[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GTX 1080 Founder's Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: gtx1080.jpg (107 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gtx1080.jpg
107 KB, 800x600
What's the deal with Founder's Edition?

What is the difference (if any) between say an EVGA Founder's Edition and a Gigabyte Founder's Edition?
>>
There's no difference, just the same differences between board partners, different capacitors etc
>>
>>54875931
>different capacitors
So which one is best?

>etc
Like what?
>>
All the good goy editions are the same
>>
File: foundersedition.png (78 KB, 947x304) Image search: [Google]
foundersedition.png
78 KB, 947x304
>>
I like how they all use the same reference model and call it non-referance
>>
>>54876024
Well it's nVidia's idea to call it Founder's Edition rather than reference design, which it is…
>>
>>54876039
Nvidia wants their cards to look much better value then they really are.

There is still no card with a cost close to their fantasy MSRP in sight.
>>
>>54875904
it throttles faster than the aib ones
>>
>>54876177
>Nvidia wants their cards to look much better value then they really are.
If that were true then why did they admit they slapped on an additional $100 to the price of Founder's Edition "just because"?
>>
>>54876341
because its better to get out with the truth before your fans realise it that the vapor chamber you install on the FE is a pile of crap and you can just overclock it for 10 mins and then it throttles down on the base clock..
>>
>>54876518
Isn't it pretty well-known that the Founder's Edition (reference) design focuses more on silence than overclocking capabilities?
>>
>>54876587
not really if you remember correctly jhh said its an overclockers dream(kinda reminds of roy calling fury x an oc dream..)
>>
>>54876617
Oh really. I had no idea. Perhaps because I didn't really care about it until just now.
>>
I always wanted my GPU to be radar invisible. Thanks nvidia!
>>
there's no difference

don't buy founder's edition
>>
>>54876341
it's not an "extra" $100, it's a way of masking the fact that all prices will be near $700 but to advertise with a fake $600 price that nobody will see anytime soon if ever on the shelves.
>>
>>54875904
It's a blower style card. Performs shit and makes the sound of a military jet.

Avoid it like plague unless you intend to stick it up ur ass
>>
>>54876177
>Fantasy MSRP
>EVGA's FTW edition is $680
>EVGA's SC edition is $650
>EVGA's ACX 3.0 edition is $620
>EVGA's Baseline edition is $610
Yeah man, nowhere close to $600 there, they're all $700 or more.
>>
File: 1464625909664.jpg (56 KB, 780x552) Image search: [Google]
1464625909664.jpg
56 KB, 780x552
>>54875904
POO IN A LOO
>>
File: Price FUD retards BTFO.png (251 KB, 1266x1080) Image search: [Google]
Price FUD retards BTFO.png
251 KB, 1266x1080
>>54877539
It doesn't mask shit. MSRP means that when Nvidia sells their chips to manufacturers they do so at a price that assumes they will be selling the cards (in their most basic configuration) at said price (in this case, $600). The price of the founders' edition as set by Nvidia has literally no bearing on what board partners' cards will cost, and if anything would drive the cost down because nobody is going to want people to go for Nvidia's design over their own. This is why so far everyone's custom designs (aside from the very highest-tier cards with lots of extras) have been announced at prices lower than $700.

EVGA has cards priced as low as $609.99, you can expect to see similar from other board partners.
>>
>>54879027
That flow chart sucks. What if you're a gay gamer, or a "gaymer," if you will.
>>
>>54879236
> claims $600 MSRP for non-FE is totally legit and meaningful
> as proof, shows list of prices at $610, $620, $650, and $680
> further suggests that other HYBRID/CLASSIFIED editions will also be $700

you are a special kind of retarded, anon.
>>
>>54879391
The $610 model has a backplate. You will almost certainly have basic cheap blower cards from manufacturers with no backplate for $599.99 just like the MSRP said.

I'm sorry you don't understand how retail pricing works. The prices don't go "Near $700" until you get to the redesigned custom boards with additional power phases, dual BIOS chips, custom coolers and full-metal backplates with meme RGB lighting.
>>
>>54878943
>>54879474
> not a single listed card under Nvidia 3rd party MSRP yet
> not a single listed card even *at* the MSRP
> any card closer in price to $600 than $700 guaranteed to have chips that came out of the shitty bin
> 6 more VRMs and an extra MB of flash being worth $30 or more

yeah, I'm feeling confident already.
>>
>>54879705
Why the fuck are you expecting cards to be UNDER the MSRP? You really think Nvidia's AIBs are gonna take a loss on their cards by selling them for under market value?

You really are a special kind of stupid. Point is you can get much more than the Founder's edition card gives you for much less.
>>
>>54879736
Do you actually think MSRP is really market value?

Do you have any basis to know what AIBs' margins are and at what point they take a loss?

Shill harder, my tiny Taiwanese friend.
>>
>>54875904
The idea of the founder's edition is that there should be little to no differences and that all the cards should be built to spec, in contrast to earlier reference designs that could still come with minor alterations and that none of the card makers were really required to produce them, which led to shortages late in the product cycle.
I kind of understand why they want a true reference, Maxwell already performed well enough that you didn't really need a custom cooler unless you were overclocking, but Pascal puts out more power than the cooler can manage, so the benefit of sticking with a reference design for low-airflow cases is diminished.
>>
>>54875904
they are the same, different companies offer different length warranties. apparently all founders edition have the same cooler and pcb
>>
File: À beast with throttling fan.png (2 MB, 1844x1141) Image search: [Google]
À beast with throttling fan.png
2 MB, 1844x1141
>>54876587
No its not.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.