[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do people use linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 5
why do people use linux
>>
>>54886046
to fill the void while chinese cartoons are downloading
>>
>>54886046
Give me one good reason not to.

It's free, it works fine for my uses, and I haven't had any serious issues with it yet.
>>
>>54886067
This
>>
>>54886046
Because it works better than Window for what I do.
>>
i wish she had a dick
>>
>>54886046
Who dis?
>>
>>54886080
>she
>>
>you will never be good enough for her
>>
>>54886046
It works. It's free. It's fun to use.
>>
Too bad she's from Turkey.
>>
>>54886046
Its free, its stable, its well documented. Software cross compatibility with Windows in extremely high through WINE as well too, though admittedly it still needs plenty of work. Linux is always going to be something on the fringes of computing as far as user adoption for desktop computing goes, but it is always going to be the far more stable alternative to Windows and OSX or whatever version of Apple homOS is current.

>>54886086
Anzu Jaamu.
Tiny cosplay popstar living in Turkey.

>>54886120
She is a biological woman. Stop with your meme shitposting.
>>
>>54886155
don't see the problem
>>
>>54886168
biological cockroach maybe
>>
Eye candy. No other reason.
>>
>>54886144
+1, linux is a lot of fun and a hacker's best friend
>>
>>54886203
you what lad? lincucks has the ugliest UI of all
>>
>>54886222
It has whatever UI you give it. You're not locked into any one thing, every single user facing aspect is interchangeable, end the back end is.
>>
>>54886222
Unbuntu mate has the best looking ui of all.
>>
I want her to step on my genitals and call me mean names.
>>
>>54886222
The possibilities with linux are endless. You can install whatever UI you want and make it look like anything you want it to look like.
>>
>>54886328
ubuntu is GNU, not linux
>>
>>54886046
I can do everything else but play recent directx games
>>
File: reeeeeee.gif (783 KB, 398x224) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeee.gif
783 KB, 398x224
because they're niggers
>>
>>54886067
Your potential future workplace will require you to use Windows and you can't do it fluently if you just use a Linux system. You are also too fat and smell bad. You can still change this anon!
>>
>>54886046
Because it's so fucking easy to use
For normally hard to do tasks on Windows
>>
>>54886342
It has the Linux kernel. What are you talking about
>>
>>54886470
Ignore shitposters.
GNU is a set of tools, it has nothing to do with the kernel itself.
>>
>>54886407
Why not both? Why restrict yourself to one system?
>>
>>54886488
GNU tools make the kernel.
>>
>>54886497
Girls don't like the "Linux smell" so I try to steer clear of that
>>
>>54886046
Why do you keep making threads with this whores picture op
>>
>>54886067
And this is where the thread should have ended.
>>
>>54886488
>it has nothing to do with the kernel itself
remind me again which compiler did linus use? :^)
>>
>>54886052 (You)
fpbp
>>
>>54886407
>Your potential future workplace will require you to use Windows
Not the guy you are responding to, but I'm posting from work from my Ubuntu installation right now.
>>
>>54886587
>Ubuntu
McDonalds? Some other place that just doesn't care?
>>
>>54886570
>family planning benefit program
Am I missing on some new dank memarooney here?
>>
File: replies.jpg (49 KB, 216x219) Image search: [Google]
replies.jpg
49 KB, 216x219
Linux is a consumer-oriented operating system in the mould of Microsoft Windows. It exists for people who demand instant gratification. If your life resolves unquestioningly shoveling content produced elsewhere down your throat with little consideration given to anything else, then Linux is a perfectly reasonable choice.

There was a time where Linux was also accessible to people creating content, but those channels have been gradually obfuscated by increasingly complex "enterprise" endeavors like pulse audio, unity, and systemd which seek to finalize Linux's steady transition away from the Unix philosophy into a Microsoft way of doing things.

If you do more than watch Jewish HBO crap all day and/or have at least one creative bone in your body, you will probably not be using Linux. You'll find yourself on a BSD machine. Something simple and stable with a much lower barrier to entry to those who want their machine to work for them rather than the other way around.

The prevalence of Linux discussion over BSD/Unix discussion here speaks volumes about the motivations of the average neo-/g/ poster.
>>
>>54886630
I make firmware for networking probes and network + video content analysis software for digital video providers (both OTT and IPTV) for a living.

What do you do? Dick around in a spread sheet and pretending to be important?
>>
>>54886630
Not him, but I too use Ubuntu at work too and I write driver software for PCIe-based interconnects that the company I work for make.
>>
File: 28 years old.jpg (218 KB, 900x660) Image search: [Google]
28 years old.jpg
218 KB, 900x660
>>54886046
Why do people use linux?
Why do people like an adult woman with the body of a twelve year old?

