise that the headphones still sound like ass
>>
>>54888757
The bass is their weakest point, and yes, they do look and feel like shit, which is why I actually prefer my X2's to them, but other than those two shortcomings they are very good for the price.
>>
>>54888786
Keep in mind that I'm not meming about sound that makes you screw up your face in disgust, it's a pretty severe muffling/distortion effect
I've tried turning the lower end of frequencies down in an equaliser and it doesn't really do the trick
>>
>>54888792
Most Sennheiser open headphones have a nasty impedance peak at around 100 Hz, which makes their bass sound like mud if they're connected to a high output impedance source. Find a DAC with a low output impedance and you should be ok.

>>54888802
>The bass is their weakest point
Which is pretty bad, considering that bass should be the strongest point of any planar headphone. Good job, Hifi-Chinaman!
>>
>>54888849
>Keep in mind that I'm not meming about sound that makes you screw up your face in disgust, it's a pretty severe muffling/distortion effect
I believe you.
>I've tried turning the lower end of frequencies down in an equaliser and it doesn't really do the trick
I'm fairly sure you went for the wrong frequency range, you aimed too low. What you are are talking about is just a frequency issue.
>>
>>54888865
>which makes their bass sound like mud if they're connected to a high output impedance source
even if they aren't connected to a source with high output impedance, they still sound muddy because of excessive upper bass and lower mids
>>
File: 20160112_111047.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160112_111047.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>54888927
>even if they aren't connected to a source with high output impedance, they still sound muddy because of excessive upper bass and lower mids
That's Sennheiser's house sound though. After testing some open Sennheisers at a friend's place, I was happy that I had bought a different headphone.
>>
>>54888991
can't stand the sibilance on those. it's a shame cuz i liked everything else
>>
>>54889009
>can't stand the sibilance on those.
It's true that they emohasize high frequencies, but in my case I find them sibilant only on poorly mastered music. 90% of the music I usually listen to doesn't sound sibilant at all to me on these.
> it's a shame cuz i liked everything else
You could have simply toned the 5 kHz-8 kHz area down to solve that problem.
>>
File: 1445433888269.jpg (145 KB, 1404x556) Image search: [Google]
1445433888269.jpg
145 KB, 1404x556
>>
Serious question faggots.

TH-X00 vs X2's?
>>
>>54889914
Serious question, nigger.

Closed or open?
>>
>>54889927
No idea, I've only used closed.
I was hoping one was just going to be flat out better than the other.
>>
>>54889954
You'd be right if they were comparable.
TH-X00 are more accurate, but they don't have the benefits of being open.
>>
>>54889987
open doesn't bring any benefits, only shit sub bass
>>
>>54890036
Larger soundstage, ventilation, being able to hear what's going on around you, if that's what you prefer.
Plenty of open headphones don't lack subbass.
>>
>>54890069
>Plenty of open headphones don't lack subbass.
And those are several hundreds more expensive than a closed headphone with the same sub bass
>>
>>54890092
You're right, but you're also moving the goalposts :-)
>>
Continuing on with this TH-X00 vs X2 shit, which one would be superior for somebody who likes Trance, VGM and Ambient?
>>
>>54890212
X00
>>
>>54890212
Flip a coin or stop comparing apples and oranges.
>>
Should i get this iem for $25?
>>
So I've run into a bit of a pickle. I'm in need of a new headset, and this time I need something wireless.

I've currently got a Plantronics GameCom 780 and the sound quality and build quality is fine for what I need.

>Budget: Under $100
>Location: United States of Freedom
>Source: Wireless
>Preferred type of headphone: Basically a Plantronics GameCom 780 with wireless
>Open or closed: Closed
>Comfort level: As best as possible, a little better then the 780 if possible
>Preferred tonal balance: I do a lot of voip stuff, so probably mids heavy, right?
>Preferred music: Classic rock (Beatles, pink floyd) and other unimportant stuff.
>Past headphones: Plantronics GameCom 780

Basically it just needs to be comfy, wireless, and have a mic. On headphone mute/volume is a really nice plus.

Thanks for taking a look at this.
>>
>>54890504
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-wireless#SsPFiqdb5Vo1WkHd.97
>>
Any good cheap headphones for monitoring? Budget is below $100.
>>
>>54891411
sony mdr-7506
>>
Daily reminder that the best headphone in the world is the Stax L700
>>
Has anyone tried amping Sony MDR MA900 ?

I know MA900 doesn't really need amping in stock mode (unless you mod the impedance compensator), but I'm tempted to buy Geek Out 1000 amp to pair it because it comes with a really good built-in DAC.
>>
>>54891693

the amp in question
http://marketplace.lhlabs.com/products/geek-out-1000-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier
>>
>>54890212
None, get a HD600.
>>
File: 1409443178358.jpg (4 MB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
1409443178358.jpg
4 MB, 3072x2048
>>54891411
MDR V6 or 7506, built like a tank, industry standard for the last 30 years.
The only downside are the pads that don't last long, but you can get Auray Sheep Skin Pads for it later, those isolate better and last longer.
>>
>>54886097
IF DESKTOP THREADS WERE MOVED TO >>>/w/ THEN THIS SHIT THREAD BELONGS TO >>>/mu/

FUCK OFF
>>
>>54892225
>Auray Sheep Skin Pads
How do those compare to the Beyerdynamic EDT250V?
I've got those on my 7506 now, feels ok but doesn't isolate as much as I'd like.
>>
File: 1354592464247.jpg (860 KB, 600x974) Image search: [Google]
1354592464247.jpg
860 KB, 600x974
>>54892250
If the topic was music, yes, just has the topic on desktop threads was usually visual aesthetics instead of technology behind it, the topic on /HPG/ however is headphones, which usually involves discussions about measurements, frequency responses, built quality, amplification etc, which, you guess it, is /g/.

