[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People write amazing stuff in JavaScript. From all kinds of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: linuxonjs.png (85 KB, 682x500) Image search: [Google]
linuxonjs.png
85 KB, 682x500
People write amazing stuff in JavaScript. From all kinds of retro emulators to editors, browsers and even an x86 emulator that runs fucking Linux:
http://bellard.org/jslinux/

JavaScript (V8) beats Python 3 in terms of raw performance:
https://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u32/compare.php?lang=v8&lang2=python3

And ES6 brings a lot of neat stuff to the table making JavaScript one of the most modern programming languages currently in use in the world, supporting many different paradigms, styles and applications.
http://www.zsoltnagy.eu/functional-programming-with-es6/

Not to mention in terms of age vs maturity it's probably one of the most mature and active ecosystems for a scripting language.

Only sheep would be so stupid as to keep hating on it without any logical reason to do so. What does this say about /g/?
>>
>>54856239
>What does this say about /g/?
/g/ is a cesspool of NEETs and IT undergrads who think they know a lot about computers because they can write FizzBuzz in Haskell and once had to manually install a different graphics driver.

If there's any lesson to learn from /g/ is that you should never take anything on this board seriously.

Every now and then there are some good discussion involving knowledgeable people, but usually it is just meme heaven.
>>
>/g/ is shit
who'd a thought
>>
>>54856272
I honestly didn't expect this kind of response.
>>
>>54856272
This. /g/ doesnt know anything they circlejerk over there Loli pedos desktops and old bulky technology. They disagree with everything without providing an explanation because they don't have one
>>
I get triggered every day and I'm still autisticly coming back to this shithole.

4chan is literally ruining my life and I even noticed a slow change of perspective for the worse. Please, help me.
>>
>>54856239 (You)
>>54856272 (You)
>>54856282 (You)
>>54856286 (You)
>>54856312 (You)
>>54856334 (You)
>>
Well, Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Node plus Linux is actually a thing:
https://node-os.com/

https://github.com/NodeOS/NodeOS/issues/181
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-01_17-09-43.png (67 KB, 656x444) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-01_17-09-43.png
67 KB, 656x444
>>54856345
Nice try

>>54856334
I recommend to check out Lainchan. I think the userbase is pretty young there as well, but very literate and respectful. Shitposting not permitted.
>>
lol, I stopped 4channing years ago, I decided to have a look at how you're all all doing.

What a surprise.
>>
>>54856239
How the fuck do I run it outside of a browser? Is there an interpreter I can use? Can I somehow compile it to a binary?

As long as it stays inside my browser it's useless as fuck to me.
>>
>>54856854
>node.js
>>
>>54856854
Well this project in particular is fairly old. Nowadays you would use node to execute it on your desktop.

If you're not just shitposting you might be interested in this:
http://enclosejs.com/

There are other similar solutions, browse around.

Again Bellard's emulator was made with the browser in mind, so if you want to create a desktop version you will have to fiddle with the code a bit.
>>
This Bellard guy has made some impressive shit by the way:
http://copy.sh/v86/

>Native Oberon 2.3.6. via
>Windows 98 (16.0 MB) - Including Minesweeper, additional sectors are loaded as needed
>Arch Linux (10.1 MB) - A complete Arch Linux restored from a snapshot, additional files are loaded as needed
>KolibriOS (1.4 MB) - Graphical OS, takes about 60 seconds to boot
>Linux 2.6 (5.4 MB) - With busybox, Lua interpreter and test cases, takes about 20 seconds to boot
>Linux 3.18 (7.4 MB) - With internet access, telnet, ping, wget and links. Takes about 60 seconds to boot. Run udhcpc for networking. Exchange files through /mnt/.
>Windows 1.01 (1.4 MB) - Takes 1 second to boot
>FreeDOS (0.7 MB) - With nasm, vim, debug.com, some games and demos, takes 1 second to boot
>OpenBSD (1.4 MB) - Random boot floppy, takes about 60 seconds
>Solar OS (1.4 MB) - Simple graphical OS
>Bootchess - A tiny chess program written in assembly

Everything running on the same kind of emulator.
>>
>>54856945
Too bad they are all useless.
>>
>>54856239
>JavaScript (V8) beats Python 3 in terms of raw performance
And how is that impressing?

>And ES6 brings a lot of neat stuff to the table making JavaScript one of the most modern programming languages currently in use in the world, supporting many different paradigms, styles and applications.
No it doesn't. It doesn't even fix up the grime shit and actively prevented the development of the strong mode.

