[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Goodbye, Microsoft?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 8
File: win17.gif (99 KB, 489x317) Image search: [Google]
win17.gif
99 KB, 489x317
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-02/microsoft-board-mulls-sales-force-revamp-to-speed-shift-to-cloud

>Board members at Microsoft Corp. are grappling with a growing concern: that the company’s traditional software business, which makes up the majority of its sales, could evaporate in a matter of years -- and Chairman John Thompson is pushing for a more aggressive shift into newer cloud-based products.
>>
Developers, developers, developers, developers.
>>
Clouds, clouds, clouds, clouds.
>>
>>54873533
durrr fucking iodiots bring back xp make it $1 a month
>>
>>54873533
>could evaporate in a matter of years
Who the fuck hires these dumb cunts? Huge corporations will NEVER go with a fucking cloud based OS.
>>
>>54873533
Microsoft Winux when?
>>
>>54874763
Two words

Adobe
>>
>>54873533
Windows 10 is already as "cloudy" as it can be. All user data is already stored on MS servers. Next step would be only monthly/annual subscription like with Office 365 and Adobe shit.
>>
>>54873533
Windows 365
You get barebones and you can buy functionalty via extra packages. Kind of similar to windows editions of old.
>>
>>54875172
Time to revert to only Windows 7 and prior and Word 2007 and prior.
>>
>No one is buying our products anymore!
>We need to produce more products that no one wants faster!, THAT WILL SURELY SAVE US!
>>
>>54874771
How would that solve anything from a business standpoint?
>>
>>54873813
*Dewelopers
>>
>>54875705
No one even wants them for free. Just check the ridiculously small 10's market share, they are only slightly ahead of unix-like (including OS X and Linux together) or Windows XP. And it was pushed as a free upgrade for almost a year.
D E A D
E
A
D
>>
>>54875898
Lel was asking for it.
>>
>cloud based products

disgusting
>>
>>54875898
Windows 7 has more seeds. Thats funny. Windows 8 even less than 10.
>>
>>54875898
>No one even wants them for free. Just check the ridiculously small 10's market share

Windows 10 has 17.5% desktop amrketshare after being out less than 1 year. That's 10 times what Linux has managed in 25 years.

OS X has 9% which isn't bad at all, but please don't inlude OS X and Linux numbers combined, they are not the same and it's just a pathetic cheap way to try make Linux desktop look a lot more successful than it is OS X is UNIX certified whilst linux and GNU userland remain buggy hacked together clones.
>>
>>54873813
It doesn't help that their APIs are overengineered nightmares.
>fucking ASP.NET

Also you can't make a simple Toast Notification that persists in the action center without using poorly-documented and overly-complex COM bullshit. They need to look at notify-send on Linux and make a simple command-line tool with flags for an app name, icon, title, message, and on-click console commands.
>service gets message, makes a notification, on-click opens the client app which should have a flag for starting in specific views relevant to the notification

Microsoft isn't even trying.
>>
>>54876142
It's weird you singled out ASP.NET, because that's the most modular framework in fucking existence, you can literally make it more micro than flask or as heavy as Rails.
>>
>>54876068
>W10 has 17.5% marketshare

Because people were basically forced to upgrade
>>
>>54876201
Yeah and they should have forced these upgrades years ago. If people don't like it nothing stops them buying Apple or going GNU/Linux - there isn't a gun to their heads.
>>
>>54876181
Defining a simple route is convoluted. Straight from the documentation:

routeBuilder.Routes.Add(new TemplateRoute(
new HelloRouter(),
"hello/{name:alpha}",
app.ApplicationServices.GetService<IInlineConstraintResolver>()));

Why should we have to give the route a Service<IInlineConstraintResolver>()?
And the handler is couched inside a class when a simple function would do.

public class HelloRouter : IRouter
{
public async Task RouteAsync(RouteContext context)
{
var name = context.RouteData.Values["name"] as string;
if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(name))
{
return;
}
await context.HttpContext.Response.WriteAsync($"Hi {name}!");
context.IsHandled = true;
}

public VirtualPathData GetVirtualPath(VirtualPathContext context)
{
return null;
}
}

