[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Urbit the new TempleOS? https://urbit.org/posts/overview
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
Is Urbit the new TempleOS?

https://urbit.org/posts/overview/

As with any dangerous new technology, it's fortunate that Urbit is not yet fully armed and operational. It's our plan to introduce Martian computing gradually, to avoid producing serious social unrest.

The Earth software that's most like Martian software is, of course, Lisp. (Lisp claims to be based on lambda, but the connection is in fact dubious - a true lambda language is more like Haskell.) Nouns can be described as "S-expressions without the S" - that is, there are no symbols or other base types; atoms are completely typeless. Note that Rivest's IETF draft also makes this change, although he (a) defines his atoms as octet-strings, not unsigned integers; and (b) remains list-centric, not pair-centric.

Of course, an octet-string and an unsigned integer are the same thing. And by general convention and common decency, nouns are pair-centric. In Nock, it is bad form to stick unnecessary terminators on tuples. Or, as a Lisper would say, "improper lists." Other than these unfortunate articles of baggage, though, Rivest's draft has a lot of cool syntax, which could easily be adapted to nouns and probably should be - if just to quell the suspicion, perhaps already pregnant in your mind, that Urbit is really just the world's worst case of NIH syndrome.
>>
>>54863549
Nobody will ever be able to use this shit nor templeos in a professional or even home computing environment fucking ever, this is worthless psychotic trash that won't amount to anything. Use a real OS like GNU, Mac or Windows, ones you can actually get shit done on.
>>
>>54863675
>Neckbeard: the post

Same things were said about GUI

>GUI isn't useful! Terminal rules!

Half of the physical objects around you were designed in Solidworks/Inventor/CATIA with a GUI, including cars and airplanes, and rockets.
>>
Urbit is way too esoteric to be talked about on /g/, I've been following it a year and I can't say that I fully understand it.

My issue with it, is that, while stateless, there still no apparent transparency in its computations, which I believe is essential for sane single user computing.
>>
>>54863761
>I've been following it a year and I can't say that I fully understand it.

I haven't looked at hoon much, but I understand the foundation which is Nock. It's just an effort to find a minimal basis for computing and build a fast real-world system on it (it still adheres to nock semantics but it is compiled to fast code).

> there still no apparent transparency in its computations, which I believe is essential for sane single user computing.

Do you mean no debugging and no program state model (i.e. what to debug and at which level). Perhaps it could be solved with snapshots and instrumented Hoon interpreter?
>>
Urbit and TOS are two different things, urbit runs ontop of a current os for "privacy", TOS is for recreational programming with a c64 on steroids.
>>
>>54863549
>bizarre but actually kind of cool software made by an insane racist
Seems pretty similar to me
>>
>>54863961
>Implying Mencious Moldbug is a brute racist
He is a subtle Neo-Reactionary connoisseur
plz don't bully (^:
>>
>>54863549
This is in no way related to TempleOS.
TOS is God's third temple, a medium between man and God, and a modern Commodore64 meant to teach kids about computers and the joys of programming and creating things.
>>
>>54864022
Actually Mencious Moldbug, author of Urbit values traditional white Christian culture, so at least some relationship to God's chosen OS can be shown.
>>
>>54863761
welp here's the HN thread if anyone cares to dive in

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11817721
>>
Urbit author know about 4chins!

>There's a place for the 4chans of the world, with totally disposable one-time identities. You can do this with Urbit as well -- use a 128-bit self-signing identity (comet). But most people tend to want a little more stability and permanence.
>>
>>54864630
The levels of spam...
>>
>>54864630
that's because this is the guy who was targeted by SJWs to have his talk at lambdaconf shut down
>>
>>54863549
I've seen this before, and read a lot of stuff on their site.

I still can't really figure out what the fuck it's supposed to be.
>>
>>54865183
>I still can't really figure out what the fuck it's supposed to be.

A distributed OS with well-defined sequence of states?
>>
>>54863720
>cars and airplanes, and rockets.
>designed on computers with a GUi
>>
I just visited his website and didn't understand a thing he said.
What the fuck is all this buzzword memery?
Am I being rused?
>>
File: 1395548010585.jpg (70 KB, 522x700) Image search: [Google]
1395548010585.jpg
70 KB, 522x700
>Your computer isn't yours unless you can run whatever software you want and switch without losing data. Imagine if you could replace the Facebook UI, or move your Evernotes to Google Docs.
What is this nigger trying to say?
>>
>>54865320
Hello, world https://www.google.com/search?q=solidworks+engineering&newwindow=1&hs=Yez&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
>>
>thinks haskell is more like lambda calculus than lisp
Confirmed for having not a single clue what he's saying.
>>
>>54865661
First lisp wasn't explicitly built around lambda calculus, it contained separate cons and stuff. Haskell is slightly more pure, isn't it?
>>
>>54865611
>airplanes 1911
>cars 1879
>rockets 1942
>being designed on a computer with a gui
>>
>>54865755
Top kek. Which of haskell and lisp is closer to the following again?
 λf. (λx. f(x x))(λx. f(x x))

Protip: it's not haskell.
>>
>>54865896
Boeing jets, SpaceX falcons and boston dynamics bigdogs were clearly engineered using Solidworks. It's just fact.
>>
>>54866026
>There are lots of superfluous parenthesis so LISP is closer
>>
I have a Battleship from the early days.

Weird fun stuff. It's also a social network. I recommend trying it.
>>
What cuckoldry is this?
>>
>>54867951
Found the inbred everybody!
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.