Deal with it.
>>
>>54892225

Does the new pads get you better or diferent sound? The FR shows them laking on the bass
>>
>>54892336
>>54892394
Never tested the DT250 pads on the V6, but i did compared the stock V6 pads to the Auray ones, they have better seal which both, isolate better and brings the bass a little foward.
They also offer a bit more room for my ears, by i have big ears, so maybe that's not an issue for you guys at all.
>>
>>54892383
>that pic
Anybody know which headphones do the ideal response?
>>
>>54892482
Planar and electrostatic usually get the bass right at the expense of the treble, dynamic usually are the other way around, your best bet for now is to pick whatever is closer to flat and general, which model that is is up to debate though.
>>
>>54892482
According to Tyll's measurements, Beats Solo, HD600 and Q701/K702/K701 come close to the ideal response.
>>
File: DSC_0050-01.jpg (2 MB, 2409x1804) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0050-01.jpg
2 MB, 2409x1804
I like these tho with the time
>>
>>54886097

looking to get a new head set with a mike, or no mike and a decent standing mike

70 bucks is the most I can do
freedom land
USB
full sized
closed
comfy, as long as it doesn't sound like garbage its fine, but I don;t want to re adjust it every 30 minutes or take it off because ti hurting my ears
not really sure
alternative rock, weeb shit, electronic, some metal and some rap. almost anything but country music and heavy dubstep
Logitech G930, sound was okand they were comfy enough that I didn't mind wearing them for hours, the first pair I owned was a hand me down from a friend and those lasted about a year they crapped out. and I bought a second pair on sale for 85 bucks and those lasted me almost two years, but along with its random ass problems, the mike snapped off and right side has a piece that snapped off

needed to be wireless since I like to roam around the house listening to music
>>
I need some help, my current headphones have been falling apart lately:

>Budget:
Max 150€, I might be able to pay 200€ if really needed
>Location:
Finland, most likely buying from http://www.thomann.de/en/ .
You can suggest me some other good european websites if you know. European because taxes, toll etc.
>Source:
Usually flac/320kbps mp3, PC(Asus Xonar DX) / Phone
>Preferred type of headphone:
Over-the-ears
>Open or closed:
Open
>Comfort level:
As good as possible, going to keep on for 7 hours or so per day.
>Preferred tonal balance:
I don't know, I'm not good with this stuff. Not too bassy. I want a clear sound. Balanced I guess?

>Preferred music:
Orchestral/classical, electronic/dance, rarely some vocaloid. Often my music has piano or violin in them.
Some samples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mc0OSVrhoE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzWk_I304Sg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLNdqKq3c5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riGRlbmFkOg&t=44

>Past headphones:
Currently have Logitech UE6000. I have had for like 3-4 years now.
I don't like how bass heavy these are for some music, it makes the other sounds sound a bit mushy.
On the comfort level these are not as good as I would like. I don't like the leather-like earpads so I wish I could get something comfier for summer this time.
I also like the isolation for bus trips I take around once a month.

Any suggestions?
>>
File: 20160603_141200.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160603_141200.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
Posting my babies
>>
>>54886097
http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Headphones-M-ACCS-00152-Monitor-Black/dp/B00D3ITOHG

been using these for ~2 ish years? now. NO complaints whatsoever. Audio tampering=0. Quality = 10/10. Really good at blocking out sound too for when I want to study in a loud area and just listen to music. Lost the travel bag in the first month but It's really easy to just put it in a pocket in my backpack.

Would highly recommend.
>>
>>54892988
Nice headphones but both mine and my brothers developed a slight buzzing sound in the right driver after a week so we returned them to amazon. Apart from that the only downside was the lack of sound stage really. After 2/2 pairs going wrong we couldn't be arsed buying them again. The hm5 pads are very nice but they actually make the headphones sound slightly worse ;/, i'm guessing that they come with those extremely thin pads for a reason.
>>
>>54892943
>>54893067
Samefagging my marshalls here because i'm a shill. Look into them. These songs sound really crisp.

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php start to hear a really deep bomb at 10Hz ears hurt if the volume is like 40%. Goes until 190 and then cuts of as the guy says 200 exactly.

Second test hits audio at ~ 20kHz

I don't know what perceptual flatness is but I can hear audio all the way through the clip.

Dynamic Range: he gets quieter I guess. I think that's what the test was supposed to be. Near the end I couldn't hear him much at ll but I had my volume really low.