You can do all of this in a different language/framework with half the code.
>>
>>54876068
And how do you think, how many of those 17.5 or even 20% (lets give it few percents for a 'margin of error') were actually purchased and are not free upgrades? Microsoft is not getting money from free upgrade and thus they have nothing to declare for quarterly reports from those upgrades - store advertising is an another story, as they are still maintaining their pay to use model for an operating system, unlike Apple.
>>
>>54876240
Why force people? That is fucktarded. Most people don't even have the hardware to run it well and those who do won't want it because its fucking spyware. It tries to copy Mac but is fucking shit at it.
>>
>>54876045
Windows 8 has less market share than XP. That's the part that fucking cracks me up.
>>
>>54876201
This.

>>54876240
Literally take a gun and kill yourself.
>>
>>54876068
OS X has GNU stuff badly hacked with *BSD
>>
Hopefully they will ditch their xbox crap and leave the console market for good. What a fucking cancer on an already cancerous industry.

That being said I'd buy a Microsoft OS if it came as barebones as possible. No app garbage, no telemetry, no forced tablet/cloud/etc components. Just a fucking OS that doesn't get in the way. They could price it at $49, seems like a fair price.

They simply don't want my money though.
>>
>>54876305

Very few consumers ever bothered to upgrade from one Windows version to another; they'd use whatever come with their machine until the machine died, at which point they'd buy a new machine with the latest version of Windows.

It's arguable that Apple's OS is on a pay-to-use model, because you have to pay for a Mac in order to use it - I.e., it's included with the hardware cost, in the same way Windows is for consumer machines.

>>54876331
Most people aren't aware of "spying" and don't give a shit if it is. It's a neckbeard issue.

Windows' hardware requirements haven't shifted since 7, which is what the upgrade offer is for. If a machine handled 7 fine, it should perform equally fine on 10 (edge cases aside).
>>
>>54876451

I don't even own an Xbox but I'm glad of their presence seeing as Nintendo are irrelevant. The last time Sony was dominant the FIVE HUNDRED NINTY NINE DOLLARS PS3 happened because of their hubris.
>>
Most people don't like windows 10 because they were bullied into installing it
>>
>>54876451
You can get this OS yourself by just tweaking Windows 7 out of its unnecessary telemetry updates.
>>
>>54876451
>No app garbage, no telemetry, no forced tablet/cloud/etc components
You can do that on any Enterprise edition with gpedit.msc, taskschd.msc and services.msc. You can even go balls-deep and replace Explorer Shell with blackbox or whatever is good for you, you can also replace File Explorer with any alternative file manager i.e. Explorer++.
>>
>>54874763
Yeah people will never want a computer in their homes either.
>>
>>54876240
POO
O
O
>>
>>54876717

Judging by the sloping sales of PCs

People don't

A smartphone is all you need
>>
>>54873533
Good. Fuck Micro$oft.
>>
>>54876488

599 is never going to happen again even due to a monopoly.

Tech has become cheap as fuck due to AMD crashing and burning
>>
>>54877382
I fucking hate typing on touch screens and having to read websites on small-ass screens. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with normies preferring smartphones to desktops with 2+ monitors, a keyboard, and mouse. I don't even like touchpads on laptops.
>>
>>54877382
a smartphone is not a computer now?

huh.
>>
>>54875007

Corporations don't really use Adobe. Nor do they use windows 365 or windows 10 for that matter. Everyone in creative industry is just as slow to update.
>>
>>54877478
It never was, faggot. A smartphone is cancer made of plastic and metal.
>>
>>54877496
Tons of offices use both. Mine does.
>>
>>54877439

Touchscreens aren't bad. M+K can give you carpet tunnel and desktops aren't portable. I had a desktop it was a loud nightmare to maintain.

