[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So it's gonna be my senior year of Computer Science, I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_o79shuXSfS1vql0vao1_500.gif (494 KB, 455x303) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o79shuXSfS1vql0vao1_500.gif
494 KB, 455x303
So it's gonna be my senior year of Computer Science, I have no internship experience and no projects I've worked on. How do I redeem myself so I don't end up jobless.
>>
well that depends...

are you a virgin?
>>
does your institute have a CompSci club? Regardless, I'd try to start networking with other Computer Science majors and anyone else in that lane as soon as possible if I were you. And if possible, do what you mentioned (internship experience and projects) now, before it's too late. Given your time constraint, you're probably gonna have to kiss a lot of ass. But hey, it'll pay off when you get offers and end up with a job, or at least some experience.
>>
>>54866506

Is this a pirates of silicon valley reference?

>>54866589

No, I tried to start one but people weren't willing to fill in the office positions. I'm gonna try it again next year and just give people titles while I do all the work.

I'm not sure what kind of project I can work on that would be good for my resume. I guess I could try my hand at Unity
>>
>>54866678
Get IT certified RIGHT NOW. It's simple as fuck
>>
>>54866678
>I guess I could try my hand at Unity
That is the worst project idea you could possibly come up with. You might as well kill yourself now.
>>
>>54866738

I really don't wanna be IT but if I have to then so be it

>>54866775

What's wrong with it?
>>
>>54866439
too late. you go to college to suck dicks of people that will give you a job in the future.

better start cam whoring to not end up homeless.
>>
>>54866775
>>54866824

kek. I dunno, I think anything html5 would be better, as well as Javascript.
>>
>>54866439
Open source.
>>
>>54866439
Stay on for a fifth year but only take the minimum amount of classes, e.g. 1 per semester. That way you can apply to an internship. Oh and apply to a ton of internships, because it is hard to get them. Also volunteer some time with one of the professors (aka work in their lab). And while you're doing all of this, create a strong portfolio of projects.
>>
>>54866824
Developing a quality 3D game is a massive undertaking. Not only is it difficult but it's extremely time consuming. You will also hit a barrier where you need to find someone to make 3D models and assets because learning how will be an additional massive waste of time. Also, unless you're trying to become a professional game developer or already make money from your game, many hirers won't give a shit because they will assume any kid could do what you did.

Are you trying to become a professional game developer? I will need to write another post to explain how retarded you are.
>>
You haven't been assigned any projects up until your senior year as a comp sci major?

I just described projects I had done for different classes when I was looking for a job.
>>
>>54866439
>he fell for the CompSci meme
>>
>>54866936

But I already know C# and C++

>>54867027

This sounds like a plan. I'm going all out on the internship search. Also the undergrads suck so I can tutor them. Or be an assistant for the professor.

>>54867062

I want to do software development. Althogh I'd like to try game dev on the side so I'd appreciate advice

>>54867147

Wait are we allowed to do this? If so I'm adding some to my resume now
>>
>>54867197
>are we allowed to put dev experience on a resume
WEW fucking LAD
>>
>>54867197
>>54867206
the proyects have to be good though, dont show a tic tac toe as a proyect
>>
>>54867197
>>Wait are we allowed to do this
makes sense why u are a compsci kid
>>
>>54867147
>>54867197
Seriously?

Seriously??

My first impulse: cite the experience you gained from working on however many projects as a fucking computer science major, and what the fuck is your reaction?

"Am I allowed to &c?"

Fuck you, you fucking moron. Whatever the fuck experience you've gotten in school, it clearly wasn't enough to give you common sense.
>>
>>54867206
>>54867280
>>54867258

Yea I feel like a dumbass now

>>54867250

They were simple GUI projects like a calculator, report card + GPA calculator, and salary. Do those count?
>>
>>54867329

What the fuck? Did you go to uni in some hobo's alley?
>>
>>54867250
This. As an example, one of the ones I talked about was an android app we worked on that was basically a chat program that let you talk anonymously with people in threads started by people close to you based on GPS location (this was before yik yak was a thing). You could input a radius of some amount of miles and you'd see all the threads started in that range and you could search for another location in case you wanted to see what was going on in another city. Also, I worked on a fantasy football lineup evaluator that managed a database of players' stats, game stats, where they were played, what teams against, etc. and just described the different AI principles we used in different evaluation strategies.

And they're going to ask you about them, so be able to describe them in depth.
>>
>>54867374

private uni because they gave me a scholarship. I regret it(chosen over st.johns and nyu) but at least I won't be in debt when i get out

>>54867386

Wait you learned AI in your bachelors? What school if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>54867486
It was just one class, not too deep with anything.

Towson University in MD. Not really a big tech school, though. Fairly easy to get into, lots of girls (it mainly churns out teachers), and lots of alcohol.
>>
>>54867532
>a meme degree in a meme school
Oh I'm laffin.
>>
>>54867197
>I'd like to try game dev on the side
Here are some guidelines for people who are serious about making a quality 3D game.

Do not attempt to make a quality 3D game without at least 2 other people who have reasonable programming knowledge. This will make development time be 100 times faster because you split the work and more importantly, working with others will help prevent you from losing motivation and killing yourself. Only the most autistic kind of person can do all game development solo and succeed.

Use free game assets as placeholders until you find someone cheap who can make assets (desperate art majors who need something to put on their resume). Don't learn to make assets on your own because it takes up too much time and you will lose motivation and kill yourself.

Use as much libraries and open source code as you can, even if it's shitty. You need to become Pajeet because the game's speed of development is more important than the initial quality of the game and you can make things nice later. Otherwise you will lose motivation and kill yourself.

TLDR
Get help or you will kill yourself.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.