[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bluepill me on anti-static bracelet /g/. Are they memes? Wouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 61PPFfvuhkL._SY355_.jpg (18 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
61PPFfvuhkL._SY355_.jpg
18 KB, 355x355
Bluepill me on anti-static bracelet /g/. Are they memes? Wouldn't grounding oneself old school way work just as well?
>>
>>54858533
Yes. It's mostly just for idiots and paranoid people.
>>
>>54858533
They simply ground you.
>>
File: IMG_20160601_215330~01-1024x1045.jpg (274 KB, 1024x1045) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160601_215330~01-1024x1045.jpg
274 KB, 1024x1045
>>54858533
>>54860145
>>54860168
Yeah have fun with a short-circuited CPU fellow niggers
>>
ive built at least 10+ pcs in my socks on a carpet and never had any issues

its absolutely a meme
>>
>>54860296
do you live in a humid climate
>>
Is it 1995 again
>>
>>54860265
I just fondle a radiator while I work
>>
It's not a meme. It's simply a safety precaution for the hardware you're handling. Especially if you're working on carpet floors or some shit. The environment you're building is also a factor, so if you're building in an area below 60-70% humidity, it's a good idea to have one. ESD is a bitch, and you don't have to feel the shock to have killed your component, so I'd rather take the safe approach and use a wrist strap.
>>
People who know how physics works know how static electricity builds up.

These people don't need anti-static bracelets because they'll fuckin' ground themselves after they touch a static electricity source, like the outside of an anti-static bag (the inside is nickel-plated, the outside is not.)

Obviously the first thing you do when building or repairing any PC is that you install the PSU and plug it in, with the breaker switch open.
This gives you access to your home's ground.
>>
>>54860317
would you consider michigan humid?
>>
>>54860439
This is mainly what I do, or keep my hand on a metal part of the case. But if I have access to a wrist strap, then I'd use it, especially if it's someone else's machine. Idgaf about using one with my shit, because I can rightfully blame myself for fucking something up, even though it has never happened to me.
>>
>>54858533

It saves you from having to ground yourself and is mostly useless if you arent stupid.

I have one when I work on server stuff. If you are going to spend a extended period of time working or are working with something you dont want even a .005% chance of damaging you might want one otherwise just learn how to ground yourself.
>>
>>54860480
Yeah. Lots of moisture in the air coming from the Atlantic, and the Great Lakes.
>>
They make sense if you work with older stuff thats really sensitive to having it's memory wiped. New stuff is idiot proof and has it's bootloaders baked in to the silicone.
>>
>>54860518
true. Been here so long i just dont notice it
>>
Esd was a huge issue in the past . Not so much now
>>
>>54860652
You won't typically notice the humidity unless it's really hot outside. I live in Georgia, so it's unbelievably humid down here. Something like an annual average of 75-80% humidity during the day. But it isn't unheard for it to climb up to 100%.
>>
I've built and repaired computers for years and never used one. If you're paranoid you can just touch the case before touching the sensitive components. At worst that'll equalize the charge.
>>
>>54860265
Found the missing autistic kid, somebody call his mom
>>
>>54861611
Was 100% today in Waycross
>>
>>54860265
You should check out that red line going across your finger. You might have some kind of blood disease.
>>
>>54860265
installed my i7 on a carpeted floor wearing socks last winter and nothing happened because I was holding my sword by the blade while I did it you fucking idiot
>>
>>54860265
You have long fingers
>>
>>54858533
Old school way?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.