[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/ I just "learned" lua. By that I mean got through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: tutorials_lua.jpg (8 KB, 240x135) Image search: [Google]
tutorials_lua.jpg
8 KB, 240x135
Hi /g/ I just "learned" lua. By that I mean got through a tutorial. What is the next step? Also what is your language learning algorithm. Are there some specific programs you always create to get better understanding of language?
>>
>>54869731
>What is the next step?
Think of a very small but useful program. Write it in that language.

I suggest a calculator.
>>
>>54869731
Script to learn.
Don't learn to script.

Now gtfo.
>>
>>54870144
Why not?
>>
>>54869731
>Are there some specific programs you always create to get better understanding of language?

No you retard... That's like asking, is there a specific sentance you shpuld translate to get better at a language, or a specific maths ptoblem to solve to get better at math.. You just need to do a fuckton of programs to get better.
>>
File: 107007_15868.png (18 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
107007_15868.png
18 KB, 640x480
>>54869731
Try https://love2d.org/ make some 2d or pseudo-3d game, it will teach you how to design larger computer programs and some math.

Making games are fun and Lua is a good language.
>>
Try to make something simple like a space invaders clone. There will be tons for you to learn along the way. Just break it down into simple problems and solve them as you go. Problem 1, how do you take a simple image file, display it on the screen, and move it around?
>>
>>54872157

I definitely recommend this too.
>>
Download Dota 2. It has integrated Lua scripting.
You can basically create your own games in Lua.
Have fun.
>>
The best way to learn Lua is to try and create a basic first person shooter in Roblox.
And I not even joking, you will go through a little bit of everything in Lua this way.
It's how I learned anyway, worked well enough where I can at least rice my desktop and program virtual CNC machines with Lua now.
>>
find a program/game with lua scripting and have fun
>>
>>54870214
Because you will end up bored and demotivated if you don't have a goal/goals you can reach.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.