[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> Current year > Not using xonsh as your default shell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: ascii_conch_part_color_tight.png (28 KB, 260x399) Image search: [Google]
ascii_conch_part_color_tight.png
28 KB, 260x399
> Current year
> Not using xonsh as your default shell

http://xon.sh/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaje5I22kgE
>>
Ok, I'm bumping my own thread because this looks really awesome and I want to share it with you.
>>
>"Xonsh is a Python-ish"...
Stopped reading right there.
People who feel constrained by bash, tcsh etc always amaze me.
>>
>>54858632
Shell scripting is fucking ugly, this makes it bearable. If you don't feel constrained by sh-style shells you simply haven't programmed enough or aren't doing things that are more complicated than your basic rename/movie files, fetch data from the internet-scripts.
>>
>>54858687
>Rename/move files
A job very well executed within a shell environment
>Fetch data from internet scripts
I hope you are not using shell scripting for this anon

You probably are pretty new to programming since you haven't learned to use the right tool for the right job

Pretty much all of what was shown in the video is easily done in any shell with a basic understanding of basic utilities encountered in a Unix environment. And if you need some fancy tab-completiob bs then make sure to change your Pampers before attempting to install this memesh garbage
>>
> You probably are pretty new to programming since you haven't learned to use the right tool for the right job

Not really, however nice bait.

> Pretty much all of what was shown in the video is easily done in any shell with a basic understanding of basic utilities encountered in a Unix environment.

No one ever claimed that xonsh does something new or impossible with shell scripting, it just does it better than existing shells.

> And if you need some fancy tab-completiob bs then make sure to change your Pampers before attempting to install this memesh garbage

> If you want to use something usable then FUCK YOU.

All your replies are disregarded. You meme-tier garbage eater, please end your self.
>>
Why this over fish? Is it looking slow in the video because he's running it in his browser for whatever reason?
>>
>>54858340
Too lazy to check.
What makes it better than zsh, or even bash?
A lot of anons wouldn't want to check for some gimmick feature.
Hell, most don't even try out other shells
>>
>>54859796
Check out the video.
>>
>>54859771
Yep, definitely! I have it installed, it's just as "fast" as bash/zsh. It's the fakewriter/javascript bullshit that makes it seem slow.
>>
looks cool, might be a good reason to learn python.
I have just accepted the weird thing in bash, but I liked what he showed, maybe on my non work machine.
>>
I know this is not what the thread is about, but do you guys know what software he used for making the fake typing shell so he could "demo" it in a presentation?
Would be kinda cool to use for presentations in the future where I have to demo things in the shell.
>>
>>54858464
Hey, thanks son! Very interesting.
>>
>>54860419
Glad you are liking it.
>>
>>54858340
>What to do with my hands while presenting: the video
>>
that looks neat as fuck, not only as a shell but just the python superset
>>
>>54860602
Sure does.
>>
>>54858340
This is actually pretty neat.
However, I assume there is barely any support right?
And how is the prediction?
And can I use bash scripts just as normal?
>>
>>54861123
Barely any support? For what? You mean user-support? The documentation is pretty good, the GitHub is active.

Prediction is as good as it is on fish-shell in my limited experience -- it can also use bash-completion by default.

Yes you can. All proper bash scripts should have a shebang saying something like

#!/usr/bin/env bash
, if this is executable bash will automatically run when you execute them. You can also source bash files from within xonsh, with source-bash and then use the function and globals/aliases etc. defined therein.
>>
>>54861143
You're really focused on shilling this huh.
I assumed age through the video, but it appears I was wrong, as it seems to exist for over a year.

But fuck, now I probably have to update my installscript from zsh to this.

Btw, is there any conceivable lag? I'd assume not, but still, would it have heavy effects on e.g. a raspberry pi?
>>
>>54861259
> Btw, is there any conceivable lag? I'd assume not, but still, would it have heavy effects on e.g. a raspberry pi?

There's no lag on my machine, but it really isn't comparable to a Raspberry Pi hardware-wise. However I would think there shouldn't be any (except maybe a bit during the initial startup) -- since I BASH execution speed is pretty much slower than any other scripting language.
>>
>>54861259
> You're really focused on shilling this huh.

Also yes I am, since I dislike shell scripting but love Python. Is it really called shilling if I'm simply showing something better.
>>
>>54861295
Just realized that it doesn't matter since I barely use the shell on them
>>
>can't instal the aur nor the aur-git package
Dropped
>>
Then you are a retard, worked flawlessly for me.
>>
>>54861748
>>54862104
Sorry, meant to quote this retard. Providing no error-message whatsoever is really unhelpful too and shows how new you must be.
>>
>>54861748
just install it with pip install --user xonsh prompt_toolkit
and add $HOME/.local/bin to your PATH
>>
File: Magic Conch.png (127 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Magic Conch.png
127 KB, 300x300
>>54858340
Idiotic python toy. No one will use this in real scenarios.
>>
>>54862586
Good argument buddy, you seem frustrated kek.
>>
File: 1461659223986.png (95 KB, 698x228) Image search: [Google]
1461659223986.png
95 KB, 698x228
>>54862586
> wah wah something isn't as retarded as my needlessly shitty shell scripting language
> "real scenarios", i.e. my futa hentai archival
>>
This is why I come to /g/. Thanks OP, will check that out
>>
>>54863005
Glad you think so too.
>>
>>54858687
I wrote an IRC bot in bash without issue
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.