Quality: no buzzing whatsoever but I didnt turn volume up becasue ears hurt now

Driver matching was centered

Wiring seems good. Left is left right is right duno what twisted and center do

OH FUCK BINAURAL I thought someone was fucking knocking on my door or chair or something. i fucking looked left and right. That's some spooky shit holy fuck.

srs doe marshall over the ears or fucking god quality.
>>
>>54892943
HD598
>>
>>54892930
Was going to suggest you SHP9500 + V-Moda Boompro, but i guess that's over your budget, maybe SHP9500 + Zalman Mic ZM1?
>>
File: 009.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
009.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>54892988
Those look comfy!
Was just tyring to photograph mine, but i suck at taking pics in general
>>
>>54893238
I'm not really good with audio terms and so on and I have no idea what each sound frequency sounds like. Could you try explain for a common person like me?

>>54893251
I have been looking at HD598 for a while. I tried a pair of my friend's and they felt a bit awkward on my head. Do the ear cups shape for the user's head? I didn't get to try how they sound since I was at school and in a bit of hurry.
>>
File: audio-setup-3.png (432 KB, 1419x677) Image search: [Google]
audio-setup-3.png
432 KB, 1419x677
>>54886097
Fucking love these headphones ;)
>>
>>54893352
>I'm not really good with audio terms and so on and I have no idea what each sound frequency sounds like. Could you try explain for a common person like me?

I went to this website: http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

And did their audio tests and posted them chronologically. My marshals were able to play in the "good headphone range" for all the tests and they had some frightening bass that I didn't realize they had because I always have my volume ~15%.

The Binaural test whatever that means plays sounds in left and right ear. It sounded like a real person was knocking on a door on my side and I kinda freaked the fuck out because I thought someone was trying to get my attention. On top of that they're ~100$ at amazon. On top of that this website, whatever it is i'm not an audiophile, gives it a 9.1 ranking http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/marshall-monitor-review.

I got these headphones because an audiophile friend of mine recommended them to me and they were on discount. I cannot say I have a single complaint and I hope that I can use these until I die.
>>
>>54893279

looking at a few reviews and people are saying they're great

and they're wireless too?

probably pick them up if that's the case
>>
>>54893352
>I tried a pair of my friend's and they felt a bit awkward on my head.
Did you put them on backwards? It is very comfortable.
>>
>>54893501
Not wireless, but the cable is detachable and it doesn't have a proprietary cable gimmick, so if the cable ever breaks (or if you need a longer/shorter one for any reason) you can just pick any cable and it will work just fine.
That's exactly the reason why i was going to suggest V-moda Boompro, the Philips would accept it and V-Moda stuff lasts very long.
>>
>Budget
250-350$
>Location
Europe
>Source
Magni/Modi stack
>Preferred type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open, but doesn't really matter
>Comfort level
quality>comfort
>Past headphones
AKG K550, nice enough, a bit too bass heavy.

hd 598, best price/performance I could find.

I'm mostly looking for something new, I've gotten quite bored of my hd 598s, the sound quality itself is good though, so I don't think the 650s would be worth it if they have the same sound signature with better sound quality.
>>
>>54893315
Are those vmodas the m100 crossfades? How do they compare to your other cans?
>>
File: q701 k702.jpg (262 KB, 1598x1200) Image search: [Google]
q701 k702.jpg
262 KB, 1598x1200
>>54893596
>Bored of HD598 signature
>Magni/Modi stack
>Open
>K550 is nice but a bit too bass heavy
Literally the K702.
>>
>>54893596
K702
>>
>>54893519
I believe I didn't. They might have just felt weird because my current headphones' earpads are so mushy.
Do the earpads on H598 shape according to the user? I wish they do.
>>
File: Setup (second version).png (2 MB, 1617x723) Image search: [Google]
Setup (second version).png
2 MB, 1617x723
>>54893624
M80 actually, it's the bassiest headphone of the bunch, sounds very similar to the M50 if that helps.
It rivals the V6 in built quality (and wins if you take in account that the pads last much longer), the others have good build quality but are a little less sturdy, the only one i think to be fragile enough that i'dbe worried if it falls to the ground is the AD900X.
M80 is by far the least comfortable for being On-Ear.
Stage is bigger than the V6, but smaller than all others.
I suppose it could work as a DJ monitor, but for recording both the V6 and the DT880 are much better monitors.
DT880 is the one i used the most so far, sounds great with pretty much any genre and is very comfortable, M80 is a bit to bassy for classical, just as AD900X may sound a bit to bass-light for some stuff.
>>
>>54893703
>Do the earpads on H598 shape according to the user?
They conform to the users head as most other velour lined foam pads do.
>>
are the hifiman he350 a good upgrade from my shp9500
I have an e10k amp/dac
>>
>>54894048
No
>>
>>54893979
Good to know, thanks.

I think I'm going to buy HD598 then.
>>
>>54893557

damn, it looks great but I like to listen to music around the house, which is why I want wireless

i'll keep looking
>>
>>54893663
Are they your q701's?, what are they like compared to the 702 and k712's m8?
>>
>>54893676
>>54893663
thanks
>>
Just bought some Beats that were on sale for $80 bucks. How much did I fuck up?
>>
>>54894702
about $80 bucks it seems
>>
>>54892250
This is technology discussion through and through and /hpg/ is also the audio general of /g/ most of the time. Anything related to music doesn't really belong here is the right way to look at it.

