[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apple innovates, everyone else imitates
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11
File: HTB1MA2eJFXXXXXcXpXXq6xXFXXXy.jpg (109 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
HTB1MA2eJFXXXXXcXpXXq6xXFXXXy.jpg
109 KB, 640x640
New laptops/2-in-1 with only 1 USB3.1 Type C port at Computex 2016:
Asus Zenbook 3
Acer Switch Alpha 12
Galaxy TabPro S

What do /g/ feel about a new world order without ports?
>>
>innovative
>>
>>54872521
Imitation is the best form of flattery. It seems that every big company thinks it's an innovation.
>>
>>54872508
>remove functionality
>innovate
>>
No thanks
>>
File: 1250675188_family_guy_barfing.gif (125 KB, 317x231) Image search: [Google]
1250675188_family_guy_barfing.gif
125 KB, 317x231
>>54872508
>Apple computers
>One USB type c
>Claiming it to be innovative
Mfw
>>
>>54872508
Nice, a list of shit only retards care about.

>hurr i want a tablet with a keyboard
>let me buy a laptop with no ports rather than one of the actual tablets with attachable keyboards
>>
>>54872508
Looks like apple shills are coming oit of hibernation.
>>
>>54872787
>coming out of hibernation?
have you been on /g/ in the past two months? it's been a mac vs windows shill war.
>>
File: uses.png (99 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
uses.png
99 KB, 1000x1000
i shoot with a DSLR and even i don't use CF anymore. they could've made that point with an SD card. at least that's kind of plausible.

as for OP, i could imagine not using any ports, but when I plug my laptop in at home I always plug in at least 1 USB port in addition to charger. so if you make them both 1, then i need a hub. i'm not going to buy an adapter like the OP pic (or Apple's thing) for the home.

I would buy a macbook if it had 2 or more USB ports. most of my work starts on my laptop and when it exceeds the laptop's abilities it's a pretty quick and painless process to move things to my desktop. if i need to go up to the level above that (which is all but impossible for personal projects) i can either go to a compute machine my lab owns *or* i could spin up AWS or something i suppose. but my desktop is the focal point for a lot of my computing. i'm typing on my laptop now but controlling my desktop's monitors like extended displays.
>>
>>54872508
This is what happens when an industry becomes fixated on thiness.

There hasn't been a decent laptop made since the early 2000's.
>>
>>54873310
i can't think of a single dimension that you could use to evaluate laptops that early 2000s laptops had over modern laptops. if you really enjoyed the laptops back then, you could get an equivalent laptop with equivalent battery life and all that, but like 50% the weight and thickness.

maybe if your only factor was finding a 16:10 display? or if the only criterion that mattered to you was optical drive read speed?
>>
>tfw you have to buy more hardware because you have no ports
>>
File: 51ZZs6TLePL._SL1000_.jpg (57 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
51ZZs6TLePL._SL1000_.jpg
57 KB, 1000x1000
>>54873436
the point is that you stop using ports in the first place. we had this same shitstorm when apple unveiled the MBA and 80% of /g/ lost their shit over the proposition of having to buy an external optical drive.

the point wasn't that you would buy an optical drive - the point was that you'd stop using optical discs.

like with the MBA, i think this is too soon for most users, but it doesn't seem that different in my opinion. i need more ports than the macbook offers, but i bet at some point not too far into the future we're just going to use USB ports to charge devices, and at that point why not just use something like pic related (for example)?

if all of my shit could connect to my laptop via bluetooth, i'd happily use a macbook. but right now (for instance) i have to use an adapter to get gigabit ethernet on my laptop both because it's a fuck of a lot faster (i have gigabit internet on campus and the residential wifi isn't that fast) and less latent (using teleport to transmit my mouse and keyboard movements to my desktop adds some latency, and doing it over wifi seems to add a bit to it)
>>
>>54872617
This.
>>
>>54873495
lol you have no ports. 1000 dollars for a useless computer.
>>
>>54873528
did you not understand that i don't have a macbook, or are you replying with some kneejerk reaction to something else i said?
>>
File: Apple ripped off Polaroid.png (222 KB, 467x676) Image search: [Google]
Apple ripped off Polaroid.png
222 KB, 467x676
>>54872508
>Apple innovates, everyone else imitates
Sure, if by innovates you mean can't come up with their own branding, sure!
>>
>>54873611
hadn't apple been using the "i____" naming style for a while by that point with the iMac?

apple has a lot of faults, but don't make up horse shit. it makes it look like your best criticism of apple is stuff that's not even true.
>>
>>54873611
>>
File: Apple ripped of its brand.jpg (67 KB, 385x245) Image search: [Google]
Apple ripped of its brand.jpg
67 KB, 385x245
>>54873656
By Apple do you mean Apple Records or the computer company that ripped off their name?
>>
In this case it doesn't really seem like innovation, it's a matter of being cheap. The logic behind copying apple for these kind of things is "well, they get away with it, so we can do it, too".

