[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /g/ hate node ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: nodejs_logo_green.jpg (52 KB, 2000x857) Image search: [Google]
nodejs_logo_green.jpg
52 KB, 2000x857
Why does /g/ hate node ?
>>
Mostly because of JavaScript and its "callback hell" / "pyramid of doom" I think
>>
It's stupid and unnecessary.
>>
>>54859440
because JScript with WSH Objects is much better
>>
>>54859519
we have promises now, senpai. That's also the stupidest reason to hate js.
>>54859655
then i guess all languages besides assembly are unnecessary.
>>
>>54859686
>JScript
node is server-side, ya dingus.
>>
>>54859440
A contrived solution to a relevant problem.
>using javascript as a server-side language

Thanks Google for providing a "fast" javascript engine, now every webdev thinks they can hammer everything with JS.
>>
>>54859440
It's not as elegant as Python+Django
>>
>>54859725
>he doesn't know JScript
>>
>>54859725
And wsh is...

Aren't you supposed to be 18 to post?
>>
>>54859752
Is django catching on or is it something you just do in your spare time?
>>
>>54859766
>he uses windows shell host as his server stack.
>>
>>54859801
plenty of companies use it. its not as popular as rails though.
>>
>>54859801
It's been catching on for the past 3 years or so, I think it's pretty much the standard for python web frameworks, and a contender for being the standard for quick and easy deployment of a website.

I use it for work and my own personal business
>>
File: run it.png (25 KB, 394x236) Image search: [Google]
run it.png
25 KB, 394x236
>>54859815
>>
>>54859440
Because it's deemed it as "hispterish" and confuses javascript with the DOM.
>>
File: whoa-animated-gif.gif (2 MB, 500x220) Image search: [Google]
whoa-animated-gif.gif
2 MB, 500x220
Post yfw you realize that if C was used as a client language instead of javascript and was complied by the browser it would still be faster than javascript
>>
>>54859857
>confuses javascript with the DOM
what do you mean?
>>
>>54859886
I think he means /g/ confuses JS as this front-end DOM scripting language, rather than a language that is versatile in a multitude of situations, including back-end
>>
Javascript < Perl < Ruby < Python < Mainstream Corporate Languages
in this order regarding maintainability. These are basically rated as how much potential they have to be absolutely terrible based on the smelly sand ape that is writing it.
>>
>not programming everything in nasm
>>
>>54859905
>no PHP
>no clarification on 'Mainstream Corporate Languages'
>>
>>54859878
[citation needed]
>>
>>54859905
are you retarded? there are more pajeets writing c# and java than every other language combined.
>>
>>54859942

single translation unit builds compile in less than a second even at tens of thousands of lines long.
>>
>>54859925
PHP belongs down there with Javascript and Corporate Languages being
Java and some Java derivatives like C#. C++ is fine but only when you have a really good reason to be making something fast at the expensive of making it quickly.

Pick the right tool for the job. Also fuck django. Learn something like Spring, JSP, keep as much UI logic in the template language and controllers, use javascript for bitch UI work then proceed to bask in quality.
>>
>>54860054
>fuck django
>promotes spring
lmao m8 come on
>>
>>54860054
does enterprise even use spring?
>>
>>54860113
Only meme startups use Java as a back-end. It's not dynamic enough even with Spring's aspect-oriented programming part of the framework
>>
>>54860127
I see the words meme and dynamic. It sounds like you like python or javascript and certainly would only know about startups. You might not know much about companies that actually make cash hand over fist while keeping huge dev teams and have high product churn. Enjoy your delusions.
>>
>>54859988
shocking as it may be, your opinion isn't a valid source. post a link or something comparing the two.
>>
>>54859734
This.
"Oooh, I've learned some JS and now I think I can do aaanything!"

