[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can sombody who is more techsavvy than me please explain what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: vulkan api.jpg (78 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
vulkan api.jpg
78 KB, 1200x627
Can sombody who is more techsavvy than me please explain what the difference is between DirectX and Vulkan? So if I understand correctly they compete with each other, right? How are they different? What are the pros and cons?
>>
>>54872306
DirectX is proprietary and hates your freedom.
Vulcan is free as in freedom.
>>
DirectX is established and widely used. Vulcan is newer and cross platform.
>>
>>54872306
google it, there is more than one site explaining it in detail
>>
>>54872306
Vulkan replaces OpenGL as Mantle was like DX12.
>>
>>54872306
see >>54872322
plus Vulkan can run on nearly every system and OS, incl. consoles and phones while DirectX is M$ only, and in the case of DirectX12, Wangblows™ 10 only.
>>
The difference is that no one will use Vulkan and DX is the industry standard.
>>
>>54872306
>yfw tou realize the vulkan cube example is 3000 lines of code
>>
D3D11 => D3D12
OpenGL => Vulkan

That said, D3D12 and Vulkan are much more similar than D3D11 and OpenGL, it's just that Vulkan works on Windows 7, Linux, Android, any platform that wants to implement it. It should be almost effortless to port from one to the other I'd you did your abstractions right, although Vulkan has more features and asks for more detail.
>>
>>54872353
>incl. consoles
No one give a fuck about it. Not Xbox for sure and not on Play Station either.
>>
All previous answers are wrong and shit

Vulkan lets you code directly to the hardware

DX and Opengl put a load of unnecessary shit between you and the hardware, and are both less efficient

Even microsoft realized coding to the GPU is best so they let you do it in dx12, but dx12 is proprietary and gay so don't do that
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.