The same will happen with 3.5mm audio plugs on cell phones. If Apple doesn't suffer much from it, then other manufacturers will remove it as well because it makes building phones cheaper.

Apple looking for ways to sell less for more is not a novel concept.
>>
>apple does something
>/g/ hates on it
>year later
>google/samsung/pc copies it
>/g/ raves about it

History of mankind
>>
>>54873677
I'm obviously talking about the bank.

Oh are we bitching about generic names getting reused all the time?
>>
>>54873720
Steve didn't invent shit, xerox:
http://zurb.com/article/801/steve-jobs-and-xerox-the-truth-about-inno

Night Shift/ flux:
http://www.thememo.com/2016/01/27/apple-night-shift-f-lux-ripped-off-flux-nightshift-apple-iphone/

Google and Microsoft:
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/06/09/apple-ripped-off-a-bunch-of-features-from-google-and-microsoft/
>>
File: 5126FYP4KGL.jpg (35 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
5126FYP4KGL.jpg
35 KB, 500x489
>>54873692
>Apple looking for ways to sell less for more is not a novel concept.
/g/ shitting on apple as though they don't ever add anything to the table is not a novel concept. portable media players were absolute garbage (see pic) until the iPod forced everyone to stop fucking around and get serious.

as an aside, someone on 4chan actually argued that the nomad was a better PMP at the time despite being way more expensive, coming in with a lower capacity, and being like twice the size by volume; this is how fucking delusional /g/ gets when it comes to its revisionist history of apple

apple has done a lot of bad in tech, but it has the quality of steering competition in certain directions, and on the whole that influence has led to better competitor devices. smartphones were in an even worse state than PMPs were when the iPhone was first announced. same with tablets. i don't think any laptops had displays as dense as the rMBP until that was announced, and some operating systems are *still* not fucking sorted out on how to scale something as simple as 2x pixel density. and that's supposed to be easy mode. scaling at 1.5x or some shit requires interpolation that's usually pretty gnarly.
>>
>>54873760
1) i never claimed apple invented anything; making things usable/viable in the market is its own skill that /g/ seems incapable of comprehending.

2) protip: xerox PARC invented (almost) everything. there's a paper from 1992 where some researchers implemented Google Docs like 15 fucking years before Google got around to (acquiring) it.
>>
>>54873823
>/g/ shitting on apple as though they don't ever add anything to the table is not a novel concept.
>apple has done a lot of bad in tech, but it has the quality of steering competition in certain directions, and on the whole that influence has led to better competitor devices
I agree. The thing with Apple is that they dare to do shit that is outside the standard. Sometimes it works out fine, sometimes it doesn't, but they try. Both Microsoft and Google do this as well, to varying levels and with different products.

Most other tech companies will happily show off stuff they are "working on", but they will rarely make them into actual products unless one of the big three announce something similar.
>>
>>54873923
yep. but this kind of perspective generally gets met with "LOL GO BACK 2 UR FAGBOOK FAGGOT LULZ SOMEONE HIGH 5 ME" on /g/

>Sometimes it works out fine, sometimes it doesn't,
i mean i'd even go as far as to say it *often* doesn't work out. but we tend to forget about the failures because they fizzle out. remember firewire? anyone who owned a DV camera in the early 00's had to deal with that fucking shit for a long ass time.

there was a whole era of computing that ended *not that long ago* where you knew you were using a standard that was already fucked.
>>
>>54872508
>8GB
wow, these things still exist?
>>
>>54874030
CF cards are relatively old tech, so there are tons of 4 and 8GB cards out there. what they lack in capacity they make up in speeds, which (at the time) were pretty impressive.
>>
File: 20160601_201839.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160601_201839.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Look at how apple innovated out this 3.5 mm headphone jack

It's at least 10 mm thick
>>
>>54872508
USB type-c as apple innovation
LMAO
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.