[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say, does self-learning actually work when it comes to programming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Say, does self-learning actually work when it comes to programming?

People would always say 'learn to code' but I hardly suspect it's ever that simple. How can I employ self-learning in a way that I can actually be a good programmer? What are some good resources and things to do to make sure I'm actually learning? Also, where to start if I genuinely want to commit long-term to programming? I'm not necessarily looking for a job here, it's just something I've always wanted to do.
>>
pls don't sink. I know you get plenty of those "I want to code" posts but I'm genuinely serious and I know exactly how hard it's going to be

I neglected mentioning that I took an Intro to Python course in college, and I'm generally just looking for something to do in my summer vacation. It would also increase my graduation credentials as a mechanical engineer (still a 2nd year so it's a good chance)
>>
>>>/g/dpt
>>
try creating something you find interesting (a platformer game)

when you get stuck, google it.
>>
>>54853326
>>54853531

>how hard
Hard. Challenging. Unknown territory. A lot of brainpower and energy.

>good resources
Books. edX. Coursera. GitHub OSS Student Project.

>would increase graduation credentials
>something to do in summer vacation

Bottom line is, just fucking do it and find out for yourself instead of posting about doing it.
>>
>>54853326
www.freecodecamp.com
>>
>>54853577

What if I do it incorrectly and end up wasting my time without truly learning anything? There are correct ways and incorrect ways to learn new things. I want to be as efficient as I can be.
>>
>>54853326
program arcade games.com
>>
>>54853326

Depends on your talent.

I'm self-educated and am taking part in the standardization of the Scheme programming language now and have worked as an iOS developer for almost 5 years with my employer being very happy with me.
>>
You learn programming from reading on your own, it's a lot easier since you can keep your own pace

DL some intro book on programming
>>
>>54853584
thank you for this recommendation, I'm actually getting a practical intro to all this stuff that felt so nebulous before. after just 2 hours i already feel a bit more confident
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.