>Not to mention in terms of age vs maturity it's probably one of the most mature and active ecosystems for a scripting language.
You mean the shit-tier micropackages, polyfills and application frameworks of the day that try to make up for the missing sane stdlibs?

>Only sheep would be so stupid as to keep hating on it without any logical reason to do so.
Good thing there are enough logical reasons to hate it for, like the semantics and the ecosystem.

That isn't changed by the fact that some people know how to polish turd.

Also >>54856282
>>
>>54857080
Try this: https://github.com/sindresorhus/awesome-nodejs

See if your prepubescent brain is able to comprehend what any of those are for.
I'm sorry, but there's no FizzBuzz, so I don't think you'll find a project there with your pre-college skill level.
>>
>write something that has never been done before in a non-FP compiled language
>nobody even talks about it unless it's completely revolutionary like that Go AI

>write something in JavaScript 20 or more years after it was already done in another language
>oy vey! what an accomplishment!
>>
You must be a moron to think /g/ hates on the language or interpreters themselves

The only reason we talk shit about JS is because it allows incompetent sub 3 digit IQ people (women, blacks and so forward) to develop apps and horrible badly optimized stuff that consume shitload of processor and memory to do very little.

We had one macfag post a screenshot yesterday with top running, dude had 16GB ram and his swap partition was still used because of his ReactJS abomination editor
>>
>>54856239
Just like any scripting language, it's ok for scripts. But people keep abusing it for long-running programs. And unlike other scripting languages it uses 10x the ram.
>>
>>54857195
Atom consumes about 70 MB of RAM on my machine during a typical work session. You are clearly biased and pulling crap out of your ass in order to fling it around like a monkey.

>incompetent sub 3 digit IQ people (women, blacks and so forward)
Wow, anon, you must be a really sad person inside.
Also, it's "and so forth" not "and so forward". Learn to speak English and perhaps your IQ will finally pass 99.
I'm not a native myself and you wouldn't be able to tell if I didn't tell you.
>>
>>54857243
>ok for scripts

It's better than Java at what it is supposed to be designed for: https://dzone.com/articles/performance-comparison-between
And yes, Java is shit, but it's still widely used for all kinds of complex applications. How come a scripting language does a better job?
>>
>>54857244
>I'm not a native myself and you wouldn't be able to tell if I didn't tell you.
Wow, anon, you must be a really sad person inside.
>>
>>54856380
>guys asks for help to leave these kind of shitholes
>recommends another weeb shithole
wew lad
>>
>>54857278
Java EE
>>
>>54857278
>And yes, Java is shit
I found something in your post to agree with.
>>
>>54857243

Seriously? Have you even looked at:
>>54857142
>>
>>54857244
>Atom consumes about 70 MB of RAM on my machine during a typical work session
The guy yesterday with the 16G ram posted a screenshot where Atom was using 800M.
>>
>>54857312
Like I said: People keep abusing it for long running programs.
>>
>>54857321
and his swap partition showed 1GB usage lmao, that's about 17gb
>>54857244
>you must be a real sad person inside
indeed, it makes me sad to see people like you, the world is really unfair and I feel sorry for you
>>
>>54857321
Welp, I guess it depends on what files you have open and what plugins you have loaded. I'm not saying you're lying btw.

>>54857341
>zlib implementation comparable in speed to C native implementation (https://github.com/nodeca/pako)
>abusing

Dude it's not abusing if it does its job well.

Anyway, what am I doing, trying to talk to 40 year olds with the brains of 13 year old kids straight out of /pol/? I'm out of here. Enjoy your shitposting on welfare-paid anxiety pills.
>>
>>54857398
>calls people immature
>pulls a childish welfare insult
kek, I guess there's no hope for some
>>
>>54857398
What is often ignored is the ram usage of JS. Maybe V8 has been optimized to give you good single-threaded performance. But has it been optimized to use an appropriate amount of ram? I think not. Those "fast" JS benchmarks usually omit the ram usage. And for good reason, V8's ram usage is atrocious even compared to other scripting languages. Maybe that is how they by their performance.

Even from an artistic standpoint those programs are uninspired.
>>
>>54857195
>...allows incompetent sub 3 digit IQ people (women, blacks and so forward) to develop...
Top kek. This is the reason I keep coming back to /g/. I can picture the 15 year old, greasy zit-faced fedora-wearing autist typing this from his mom's basement, and try to imagine the entirely fucked up, antisocial, aspergers-ey 'thought' process that allows them to think this is even the slightest bit sane on a thing to say.
>>
>>54857506
I come to /g/ to see people fall for obvious bait.
>>
Who gives a shit about a performance of a scripting language? These languages serves other purposes.

