[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of Atomic Game Engine?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: vivaldi_2016-06-02_15-39-22.png (171 KB, 730x370) Image search: [Google]
vivaldi_2016-06-02_15-39-22.png
171 KB, 730x370
Was just looking for some new open-source game engines until I stumbled upon Atomic. I just want to know if anyone here has experience or opinions about it?
>>
>>54877835
if you don't write your own engine from scratch then your not a real programmer.
>>
>>54877912
t. nocode
>>
>>54878043
kys
>>
>>54877835
Is it a godot fork?
>>
>>54877835
It looks cool, thanks for sharing.

Is there any time frame on C# and the Linux build releases? I hate having to use my Windows HDD if I can avoid it so I likely won't even end up using this. Javascript I can stand.

Seems a lot like Unity but with full source. Might be useful to learn about engine architecture etc.
>>
>>54877912
I'd wager to say that the vast majority of games are based on an already existing gaming engine that someone else made.
>>
>>54878159
>says stupid shit
>gets called out as nocode
>can only reply with "kys"
you really showed me. I'll have to tell my crew not to mess with you, or they'll be sorry.
>>
>>54878221
>tfw i'm not the same guy you replied too
>tfw you can't code for shit
>kys
>>
>>54878197
There is something to writing your own engine, especially if you really need to. It is important to understand the design behind them.

At the same time reinventing the wheel and using it to assemble a car from scratch when you only needed a ride to your dealers house is retarded and masochistic.

I'd rather achieve my end goal early so I can get fucking high and really kill myself this time - no more fucking it up. IT'S GO TIME
>>
>>54877912
if you don't mine for the minerals/components etc that comprise your computer, and press your motherboard from scratch by hand, you may as well just off yourself.
>>
>>54878282

it's not really reinventing the wheel is it? If it was it would mean that current engines are perfect (like a wheel would be). But they are far from it. They are good for what they are made for, until you have to push their limits and do something different.
>>
>>54878241
>expects me to know who you are
>on an anonymous imageboard
>hasn't seen anything I've made
>automatically assumes I'm the one who doesn't know how to program
>anon continues to express severe butthurt

I'd be surprised if you aren't the same retard who thinks there's such thing as a real and fake programmer based on whether you decide to make your own video game engine or use third party ones.
>>
>>54878311
Sure, but a developer who hasn't worked with game engines before shouldn't be starting from scratch, they don't even know where the limits to current game engines are.
>>
>>54878343

i don't know about "shouldn't" , since i don't have the engine experience to judge that. the handmade hero project though has persuaded me that it's not impossible not as scary as i initially thought to go into the "from scratch" territories if you are a decent programmer.
>>
>>54878221
I learned about the engine a few hours ago. I have no idea, when they are going to release a linux version, but seeing the engine has mac OS support, it is highly probable. Also I do not know, if they plan to add C# support. Feel free to contact the developers and share your thoughts.
>>
>>54878617
Isn't atom engine build on urho3D.
Urho3D has net bindings.
>>
>>54878282
>get ready for suicide
>notice a bug in your program
>saved by OCD and autism
>>
>>54878617
I just installed the editor. It looks like dogshit (the UI, that is) but it seems like a very capable tool from all other angles. The developer is active on gitter and it seems they are very close to a Linux release. As another anon said it seems that the introduction of C# shouldn't take long as they only need to complete binding work from what I could gather from the dev chat. All in all I think this is an editor I will hang on to as it seems very good for prototyping. A good balance between something like Unity and something like LOVE.
>>54879261
>tfw my sweet release will only come when I have perfected my craft which will never happen
>>
File: Firefox_wallpaper.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Firefox_wallpaper.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>54879608
I want you to keep on living.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.