Fuck off.
>>
I like using it for building client-side resources, but I'm not at all sold on using it server-side.
>>
>>54860213
Considering I work at a huge company using Python/Django, and we know what all the meme startup companies around us use (node.js, anything back-end with angular, Java+Spring, C#), and what the more successful companies in our area use (Python/Django, Ruby on Rails, PHP+Laravel), I'd say you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>54860245
well technically they can.
>>
>>54860260
it's literally only for server-side you nigger

you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>54860269
except be fast
>>
>>54860269
Yeah, they can do:
-Android and iOS app development
-Windows App development
-Back End website development
-WebGL development

And all of that in a half-assed-shit-turd manner.
>>
>>54860298
speed doesn't matter for 99% of applications

most of the time for requests is waiting on network events and I/O

node has a non-blocking event-based structure that works great for these scenarios
>>
>>54860298
Javascript is on par with C and C++ when it comes to speed on any modern benchmark due to AoT compilation. This isn't the 1990s where shit was completely interpreted
>>
>>54860330
>>54860339
so, this is the reason why my computer hangs.
shitty reckless devs
>>
>>54860355
Why a tech illiterate, and english illiterate person, like yourself even posts on /g/ is beyond me
>>
>>54860339
>AoT compilation
AKA - translation into opcodes.
What's the point of using shitty Javascript at all then?
>>
>>54860330
>no snes emulator
>>
>>54860266
But I just identified your favorite language by looking at how you structure your responses.

That wasn't a mistake.
>>
>>54860403
Because web development is a field where automation and quick deployment are a necessary trait, and JS, being dynamic, lends itself to the easy creation of very useful tools, even if you don't use the likes of node.js.

For example, for any language/framework, you're going to use the likes of gulp and/or grunt for basic automation, and jQuery for powerful front-end functionality, and maybe some other helped JS frameworks like knockout.js or backbone.js
>>
>>54860379
Too bad your sentence was wreaked by grammatical inconsistencies.
>>
>>54860467
My favourite language is C, currently working on a GB emulator

Spring is still a meme framework no matter how you want to be assravaged by it
>>
>>54860482
Still more qualified to post on /g/ since I know the basics of how the web works. You sound like the kind of old person who downloads unnecessary toolbars
>>
>>54860496
I worked at a place that used Java and Spring. How do you feel about that?
>>
>>54860469
Yeah, basically I'll need 1000s of libraries and NPM repositories to actually do one tiny little thing.

Javascript is why everything sucks today.
>>
>>54860527
Sounds like a meme start up
>>
>>54860496
> Re-inventing the wheel
> Meme
> Assravaged
Aspirations: Nothing concrete
Delusions: Maximum
>>
>>54860529
What kind of automation do you need that you require 1000s of libraries? Most people I know just use Gulp in their company anyway.
>>
>>54860541
Actually one of the most integral organizations in the US. Tons of security mandated by the government.

I guess Java and Spring isn't so bad, huh?
>>
>>54860551
>Can't even get the age right
>ad hominum
>Delusions: Maximum
Aspirations: Nothing concrete
Delusions: Maximum
>>
>>54860576
It is actually, it's a huge meme
>>
>>54860576
It isn't worse than the rest but it wouldn't be hard to be better.
>>
I only use it for web bots and other socket communication programs.

>inb4 C can do this
No need to reinvent the wheel. Computation time doesn't matter over internet http communication.
>>
>>54860581
> Python, Django, C, Parroting
>>
>>54859878
>mfw each time opening a bloated website CPU usage goes 100%
>>
>>54860687
too bad that
>speed doesn't matter for 99% of applications
>>
>>54859440
Mainly because of >>54859519 and accusations that it results in shit code from web dev code monkeys.

The big selling point for Node is that it's a peer-reviewed solution to non-blocking HTTP/WAN networking.
>>
>>54859878
>mfw closing a tab results in a huge memory leak because someone forgot a free() somewhere
This is why higher level languages exist.
>>
>>54861015
>it results in shit code from web dev code monkeys.

But does it really?

It's not very hackable, like PHP is.
You're kinda forced to keep it somewhat clean or you'll never survive that callback hell.
>>
>>54860563
He means you import 3 libraries, each of which import 5 themselves, which all import some more, etc. etc. until you indeed have hundreds or even thousands of dependencies in no time.

That is my only big issue with node.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.