Both questions have the same answer! :^)
>>
>>54886330
>You fag what makes you think you are good enough to mix your inferior beta genes with my superior TURKISH genes?
>You cumdumpster, swallow your own semen and then I might let you lick my vig.
>>
>>54886658
What you actually posted

I am too fucking stupid and lazy to comprehend modern APIs. I am a shitty programmer and a complete retard, and all this complex software that you need a brain to comprehend is preventing me from programming. Wtf is a "signal"? Damn you, gtk. My brain hurts. org.what? How the fuck do I use dbus? Whats a dconf!? My tiny mind, it can't hold these hierarchies. Argh! Bring back the 90s, when software was primitive. I don't want to have to learn more things!
>>
>>54886705
It took you six minutes to write that butthurt angry rant? lol
>>
Same reason white guys fuck asians

It's different from the norm, but not different enough to be taboo.
>>
>>54886705
Your hostile response and defense of indefensible coding practices only reinforce my point.

BSD will always be a more welcoming platform for collaborative development. It is well documented and provides its users with time tested solutions to any desire they might have. The corporate cash-backed Linux philosophy is "shut up and let us drive, you idiot."
>>
>>54886505
My mom loves Ubuntu mate because no virus
>>
>>54886737
>being this communist
>>
>>54886716
>4chan is a chatroom

>>54886737
It's a welcoming platform for idiot luddites and baby ducks. The corporate cash-backed linux philosophy is "you need to be ^this^ smart to develop". If you can't keep up, that's fine, stay fucking irrelevant.

You are the computing equivalent of a mechanic that only knows carbs. You sustain your pathetic life with a fattening diet of fallacies like "dont fix what aint broken" used in place of actual knowledge of what you think you hate. To call you merely ignorant would be an understatement.
>>
>>54886046
if you have a soul please stop spamming /g/ with this roachette
>>
>software dev that prefers old, simple systems
>uriel
>kills self
>never makes anything useful
>you have to read the manuals for several different programs to replace "cat" with "dog" in every other sentence

>modern dev
>steve jobs
>makes amazing programs you can actually work with
>well loved by everyone
>>
>>54886737
autism - the post
>>
>>54886805
butthurt damage control - the post
>>
>>54886662
>What do you do? Dick around in a spread sheet and pretending to be important?
REKT
>>
>>54886779
>"you need to be ^this^ smart to develop"
Familiarity with <blub> shouldn't be confused with intelligence, and re-inventing the wheel to be heavier and contain more moving parts every half decade shouldn't be confused with progress.
>>
>>54886737
>indefensible coding practices

just one phrase in a series of phrases that indicate a person who will always be unemployed and never make anything useful, among the ranks of

elegant code
beautiful code
FP is worth a damn
OOP sucks
LOC matters
C is good
80 columns or die
tabs are better than spaces
>>
>>54886833
This is generally what people who are too lazy and stupid to learn new and complex things say.

The extra moving parts have uses. You're going to have to deal with it and sit around on your useless "TRADITIONAL UNIX SERVER!" while everyone else has shit to do other than hosting their own simple mailbox.

Sorry linux was hostile and alien to a useless hobbyist such as yourself. Better luck on BSD, or maybe plan 9. You may now return to hating "corporate" everything because you have no job and lack the innate skill to get one.
>>
Linux users-the cucks of computing.

White knighting for linux.
Jumping thru 1000 hoops in hopes to get 'the prize'
build up artificial knowledgebase on how to win.
Consistently cucked by the industry.

Your 'female friend' uses windows, and it does it for her just fine, linux cuck.
>>
>>54886843
That "this person will never be employed" is your goto argument demonstrates just how firmly neoliberal ideology has grasped your brain.

I'm a public school teacher, not a developer. And I'm proud of that. BSD is made for people like me, who want an accessible platform to further our craft--whatever it might actually be. Much better than being a lab rat for whatever jackoff corporate initiative is being jerry rigged onto Linux this year.
>>
>>54886907
FUCK OFF WELFARE QUEEN
>>
File: 1464022262107.png (234 KB, 475x328) Image search: [Google]
1464022262107.png
234 KB, 475x328
>>54886907
>>
>>54886896
>artificial knowledge
>>
>>54886793
>not selling your soul to be perfect like anzu
>>
>>54886966
Familiarity with the vagaries of obfuscation layers that were never needed in the first place might qualify as "artificial knowledge."
>>
>>54886956
Gondolas don't talk
>>
>>54886907
>I'm a public school teacher
if you were any good you'd be at a private school
>>
>>54886989
I read about this in Ted Kaczynski's manifesto.
>>
>>54886407
>Your potential future workplace will require you to use Windows
Not all of us are minimum wage spreadsheet and paper pushing retards anon.
Sorry you have such a shitty job.
>>
>>54886998
Clearly I must be a lazy welfare queen using organized labor as a shield for my mediocrity. All lazy welfare queens independently develop educational programs for their students on their own time.
>>
>>54887015
"not all of us"...its 5AM EDT you faggots. None of you have jobs.
>>
>>54886046
Because it shits on Windows.
>>
>>54887037
That about sums it up, welfare queen.