Python is deeply rooted in the Linux ecosystem and can easily call any method from binary shared libraries using ctypes which will do all heavy computations with a speed of a compiled native binary.

JavaScript was is and will be inside browsers, and may be couple of freaks will be use it for some non-usual tasks.
>>
>JS
>one of the most modern languages in the world
KEK
I bet it's not based on PLT less than 10 years old.
>>
>>54857468
It is. Modern GCs with good throughput require about 3 times the memory than without GC.
>>
>>54857513
this was so easy man, look at all the gullible summerfags get played like puppets, i love it
>>
>>54856239
>javascript
>>
Alright then, guess I got to learn it seriously. Any recommendations where to begin? I do know the basics and have made some stuff using it, but basically just regular syntax and DOM stuff.

Gotta get more advanced, advice /g/ents?
>>
>>54856239
javascript is shit. TypeScript makes it tolerable, but is still shit.
>>
I'm a webdev and honestly I am diving deeper to the point of doing shit like assembly because it took 70 years of hardware and low-level progress for me to be able to stand on the shoulders of giants and to be able to make a s1ck parallax effect in JavaScript that runs at 60fps, and I want to know how we got here.
>>
>>54857621
m8, if doing parallax scrolling effects at only 60fps on a modern computer impresses you, something is SERIOUSLY wrong with the industry
>>
>>54857576
Imagine being an Intel engineer and reading this shit. Like seriously imagine
having to be that engineer and just sit there and hear people talk about how
pointers are bad and how everyone should just use their cache raping scripting
languages. Not only having to tolerate that monstrous fucking ram usage but
also have everyone go DAMN, YOU CAN WRITE AN ENTIRE *OS* in JAVASCRIPT?? You've
been doing nothing your ENTIRE CAREER but optimize single instructions for
months at a time to use half a cpu cycle less. And then they release another
text editor written in JS.
>>
>>54857750
>Imagine being an Intel engineer and reading this shit.
*rubs hands*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Trail_%28JavaScript_engine%29
>>
>>54856239
Python is actually pretty good. It's got some remarkably stupid ideas, but it's downright elegant at times. It's practically a Lisp.

>People write amazing stuff in JavaScript. From all kinds of retro emulators to editors, browsers and even an x86 emulator that runs fucking Linux:
People write amazing stuff in other languages.
The JS emulator in particular is a bad example. JS is remarkably poorly-suited for an emulator. Bellard mostly did it for fun because it's a stupid idea, like how some people write in Brainfuck for fun.

>JavaScript (V8) beats Python 3 in terms of raw performance:
That's the default interpreter, which is slow. Compare to Pypy or other JIT compilers.
And Python is slow. Beating it is unimpressive.
>>
>>54857576
JUST
>>
>>54857750
As a computer engineer (not at Intel), I don't mind. One of the biggest benefits of faster computers is that programmers can be lazier. A programmer can eschew cleverness and just make something that works. It's my job to make your programs run faster so you don't have to.

That said, a text editor in JS is appalling. I like freeing people from performance constraints, but that sort of excessive inefficiency is unacceptable.
>>
>>54857798
>Python is actually pretty good. It's got some remarkably stupid ideas, but it's downright elegant at times. It's practically a Lisp.
This should say Javascript, not Python.
>>
>>54857142
Back to your cave my man.
>>
>>54857865
But they can't be lazier. I bought a PC in 2004 with 4G ram. And nowadays laptops still sell with 4G of ram but programs use 10x the amount of ram they used in 2004.
>>
>>54857576
If you replaced JavaScript with Lisp, Lisp weenies would all agree with him.

The only difference between the mentalities of JavaScript and Lisp programmers is that Lisp has been around longer and is more prestigious.
>>
>>54857907
I have never read that a smug lisp weenie would have written "I'm glad I never learnt pointers"
Isn't the usual combo C and scheme where you program your low level shit in C and then extend it whit scheme.
>>
I'm still beginning, compared to an x86 emu this is crap https://jsfiddle.net/vndLbj8z/
>>
>>54857906
>I bought a PC in 2004 with 4G ram.
That would have been a damn expensive machine. In 2004, that much RAM would cost well over $500.

A similarly expensive machine these days would have a LOT more than 4 GB.

>>54857907
I'm a Lisp weenie and I don't agree at all. I usually use very high-level languages (except when I'm writing in C), but understanding what the machine is doing is still essential to writing efficient software. Not using pointers is not the same as not knowing what they are.

Ideally people shouldn't have to worry about low-level details, but right now they do. Maybe some day people will be able to write everything in JS with good results, but that day is not today.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.