If you need to actually do some word formatting you can use a 10yo shitty laptop.
>>
File: 1448079363057.jpg (122 KB, 510x752) Image search: [Google]
1448079363057.jpg
122 KB, 510x752
>>54873533
If they end the traditional local software like ms office XXXX, or Windows X, where you or the company you work for owns and maintains it people will just switch to apple or android products. It would be easier to port everything to mysql and create custom android apps then switch to Azure or pay for Office 365 forever.

Hell most companies just use custom C# webapps and webapps in general so why bother purchase MS products at this rate?

Shit seems kind of fucked up.
>>
>>54877496
>Corporations don't really use Adobe. Nor do they use windows 365
0/10
>>
>>54876037
Wonder when people will trust them to store their brains in the cloud.
Fucking morons, everywhere.
>>
>>54877970
most people probably don't even know what the cloud is.
>>
>>54876298
>>54876142
But muh security. From users themselves.
>>
>>54877995
All the more reason they'll get roped in by misdirection and advertising.
"But you'll be able to retrieve your memories ANYWHERE!"
>>
>>54876452
Apparently people are aware because more people haven't upgraded than have.

Also no, performance is lower. Someone I know installed it on her crappy laptop and now it barely runs when it was running fine pre-update.

There is a ton more shit for your harddrive to process even if the base requirements are the same.

A lot of people are still running XP-era hardware anyway.
>>
File: a1_x1000_case.jpg (88 KB, 800x684) Image search: [Google]
a1_x1000_case.jpg
88 KB, 800x684
>>54878722
>Alternative 3
>Glorious revival of Amiga,
>>
>>54878781
Dayum, that mobo is sexy. Not as sexy, as traditional emerald-green, but still.
>>
>>54875172
It's one of the main reasons why I haven't upgraded from windows 7 yet. I might switch to a linux distro if windows pushes me too.
>>
File: steve-ballmer-goes-nuts-o.gif (776 KB, 320x238) Image search: [Google]
steve-ballmer-goes-nuts-o.gif
776 KB, 320x238
>>54873813
>>
>>54873533
More like goodbye Linux desktop and FOSS unless users start complaining and pushing back against cloud bullshit or are content on using old or expensive hardware. Do you honestly think companies will let people run whatever OS they want on their cloud infrastructure?
>>
desktop alts:
AROS
Haiku
Morphos
RiscOS

and more.

You can still have a decent desktop system (sans games in some cases).
>>
>>54873533
There was also a moron on the board that was pushing for Microsoft to spin off their Xbox division several years ago.

Now it's their most profitable hardware division and because of the commodity hardware in the PS4 and Xbox One - both consoles this gen have been sold for a profit since day. Meaning MS hasn't poured billions into the hardware while waiting for the software sales to make up the rest.

The point I'm getting at is - board members are fucking retarded.
>>
>>54877382
The sloping sales of PCs is due more to their durability and longevity than it is to people's disfavor of them. It's harder to drop your desktop computer into a toilet.
>>
>>54873533
Microsoft should basically just rerelease Windows 7 and dominate the market again
>>
>>54881185
That's why you do everything in your power to make sure you never have a board of directors if you found an organization of any kind.
>>
>>54881146
>being this clearly delusional
Using any linux environment for a desktop application is as poor of a decision as being religious

Please, for the love of humanity, make some attempt at a decent lifestyle

Love it or hate it, Windows is the best option for desktop use
>>
>>54877515
Sorry but you anecdotal evidence proves nothing.
>>
>>54881409
I'll excuse this stupidity because I know you're a NEET who lives with his parents.
>>
File: 2db.jpg (7 KB, 200x209) Image search: [Google]
2db.jpg
7 KB, 200x209
Windows In The Cloud:
Now you need to call that guy to restart your VPS - Edition
>>
>>54877506
Than... w-what are computers made of? Children's souls?
Cause that's definitely not plastic and metal inside my tower...
>>
>>54876713
Please tell me how I can do this anon
>>
>>54881385
None of those mentioned run on Linux. They have their own kernels and their own desktop environments.
>>
>>54873533
>>the company’s traditional software business, which makes up the majority of its sales, could evaporate in a matter of years
Why?
What major OEM is on the verge of no longer shipping Windows with their systems?
When did the majority of businesses start asking for resumes and other documents in ODF?
What platform started outdoing Windows Server for infrastructural services like Active Directory and Remote Desktop?
Where did Windows' 90% desktop market share go?