>>54892482
It depends on the target used. No headphone gets it right on any target but with the proper use of equalization you can get it very close. Square waves are something that really isn't useful to know in headphones. Frequency response plot tells you more and in a more convenient way.
>>
File: whichone.png (178 KB, 591x187) Image search: [Google]
whichone.png
178 KB, 591x187
Hey /g/ i'm a poorfag, and i'm not sure which one of these two i should buy.
Sennheiser HD 439 or Marshall Major ii
Don't bother suggesting other headphones, in my shitty country these are the closest to perfect for my needs
The marshall is cheaper than the senns.
Portability isn't that important
Looks are semi important (leaning towards the marshall on this, but since i'm not going to take them out much anyway it's not that important)
Sound is important
Comfort is semi important
Durability is very important
Extra features are important

I want opinions on both headphones, give each other a fair chance because if i fuck up i can't afford to get another.
Help plis
>>
>>54896181
Is it illegal to import from online? I don't see the problem if you ordered it online. I imported headphone stuff from US Amazon to the other side of the world.
>>
>>54896181
>Durability is very important
don't buy any snapheisers then
>>
>>54896224
Oh and yeah inb4 shipping fees kill the deal. Then order headphones from China. Superlux. Takstar.
>>
>>54896224
i'm buying these from within the country.
brick and mortar stores.
problem with shipping is that the fees & tax/tariff whatever absolutely ruins the point of buying budget headphones
>>
>>54896252
damn, i was under the impression only the 595's did this.
a quick google search has me horrified.
broken. headbands. everywhere.
whereas most reviews state the marshall headband is rather flexible.
thanks man
>>
>>54888712
>Not at all, his reasoning for removing them is quite sound
"I saw a lot of posts subsequent to my review that indicated folks thought I kinda blew it on that pick. In retrospect, they're right"
>>
Did you guys check reddit's guy's review on the STAX 2170? He's saying it's gods gift to humanity, and he did a sound demo.

Do you guys think he's just tipping his fedora? Sound demo sounds great though, but how accurate are sound demos usually?
>>
>>54894702
any other thoughts? they're Beats Solo 2 On-Ear Headphones - Black btw.
>>
>>54896569
who cares about someone's opinion on something?
>>
>>54896593
People who are interested in the same thing, but don't have it? What do you think?
>>
>>54896598
what makes you think his opinion is better than anyone elses?
>>
>>54896569
>but how accurate are sound demos usually?
Not at all. They are affected by sum of the microphone response, the coupler response used for recording as well as your headphones/loudspeakers which you use to listen through the demo. You can use the demo to get a relative comparison between different headphones but on their own, not accurate at all. You mostly just forget listening to anyone's subjective opinions and anecdotal evidence(which is what most audio discussion on the internet revolves around) on sound if you want to know learn. Here's a much better collection of recorded relative comparisons of headphones:

https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test
>>
>>54896631
Well I don't know anything about headphones and he's tried a whole lot of them. So I just came to ask my homeboys on /hpg/.

>>54896669
Thanks for this.
>>
>>54896699
he likes the srs-2170 more than the sr-007 and hd800

some very controversial opinions to be following if you ask me, don't get me wrong the 2170 system is good but not that good.
>>
>>54896669
I listened for a bit to compare the V6 and the MDR-7506 which I'm using right now, and I feel like the V6's are better. Is this just placebo?
>>
>>54896722
how is that controversial at all?
SR-207 is more accurate than SR-007 and HD 800
>>
>>54896810
lol
>>
>Budget
$200
>Location
Canada
>Source
Laptop/Desktop -> 3.5mm-RCA -> Antique Yamaha amp (RX300U I think the impedance on it is only 16 ohms)
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Impartial
>Comfort level
Willing to sacrifice for audio quality
>Preferred tonal balance
Warm or Neutral. These would be replacing DT660's so I guess slight leaning towards Neutral
>Preferred music
Little bit of everything with the exception of American CountryPop
>Past headphones
2010: ATH M50s (falling apart but easy to repair)
2013: DT660
2015: JVC HA-RX700 (gotten for free)
>>
File: 1452705340417.jpg (442 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
1452705340417.jpg
442 KB, 2688x1520
>>54896699
>Thanks for this.
Man I should've proof read that post tho.

Most Lambdas sound and perform more or less the same though. You could give them a go. I recommend a demo in a store if possible as their sound signature definitely isn't for everyone. I'd say if you are new to headphones and audio you are unlikely to be disappointed, unless you want a ton of bass.

>>54896745
Magnitude response differences above audible thresholds have nothing to do with placebo. There are some variables which could've affected that result. V6 and 7056 are very close to each other in terms of sound signature. What's better is subjective and also has nothing to do with placebo. /g/ should just stop using that term.

