[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people use Vim when Emacs has evil-mode?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 1464542237759.jpg (161 KB, 414x615) Image search: [Google]
1464542237759.jpg
161 KB, 414x615
Why do people use Vim when Emacs has evil-mode?
>>
Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping
>>
>>54849792
Changing to a new environment is scary and uncomfortable.
>>
Cause Vim is for skiddies who can barely program

Vim attracts """desktop thread""" types who never write code and this reflects in the quality of development of Vim
>>
>>54849962
How wrong can you be.
>>
>>54849792
Because Emacs is bloated as fuck? Elisp?
>>
Both vim and emacs suck. Use sublime like a functional member of society.
>>
>>54849792
What is this vein kid meme?
>>
Too lazy to switch and deal with the inevitable minor problems that will drive me insane and take tons of time to fix. Have to learn a whole new environment, my vimrc is fairly long and I use a lot of plugins

Vim just werks.
>>
>>54850034
>emacs
>bloated
Does your computer have 8 megabytes of RAM or something?
>>
>>54850084
>my vimrc is fairly long and I use a lot of plugins
>Vim just werks.
>>
>>54849792
Probably because Nano exists and only autistic people use Vim or Emacs.
>>
>>54849792
> Vim vs Emacs
> spend all day ricing your bloated as fuck editors
> not just using /usr/bin/vi
faggots everywhere
>>
>>54850091
Yes.
>>
I use vi, I ain't got time for ricing.
>>
>>54850060
I dont know either, what was his problem?
>>
ed is the standard text editor.
>>
>>54849825
Emacs uses like 20 MiB of RAM on my computer, and it can do so many things with it that it's hard to call it bloat. Also, it allows to do stuff without taking hands off the keyboard, and it's consistent.
>>
How do I learn to use one of those autistic editors without breaking my hands with keyboard shortcuts?
>>
>>54852378
C-h t
Start from there, it's just the basics.
>>
>arguing over abandonware
lmao
>>
>>54849792

For me the main differnece is that in Emacs you are "normally" in the text entering mode and the commands are a level beyond that.
In Vim its the other way arround, you are "normally" in the command mode and the input mode is one level beyond.

Therefor I like Vim more, because I feel like Vim lets me do shit with as little commands as possible.
Also using macros is easy and powerfull.

I don't like Emacs' combinations, that you always have to press two keys at once. It just feels wierd for me that you have to press [Ctrl]+d instead of just pressing x.

I like Emacs' kill buffer, but I that constant [Ctrl]+this, [Ctrl]+that is just a huge turnoff for me.
>>
>>54852334
This thread is about vim vs emacs so the "so much stuff without my hands off the keyboard" bit is irrelevant
>>
Eight-hundred Megabytes And Constantly Swapping
>>
>>54849792
Why do people use Linux when Windows has bash now?
>>
>>54853622
You're thinking Atom.
>>
>>54849792
Holy fuck, who gives a shit. Jacking off to whatever text editor you use is pure autism.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.