Computer advancement has halted, and both desktops and laptops have become 5-10 year "investments" rather than the 2-3 years Microshit is used to, they'll just have to get used to it.
>>
>>54873533
>Chairman John Thompson is pushing for a more aggressive shift into newer cloud-based products.

I can picture Microsoft's future.

1. A lot of restructuring while their cloud computing industry is failing.
2. A lot of mergers with hardware companies.
3. Microsoft renaming itself Azure.
4. Then afterwards contributing to more open source hardware stuff to the market

Microsoft's future is not really cloud services. Amazon and other companies are leading while Microsoft is becoming worse at this field.

If it manages to survive in 5 years, then Microsoft would become a gaming company instead.
>>
>>54873533
Remember that bad news for Microsoft I mentioned earlier?
This may well be it.
>>
>>54882833

Microsoft is trying to close the gate that the horses got out and got eaten by a mountain lion years ago. Google and Apple have those delicious app stores and microsoft realizes that unless it figures out how to slam the door shut on PC developers it can't do the same closed door policy.
>>
>>54882833
>What major OEM is on the verge of no longer shipping Windows with their systems?
The ones who are struggling to shift as many PCs as they shifted last year. It's not happening. The market is below flat-lining.
>>
And Intel and AMD are not doing that well. But I think Intel is suffering the most at this point. Hence the latest Windows laptops manufactured by OEMs are very crappy over the past 2-3 years.
>>
>>54882940
>Remember that bad news for Microsoft I mentioned earlier?
No.
>>
>>54882858
Already they are trying to force hardware upgrades by making it difficult to opt out of OS upgrades.
They have removed the X from the nag-window so the only options you have are "Install it Now" or "Install it on a set date".
The SPs should break backwards compatibility and you'll all be in for new PCs, and who doesn't like a new PC?
>>
>>54883011
Not many people would want to buy the latest computers unless you are a gamer. I see that gaming is a part of the problem in Windows.
>>
>>54873533
Microsoft is in no danger.

Bill Gates would come back with a vengeance if Microsoft was truly in danger.
>>
>>54882954
It's pathetic how hard MS tries to follow Apple and Google into the phone sector, yet they miss the point every time.

>>54882960
>we're having difficulty selling PCs, guys! consumers just aren't interested in upgrading anymore...
>I know! let's stop bundling them with the thing that actually makes them sell in the first place!
>>
Is it okay to say Microsoft is a virus-prone OS due to its internal design? When everything is not a file, there is always a bigger problem within its security.

This is why Unix-based operating system is my choice.
>>
Microsoft should do what they do the best: making programming languages.
>>
>>54883511
Now, if only they had a good language to market.
>>
>>54883527
I think C Sharp is the most successful one. It addressed problems with Java along with preserved the core aspects of Java.
>>
>>54883568
>I think C Sharp is the most successful one.
Because of its marketing, not its merit.
>>
File: 1464030070978.png (35 KB, 530x366) Image search: [Google]
1464030070978.png
35 KB, 530x366
A lot of businesses want to move away from the cloud since they are starting to understand what it means for their data ownership and management. If they do want anything "cloud," they are going to want it on their terms and their hardware. Grifting their databases and cross selling it to datamongers just isn't going to fly here. Microsoft really needs to start listening to their business users more.

It doesn't help that MS has been shitting all over its legacy devs. Second class support for C++ and winapis, COM breakages out the ass, terrible documentation on framework extensions. It doesn't help that they completely lost their shit flailing around with C# GUI frameworks for years on end.
>>
>>54881409

>your statement about my office using it is anecdotal
>but my statement that they don't isn't!

