[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ if I have TPM enabled on a device then turn it off, will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (17 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
17 KB, 300x168
/g/ if I have TPM enabled on a device then turn it off, will it decrypt my hard drive? I want to put it in another machine
>>
You either need to move the keys to s new machine, basically use an unlock utility that can with the software to put it on the new machine. Or you need to backup the data to a unencrypted dive, move the drive, reimage with your OS and software, pull down the data.
Likely you're going to go with the second option.
If you're not using a disk lock utility like check point or end point, AMD just have tpm enabled then you're duce isn't encrypted. It doesn't sound like you're very familiar worth this stuff. ...pleb
>>
>>54876077
I'm not. That's why I'm asking. So a full disk image with TPM disabled would be fucking useless?
>>
TPM is NSA botnet.
>>
>>54875941
>TPM enabled
Um, did you mean Windows Bitlocker?

If you did, according to the docs, what you need to do is to use the Bitlocker recovery code when you put it in the new machine. It should then be able to decrypt (using the recovery code), and once you've done that it should, in theory, be able to copy a key into the new TPM.

You may wish to suspend Bitlocker first and then turn it on. If the data is valuable and you don't want to lose it, I do suggest doing that. At the very least, take a (secure) backup first. TPM-held key management is not an easy thing to move to another hardware configuration - deliberately!

If you meant something else, like Linux dm-crypt-related stuff, that depends on how exactly you're doing your key management (trousers?).
>>
>>54877184
No, I meant TPM. It's a BIOS setting on Surface Pros and Bitlocker is not enabled, but the partition is still encrypted
>>
>>54875941
TPM is not the same as encryption. Disk decryption keys can be stored in the TPM using something like Bitlocker and maybe some other full disk encryption software, but having/enabling a TPM in your system doesn't mean your disk is automatically encrypted.
If you're on Windows, it also uses it to prevent unauthorised changes to the bootloader to help guard against rootkits and such.

Disclaimer: never used bitlocker
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.