[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does /g/ know where I can start if I want to reverse engineer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: cw3.gif (5 KB, 510x285) Image search: [Google]
cw3.gif
5 KB, 510x285
does /g/ know where I can start if I want to reverse engineer 90's to early 2000's PC games? There are a lot that I feel had the balance and mechanics done perfectly and would like to see how they did it.

Mainly I'm looking at games like Star Wars Xwing vs Tie Fighter

Lords of the Realm II

Starcraft

Homeworld
>>
Is there some kind of decompiler that would break open the system files for the game?
>>
become familiar with how file formats tend to work. starcraft is a popular game so it's data files probably have tools and specs out that you can read. the older a game is the more likely that game data is to going to be hardcoded into the executable making it impractical to analyze
sounds like a pretty stupid idea in the first place to be honest, if you want to learn about game design or game programming there's far better ways than reverse engineering existing games
>>
You can try looking at source code for games released back then. id software has given many away for their games. There's even an ongoing video series on how to rebuild Quake step by step.
http://philipbuuck.com/handmadequake

>>54858580
Starcraft keeps all of it's assets inside mpq files which are just glorified archives.
>>
>>54858634
Awesome, thanks a lot

>>54858580
>sounds like a pretty stupid idea

If you dont learn from the past, all you're doing is wasting a perfect resource.
>>
Check this site out: http://fabiensanglard.net/. Scroll down a bit, there's some reverse engineering going on. Great stuff in general, guy knows his shit, I suggest you read as much as you can.
>>
man i loved lords of the realm
>>
>>54860525
Yeah me too, then age of empires came along and utterly addicted me.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.