Stay classy.
>>
>>54875172
Nah just switch to something already polished like Ubuntu and instead of being passive consumer - help, either give suggestions - explain them what you would want better or participate directly - make it better for everyone.
>>
File: redditha.png (61 KB, 346x361) Image search: [Google]
redditha.png
61 KB, 346x361
>>54883611
>marketing
That's a funny way to spell IDE
>>
My chinese friend says W10 is in trouble might face a ban in China due the upgrade tricks and spyware.
>>
>>54883873
True story. I heard this from my non-Japanese friend living in Osaka, saying that most of the Japanese businesses are not willing to upgrade their computers to W10. Saying that the computers will heat up significantly.
>>
Guess Microsoft is caring less and less about the OS.

Guess also for consumer grade - only Mac is caring enough to polish a good OS right now.

And for everyone else Linux is enough.
>>
>>54877496
Whoo lad, I can tell your small business experience showing.

Two of my consulting clients are on both O365, and team versions of Adobe. One client has ~550 users, the other is an international Architecture firm with roughly ~300 users.
>>
File: No...You_Move.jpg (11 KB, 429x342) Image search: [Google]
No...You_Move.jpg
11 KB, 429x342
>>54876068
>Windows 10 has 17.5% desktop amrketshare after being out less than 1 year. That's 10 times what Linux has managed in 25 years.

As if that's even fucking comparable.
>>
I wish Microsoft would contribute towards the KDE Software Compilation. Its developers have great experience in the GUI and basic software fields.
>>
As a former programmer who used the .NET Framework religiously at least I can say something about this. Ballmer's subordinates neglected Windows and focused too much on the .NET Framework. This really tells something as Bill Gates was the only person who cared about operating systems.
>>
>>54876452
>If a machine handled 7 fine, it should perform equally fine on 10
except for drivers...
>>
>>54876305
>more control over updates
>more pushed spyware
and there you have it.... Microsoft is copying Google and facebook to stay relevant.
>>
>>54881146
>Meme OSs
>on a desktop
lol no, you fool at least use Linux
>>
>>54884893
BeOS has some potentials. Used it and really liked it. And if there is an open source NextStep, I'll be happy like a girl.
>>
>>54884921
I think GNU has Etoile, which is based on next step.
>>
BeOS cannot be a meme OS because it was originally geared towards business office purposes. But I really miss the old Windows 95,
>>
>>54884406
The guy was asking for it when he directly compared their market share m8.
>>
>>54873533
Terry Davis needs to lead Microsoft into glory.
>>
>>54876068
>secretly force upgrade people's computers at night
>"Windows 10 has 17.5% desktop amrketshare after being out less than 1 year"

Fuck off shill.

Also:
>linux and GNU userland remain buggy hacked together clones.

Isn't it time for your street shitting break?
>>
>>54873533
What I don't understand is why are they trying to get into other markets and constantly fail losing their customers' trust?

Their OS is somehow leader in gaming and generic desktop usage, why don't they pamper the home user and gamers?
>>
>>54885426
> why don't they pamper the home user and gamers?

Because XBox and smartphones.
>>
>>54885456
What does that mean? How does it prevent them from catering to the said crowd?
>>
>>54873533
>That video
>Bloomberg Intellegence
>Mandeep Singh

Pajeet...
>>
>>54885426
What? Their cloud services are doing great. Oh right, this is /g/, your average anon only knows about consumer products
>>
>>54885742
What? Isn't Windows phone "losing ground"? Isn't Windows 10 made to be more suitable for tablets?

Also I don't see how only knowing about consumer products is related. My original point was that they are really successful in a domain where they don't focus, I was questioning that. I think you are not very good at following arguments and don't want to talk about consumer products at all. Which makes me question why did you even bother to answer me?
>>
bye microsoft
>>
I hope they fucking crumble.
>>
>>54878781
>Amiga ATX board
I am ROCK SOLID now.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.