Understand that you are listening to the V6 response through your headphones here. You should get the similar sensation while listening the 7506 response using V6 assuming the units behave the same as the ones used in the comparison and that the measurement rig doesn't have a large impact on the response compared to your ears. What you might have discovered is that the sum of the responses is more or less to your liking. The problem here would be to to understand the difference and using it to fix the response if your headphones with equalization.

>>54896810
Accuracy is moot if target isn't defined.
>>
>>54896960
>Accuracy is moot if target isn't defined.
DF
GE
Harman
>>
$300
USA
FiioE10k
full size
comfort: enough not to hurt with glasses
Neutral
hardcore, trance, metal, math rock, classical
XPT100 and 9500s
I'm pretty happy with the Philips EQ'd towards the Harman curve, but I feel as if they lack lower bass and the grainy treble can be annoying on some things. Also, I can't decide between open or closed; I'm thinking closed because of the lack of bass and insulation are annoying. semi-open worth looking into?
>>
>>54896960
>a demo in a store if possible

No such thing exists in my country. I wish I was American.
>>
>>54897230
>I'm pretty happy with the Philips EQ'd towards the Harman curve, but I feel as if they lack lower bass
no shit, you're probably breaking the seal with your glasses
>>
Has anyone tried putting leather pads on their HD600? Did it make them sound very worse?

I'm sick of how the fabric pads get stuffy quickly.
>>
>>54897319
There is no difference with or without my glasses.
>>
>>54897613
you fucked up the EQ then. post a screenshot.
>>
File: shp9500.png (15 KB, 814x475) Image search: [Google]
shp9500.png
15 KB, 814x475
>>54897644
>>
>>54897719
yeah, you need to use a parametric equalizer
>>
File: 1438553659573.jpg (21 KB, 218x265) Image search: [Google]
1438553659573.jpg
21 KB, 218x265
>>54888565
>taking a picture on top of a chess board to make it look more sophisticated than it really is

funny, especially since i have the same board.
>>
Old headphones falling apart, any suggestions?

>Budget
<$100
>Location
US
>Source
PC
Full-sized
>Comfort level
Wearable for hours without constricting my brain
>Past headphones
Used a 668B and liked 'em

Don't particularly care about music, mostly gaymen
>>
I just bought some Beats Solo 2's that were on sale for $80, and I mostly listen to rock but I still enjoy bass and punchy sounds. How bad did I fuck up? Should note that I'm only used to earphones and my most expensive earphones before were the apple $30 ones. I'm a poorfag I know.
>>
>>54898081
681 EVO or 558 if you can get them on sale

>take care of your headphones you mouth-breathing troglodyte
>>
>>54898184
s-sorry

I'll take care of my next headphones
>>
>>54898184
>681 EVO

How can you recommend those headphones? Have you even had them? They're trash, even for the price. The only redeemable qualities are the detachable cable, and the extra ear pads, but they don't sound great and they have shit build quality.
>>
Why is wireless frowned upon?
>>
>>54898243
What sounds better for the price kiddo? Stop meming.
>>
File: 1463082448069.jpg (895 KB, 4096x3017) Image search: [Google]
1463082448069.jpg
895 KB, 4096x3017
>budget
Whatever I feel like. But I'm poor as shit. Though it will be an investment. Though I don't see myself going over 300 euros.
>Location
the rich educated part of europe that has an integration problem but is not an island
>Source
My PC, or anything with a headphone jack like phones and whatnot.
>full-sized, closed
>Comfortlevel
>Would you be willing to accept less comfortable headphones if it meant better sound quality?
Sure.
>tonal balance
Probably boosted bass but I can't say for sure.
>Preferred music
Literally every genre that's melodic and not ear-rape. Some degree of ear-rape is fine.
>Past headphones
Too cheap to make a difference.
>>
>>54898295
The guide in the OP has at least a few better ones, faggot. The EVO's suck dick.
>>
Hey guys, I was looking at the AiAiAi TMA-2s, what's the best configuration for producing music. I would assume a flat configuration maybe a
S01-E01
or
S03-E03

Any suggestions?
>>
>>54899205
Or you just don't buy AIAIAI.
>>
>>54898375
>Probably boosted bass but I can't say for sure.
Well if you don't know then neither do I.

Anyway if you enjoy melodic and slightly bass boosted music I think you'd like the HE-400S. If you want to spend some more money for a more refined sound, get the 400i. They both go on big sales intermittently.
>>
Holy shit. I finally understand why you guys in these threads are so into headphones. Just upgraded from using shitty $20 headphones most of my life to a TH-X00 today and the difference is astonishing.

I can hear instruments that I didn't even know were playing in songs, and the bass in electronic songs sounds like being at a real show. Thanks to whoever recommended them to me a few threads back, absolutely worth the investment
>>
I am really considering getting some Jaybird X2's. I heard the sound signature is pretty good from multiple people. But I still feel like they are meme tier at like $95 on Amazon
>>
>>54899994
Just don't get sucked into this shitty hobby and be happy with your X00s.
>>
File: 1453501788400.jpg (26 KB, 215x365) Image search: [Google]
1453501788400.jpg
26 KB, 215x365
I need a headphone that is
>lightweight
>closed-back (will be used in an environment with lots of background noise)
>over-ear or on-ear (no iem eardildos cumming inside my tight virgin earpussy please)
>can make detailed sound with relatively good accuracy; doesn't sound like shit
>any tonal balance is fine
>[spoiler]under $50[/spoiler]

Does this exist? I haven't found a headphone yet that has all of these.
>>
>>54900079
Lol, don't worry. As a college student I'm not in a financial position to buy any other audiophile level equipment for a while. I mostly enjoy reading about the technical side of it
>>
>>54898375

Akg k550 or the hd558 if you want to save money
>>
>>54900215
Your best bet is sony mdr7506

You can find them on amazon for 40 US

From what I've read they have pretty hot treble, but for recording purposes they're rather decent.
>>
What are some cheap headphones with decent active noise canceling?