'Teachers' are shit.
>>
>>54887052
You'll have a different opinion of libertarianism once you finally graduate from university, move out, and stop living off your parents' dime.
>>
>>54887064
Keep your shitty identity politics to yourself, welfare queen.
>>
>>54887038
I'm sorry. The more I read about Americans on 4chin the more sorry I feel for them. I mean: Chlorine chickens, software patents, every piece of code you write is automatically owned by your employer. How can you live like that?
>>
>>54887077
>every piece of code you write is automatically owned by your employer
It's like this everywhere in the world, dipshit.
>>
>>54887072
Struck a little close to the nerve, huh?

Remember: you're just a temporarily embarrassed millionaire :-)
>>
Polish up those resumes, linux cucks
>>
>>54887086
No. In most countries such contracts would be illegal because it's impossible to give up your copyright on things you create.
>>
>>54886913
fucking LOL
>>
>>54887038
>EDT
And i should give a fuck what time it is at your shitty dump, why?
>>
>>54886046
>You will never me twisted into a human pretzel by Tatsumaki

Why even live?
>>
>>54886658
Found the OSX shill. I get it mang, I'll convert too once the new rMBP drops
>>
>>54887194
OS X has its own harmful quirks.
>>
>>54887182
You ought to, considering that the western hemisphere is the only one that matters in tech. To deny that would show just how fucking tech illiterate you are. If you're working in 'tech' somewhere else, then you don't matter. At all.
>>
>>54887253
This is a board for hobbyists, hackers, and general nuts. The "tech" crowd is on Reddit or Y Combinator. You should join them.
>>
>>54886046
I use it because I can make in look qt, remove bloatware (I couldn't make win10 so small and lightweight even after manually removing all the unecessary shit I could with powershell) and xubuntu is faster and more comfortable to write python programs than windows.
>>
>>54887253
What are you doing on a Japanese board then?
>>
File: 1306789308910.jpg (117 KB, 352x259) Image search: [Google]
1306789308910.jpg
117 KB, 352x259
>>54887253
>You ought to, considering that the western hemisphere is the only one that matters in tech.
>petrol and gas stations and refineries don't count
>the energy and resource exploitation industry don't count
>the location is more important than the wage
I've seen my share of retardation on /g/, a diverse and varied share.
But you are something special, and deserve a special certificate. Your parents must be proud of you every single day, and never forget to emphasize it every 24 hours. Kek.
>>
>>54887306
Can't wait for a Pajeet to take his job desu.
>>
>>54887312
No language but Java matters. You're delusional if you think otherwise.
>>
>>54887312
Pajeets aren't allowed in the petrol industry.
The industry is well aware of how they treat their own infrastructure and technology in India, given how every highway and facility looks like a post-war junkyard,
so they avoid them like the plague.

Programming and communication are the only fields in STEM that have the Pajeet problem, as well as the Feminism retardation. It's unique to the field, ergo it is specifically apparent on the gayming board and on this board where computers and coding are the main focus.
Switch to a discussion in any other field and you won't find that shit.
>>
>>54887342
>given how every highway and facility looks like a post-war junkyard,
as far as i've noticed the roads in boston are maintained as poorly or worse than in india.
in other words, not that badly; you'll probably find fewer potholes on Indian streets mostly owing to the fact that the roads are newer.
>>
>>54887366
Boston is considered third world.
>>
>>54887366
I've gone through Nevada, Washington, and part of the East Coast.
You guys have good roads and good infrastructure. I can confidently say that the poor infrastructure shit are isolated cases rather than a norm, and that you should listen to John Oliver less.
In India however, everything being in ruins is a fucking norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPne-q4ynts
>>
>>54887366
And they fill the holes with shit
>>
>>54887375
well, it's the only part of the US I've stayed in for any stretch of time, and I haven't been thru all of India either, but that's mostly my experience.
ehm, not pajeet btw.
>>
>>54887231
Like?
Inb4 HFS+
>>
>>54886671
because they're sexy as fuck?
>>
>>54886046
its free, and it does all the things i need from a personal computer at home. Well this and the autism freedums and botnet and other arguments that are sensless for normie people like you.
>>
>>54887542
HFS isn't harmful? Is that what you're saying?
>>
>>54887767
I'm asking you to support your claim without resorting to the usual >durrrr HFS meme
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.