[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Debating about whether to major in CS or CE. At my school, computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: heroMSCS.jpg (83 KB, 762x300) Image search: [Google]
heroMSCS.jpg
83 KB, 762x300
Debating about whether to major in CS or CE. At my school, computer engineering and CS share a lot of software classes just the CE of course has all the hardware classes which I'm just as interested in.

If I decided to major in CE over CS would it be difficult to get a job in software if I wanted to? I'm just worried that some HR person who can only open their email will look at my resume and go, "Hey this guys not a programmer! Well I'm not going to give him a callback."
>>
>>54870259
>At my school, computer engineering and CS share a lot of software classes just the CE of course has all the hardware classes which I'm just as interested in.
I was in the same situation as you and did CS (because less math). Regretted it as fuck afterwards.

>If I decided to major in CE over CS would it be difficult to get a job in software if I wanted to
No. Plenty of CEs in the jobs I've had.

>I'm just worried that some HR person who can only open their email will look at my resume and go, "Hey this guys not a programmer! Well I'm not going to give him a callback."
In virtually all job postings they are looking for people with "a degree in CS, CE, EE or equivalent".

They don't care.
>>
>>54870259
pick one or the other. there's no difference if you're gud.
>>
>>54870285
why did you regret picking cs?
>>
>>54870297
I regret opting out of maths and not doing hardware classes.

It doesn't matter right now, because I have the job I wanted to have, but it took me a longer time getting it.
>>
>>54870259

It depends on what units/modules the course provides. You should have a look at that and compare them both to see what's interesting or appealing to you.

Though expect the unexpected.
>>
>>54870397
Literally the differnce is the cs has a fuck load more non major requirments, slightly different options for cs related electives and one 300 level class called software deisgn.

The ce has more hardware, math, physics classes and again, slightly differnt options for cs related electives.
>>
I regret taking CE. I didn't enjoy hardware at all and barely passed microprocessors.
>>
I'm surprised there're still CS departments. In my country all those have been converted to C.Eng and became part of the Faculty of Engineering 20 years ago, because the title is meaningless. In the end we all started working in software related jobs, because 1 semester of Electronics and Electrics don't make a hardware engineer.
>>
>>54870285
>cs
>less math
Only if you go to a bad school
>>
>>54871160
>faculty of engineering
I'm surprised there is such a thing. In my country, any kind of engineering is a 3 year degree you get at some remote college (except for civil engineers which is a five year overrated degree), whereas the University teaches maths and science and CS (being a subfield of mathematics) is taught at the faculty of mathematics and science
>>
>>54871195
It's less math unless you do theoretical computer science (which is a degree in applied mathematics at the university I went to)
>>
>>54870259
CS student here, we have three courses each semester and one of these is a mathematics course.
The reason we have so few courses is because the rest of the time we work on our semester project which accounts for half of our grade.
We just have a few basic rules each semester for our project and then we can knock ourselves out, doing whatever the fuck we want.
No regrets here.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.