They will only be used to listen to recordings of people speaking near a shitty microphone, so quality hardly matters.
>>
>>54900837
Why cancellation and not just passive isolation?
>>
>>54901388
Because they'll be used in distracting environments and being able to hear quiet or minute details of the recorded speech is important.
>>
>>54901454
>they'll be used in distracting environments and being able to hear quiet or minute details of the recorded speech is important.
And passive isolation won't be useful to isolate the listener from the distracting environments so that they can hear quite or minute details of the recording?
>>
>>54901479
Would active noise canceling not do it better?

What's the point of active noise canceling if it isn't better at canceling noise?
>>
>>54901497
>What's the point of active noise canceling if it isn't better at canceling noise?
Is this honestly the first time you've come across a gimmick to sell a product?
>>
>>54901497
ANC cancels different types of noise. More of a constant noise, like the drone of an engine or airplane turbines as it hurtles into the side of an iconic building.
This works by playing a sound with the opposite frequency of the drone, which cancels it out. But sudden , changing sounds Iike voices or car horns as they warn you to get of of the way before they smash half the bones in your fragile body - are not blocked because the system cannot respond that fast.
Passive means it just muffles the sound with foam or something, like a person's screams when you suffocate them with a pillow.
>inb4 tl:dr
>>
>>54900837
Etymotic dildos block out nuclear explosions. Too bad you hate them. Buy Bose.
>>
File: F3lbnT0.jpg (612 KB, 1836x2864) Image search: [Google]
F3lbnT0.jpg
612 KB, 1836x2864
Dear /hpg/, short term reader, first time writer.

So I was at my local swapmeet cucking the mexicans. (I got 6 flash dives totaling 41 gb for $3) I walked past a box with 2 pairs of Sony MDR-XD200's upon a quick google search, I noticed they retail at $30-100. With a quick bit of persuasion I received both pairs for $7. And my questions are as follows.

>What are your opinion of this situation or just the headphones?

I am basically deaf to the difference between most headphones. Getting my hearing tested is on my to do list for the month.
>Keep or sell?

Current Headphones: Koss UR-20
After writing this, I think I may just mod the hell out of them just for the adventure of wasting money.

Any thoughts appreciated.
>>
>>54903453
You could've had a $12 Rock Zircon instead of two XD faces.
>>
So, my PX100s just died on me, caught the cable on something and now it won't work on one side.

But anyway, if it's fixable that'd be great, but what portable headphones do you recommend?
>>
>>54903775
KSC75 with Partsexpress headband or Porta Pros
>>
>>54903775
Fill out the form or go with what >>54903804 recommended.
>>
>>54903775
Actually come to think of it, any foldable/portable headphones with a replaceable cable? Won't mind paying more in that case.

Otherwise might as well go for Portapros like (>>54903804) suggested
>>
>>54903775
>caught the cable on something and now it won't work on one side
Is it the side the cable is on that won't work? Either way it is fixable, but you may have to learn a bit of soldering if you don't already.
>>
>>54903775
>what portable headphones do you recommend?
IEMs. Piston 3 or e10 if you are cheap.
>>
>>54903941
Eh, i have some decent IEMs, but i don't find them too comfortable, but i guess i could give them a shot.

Incidentally, looking at the AKG K451 or Audio Technica ATH-SR5
>>
should I buy Oppo HA2 over mojo?
>>
Quick. Is a AD2000X for $400 worth buying?
>>
>>54893897
>waifu getting cucked by another woman
anon...
>>
>>54903775
Dunno your budget, but I recently invested in a pair of Beyerdynamic Custom Street.
They're quite good, very comfortable and good sound.
>>
>>54904407
depends, what are the prices you can get them at?
>>54904536
>AD2000X
Pretty good, but personally i'm highly suspicious of fixed cable headphones. i've broken far too many and it's an instant turn off
>>
>>54904656
You mean Larva? It's her guardian and friend, leave them be, they only have one another ;_;
>>
>>54904407
Do you need either of them? What are you driving?
>>
>>54905088
I can pretty much stretch my budget to buy mojo

>>54905796
I currently have Fiio K1 as dac, and planning to buy a Fostex T50rp or Audio technica MSR7
>>
What happened to speaker discussion
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (187 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
187 KB, 1920x1080
y/n

Xiaomi has a strong game in headphones.
>>
>>54907485
The piston 3's are better, less likely to be fake as
well
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1024x768
Anyone here tried the Doppio? is it worth an upgrade to my Tenore?
>>
>>54893279
>SHP9500 + V-Moda Boompro
Not that anon but thanks this solved my problems.
>>
Why does changing the audio in my soundcard audio center, also change the audio on my system volume slider? It isn't supposed to do that I hear.
>>
>>54892225
Probably just going to go for M40Xs since I always see people saying that they're better for monitoring+cheaper+detachable cable.
>>
>>54909379
>M40X
got them recently and although i havent tried the sony ones, i feel they deserve the 'hype' if you can call it that. amazing sound and no problems whatsoever.
>>
Is building a cmoy amp a meme?
>>
>tfw people spend literally thousands on amplifiers and dacs

But why? The only reason I even bought an amp/dac is because my headphone didn't come with a 3.5mm connector.
>>
>>54910459
What? What connector did they have
>>
>>54910600
6.3mm.
>>
So a tablet that I just got has a really bad audio port.

I'm thinking of just getting a separate DAC to just bypass the internal but its a USB C port.

any suggestions?

I'd like as absolutely small as possible
>>
>>54910459
Which amp/dac? Have you previously owned a relatively expensive amp/dac? What's it like?
>>
>Budget
25$
>Location
Mexico, but can jump the border
>Source
Phone
IEM
>Comfort level
High
>Past headphones
Hd598
>>
I have been looking for headphones to game on both pc and PS4, but mostly on PC. Are these steelseries siberia 800 worth the price? My budget is $300.
>>
>Budget
80€
>Location
Germany
>Source
Rockboxed Sansa Clip Plus and Galaxy s5
IEM
>Open or closed
>Comfort level
Pretty comforable ones, since I want to use them during workouts
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Preferred music
>Past headphones
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (Used them for workouts before, but the cable started to detach on one side. Repaired them already once but it started again, now on both sides)
Shure SE535 (Sent for warranty, since one sides filter got clogged I think and sound barely comes out of it. I doubt they will repair/send me a new pair)
>>
>>54912304
$150 at most and that's shure SRH440s with brainwavz HM5 pads, and if you want a microphone get a antlion modmic
>>
>>54910459
Some headphones need to be driven 'properly'. I own the o2 amp and even I feel like i'm in meme city, spending more is absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>54912606
Forgot to mention, what I would like to have:
remote (forward, pause, back)
Detachable cable, though I doubt you can get that with this budget
Tips, that are compatible with the ones from Shure IEMs
>>
File: IM03.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
IM03.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
ask me anything
>>
>>54913429
why are you here and not on reddit where you belong
>>
>>54913439
i'm good right here
>>
>Sony MDR-7506
>O2+ODAC
>Can hear so much new stuff in songs I never heard before

It's actually really weird and really freaky. Sometimes it feels like there's someone else in the room making these sounds, but it's actually from the song.
>>
File: IMG_0462-1.jpg (1 MB, 1443x2501) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0462-1.jpg
1 MB, 1443x2501
Looks like I just need CD900ST to complete my Sony collection
>>
>>54913547
>Looks like I just need CD900ST
don't we all
>>
>>54913517

Does 7506 stil sound spikey in the high mids and treble though?
>>
>>54913517
>Can hear so much new stuff in songs I never heard before
must have come from some terrible $5 smartphone earbuds if that's your perception with the 7506
>O2+ODAC
what an unnecessary expense for those headphones
>>
File: IMG_0426.jpg (3 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0426.jpg
3 MB, 3456x2304
>>54913547
>>54913574

bloggin time

I was at e-Earphone at Akihabara ~3 weeks ago. These guys have plenty of CD900ST, but decided to go with MA900 because they only have ONE unit that is brand new. I owned this before (sold it because I needed emergency cash) and I really loved the comfort, tight bass/midbass and really really wide soundstage.
I wish the white boxed CD900ST was with me, but I have no more space in my carry-on since I bought some nice figures (pic related)
>>
>>54913722
>akiba
end your life you pathetic weeb
>>
>>54913744
i really like how you are so pathetic you have nothing better to do but monitor these threads day and night and write some sort of edgy reply to every single post

you aren't even funny, how do you function in real life
>>
>>54913429
How do the hd600 compare to the akg 702?

What is your opinion on the akg k712 compared to the 650 lad
>>
File: binbo oujosama.jpg (3 MB, 3168x4752) Image search: [Google]
binbo oujosama.jpg
3 MB, 3168x4752
>>54913722
>I wish the white boxed CD900ST was with me, but I have no more space in my carry-on since I bought some nice figures (pic related)
>>
>>54913600
I don't know all the terms for headphones but maybe?

The bass feels overpowering in some songs. Like, it's as if the entire housing is actually vibrating with 1000x intensity right next to my ears.

The highs (I don't know what the fuck highs are), like you know drums, snares cymbals and whatever, feel really spiky I would say. Like some motherfucker is hammering a nail in your ears. Other than that it's pretty good.

>>54913625
>must have come from some terrible $5 smartphone earbuds if that's your perception with the 7506

No, I was using a $2 computer headset with a microphone on it. You know those cheap shit that they sell at your local brick and mortar?
>>
>>54913768
>hit the nail on the head
>>54913783
stop spamming your shit tier figures here, fuck off to >>>/a/buyfag
>>
>>54913791
>the entire housing is actually vibrating with 1000x intensity right next to my ears.

does MDR 7506 actually do this?
>>
>>54913791
>like you know drums, snares cymbals and whatever, feel really spiky I would say. Like some motherfucker is hammering a nail in your ears
welcome to bright headphones
>>
>>54913824
No, I'm exaggerating. If I put my hands on the headphones then it doesn't vibrate at all. It's just that the bass feels so thin but connected to my O2 it's like it's being fed too much power. Or something. I dunno, it just sounds bad in my opinion.
>>
>>54913841
Fuck and I was planning on getting the HD800 at a later date. I always hear they are bright but I never knew what the fuck bright meant. But I don't want a god damn spike sound all the time.
>>
>>54913873
Consider something like the HD650 in that case.
>>
>>54913847

just wait until you connect it to 1000mw class A amp like geek out 1000
>>
>>54913884
Will definitely do, thanks. I think I'm gonna travel to an audio store and audition several headphones before I purchase anything more expensive than this Sony 7506.
>>
>>54913873

Do not get HD800 that does not come with S suffix. Word on the internets is that the S-suffix model fixed the spikey treble.
Do not get HD800 if you can't afford to get the Sennheiser HD800-exclusive amp/dac at the same time
>>
>>54913873
Something around that price point would be Ether. It has no real annoying spikes so I would consider it instead of the HD800 if I was in your position.
>>
>>54913905
Look at you, saying something intelligent, on 4chan. If people thought like that more often, these threads wouldn't literally be GPU brandwars but with headphones.
>>
>>54913928
>Do not get HD800 if you can't afford to get the Sennheiser HD800-exclusive amp/dac at the same time
Don't take this terrible advice.
>>
>>54913928
>Do not get HD800 that does not come with S suffix. Word on the internets is that the S-suffix model fixed the spikey treble.

What the fuck it's like $500 more expensive. Why? As far as I can tell it's just black and comes with 1 more cable.

>Do not get HD800 if you can't afford to get the Sennheiser HD800-exclusive amp/dac at the same time

haha fuck no. I may not know much about headphones but I'm not getting some exclusive amp or dac for a pair of headphones. My O2 and ODAC will do fine.

>>54913937
Damn that looks cool. Are we talking Ether or Ether C? I assume they sound differently.

>>54913940
I mean it's just fucking dumb and wasteful spending money on something like speakers or headphones when you haven't heard how it sounds before. It's like a motorcycle. Gotta testride that shit beforehand.
>>
sennheiser shills out in full force today
>>
sup /hpg/, newfag to headphones here. Just lost my Shure SE215s. Is there any better value than these iem's out there, for that price range (~$100)? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy another pair? I frequent /csg/ a lot and hear them mention piston 3s by xiaomi frequently, are they good?
>>
File: IMG_1623.jpg (829 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1623.jpg
829 KB, 2000x1333
>>54913983
>I mean it's just fucking dumb and wasteful spending money on something like speakers or headphones when you haven't heard how it sounds before.
That's exactly right, but people invest too much in the opinions of others and are then disappointed by the result.

>What the fuck it's like $500 more expensive. Why? As far as I can tell it's just black and comes with 1 more cable.
Something something Helmholtz resonator.
>>
>>54913983
>Damn that looks cool. Are we talking Ether or Ether C? I assume they sound differently.
They measure similarly. The main difference is that one is open and the other closed.
>>
>>54914014
>Something something Helmholtz resonator.

No idea what the fuck that is and I'm too lazy to Google, but I'll assume it makes a minor difference.

>>54914023
Ok that's sweet I'll look into the Ether closely. Wonder if it's in the local store.
>>
>>54913774
702 are cold, all work and no play

imo they are for geezers that listen to slow music that relies on string separation like dire straits

712 are a lot better balanced and probably the best AKG offering in the 7xx line-up, but require beefy amplification

ive never been able to compare them to the 650 directly but they are closer to the 600s without being as soft on the ears
>>
>>54913429
which is more veiled?
>>
>>54914068
You can have a read up if you're curious
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-800-s-tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response

Also some measurements on a flat coupler to better illustrate the differences (grain of salt etc)
http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/sennheiser-hd800s-measurements-unsanctionned.907/

Consensus on the Ether 1.1 seems to be a comfy planar with HD6X0 signature response. Definitely something to look into.
>>
>>54914091
funnily enough when both are properly driven the 600s exhibits more of the "veil"

it has a cooler midrange and thus vocals and guitars sound just a bit more distant and thinner

650s aren't even dark or veiled when amplified properly; they have a very full and slightly more forward mid-range, with maybe a hair less treble energy but no lack of detail
>>
>>54913429
Which would you recommend more to newbies?
>>
>>54914108
So like, treble and bright sound, is that only 6Khz? Or is treble and bright sound spread across a larger range?
>>
>>54914108
>Consensus on the Ether 1.1 seems to be a comfy planar with HD6X0 signature response.
sounds like you're getting your """"consensus"""" from people with shit for ears. ether isn't veiled and actually has subbass.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.