[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BSD And Other Things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: Rock.jpg (79 KB, 255x323) Image search: [Google]
Rock.jpg
79 KB, 255x323
/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD

IRC -> irc.rizon.net #baot

News: http://dragonflydigest.com - http://undeadly.org - http://freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers.
>>
>nobody uses it
>>
>>54843593
lol
>>
>>54843593
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_products_based_on_FreeBSD
>>
anyone having troubles installing cde on freebsd?
i followed the instructions at https://sourceforge.net/p/cdesktopenv/wiki/FreeBSDBuild/ but it just leaves me at the login screen
>>
>>54842580
Anyone try openbsd on a Surface?
>>
>>54843609
So who on that list is paying you shills?
>>
>>54845052
>moving the goalpost AGAIN
i could really make a bingo game out of your shitposts
>>
File: 1445891407601.png (331 KB, 600x335) Image search: [Google]
1445891407601.png
331 KB, 600x335
>>54845052
Where do I sign up to get paid to shill shit? Anything. I don't care what, so long as I get paid.
>>
What about PC-BSD?

I have been using it on one of my older PCs, and it works great. I love the native ZFS.
>>
>>54845996
I just want HAMMER2 to be done already.
>>
>>54845996
I tried it a few years ago. It felt sluggish, and unresponsive. I keep meaning to give it another try to see if it's matured any since then.
>>
>>54844589
I've been meaning to try this on OpenBSD, thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>54846358
I haven't been able to get CDE to build on 5.7-5.9
>>
>>54846473
CDE's build system in general is just plain broken. Don't know how it wouldn't be since the source was closed for decades.
I think some OpenBSD devs have been working on a port to fix it, but I don't know how far they got.
>>
>>54846473
Yeah I didn't get very far. Fa la la.
>>
>cuck licenses

heh
>>
>>54849427
Oh it's you
>>
>>54849469
Yes... yes it is.
>>
File: one-size-fits-all.gif (189 KB, 589x582) Image search: [Google]
one-size-fits-all.gif
189 KB, 589x582
NetBSD is my favorite. Super simple and old school.
>>
I tried my first BSD today (Dragonfly), and I loved it.

That is all.
>>
>>54850006
the problem with it is that openbsd pretty much superseded it
what is even the point of it anymore? to show us that it can be used in embedded environments?
>>
>>54850157
There's a few notable features that NetBSD offers. You can sort of view NetBSD as a middle-ground between FreeBSD and OpenBSD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBSD#Features

>ZFS filesystem support
>Compatibility layers for several *nix OSes including Linux, FreeBSD, illumos/Solaris
>Can read from linux, windows, and various *nix filesystems
>Security features like ASLR, restricted mprotect() and Segvguard from the PaX, GCC Stack Smashing Protection or ProPolice

They have their own projects as well like npf which is a packet filter similar to openbsd's pf and pkgsrc which is a package manager that runs on a ton of platforms.

They also have the rump kernel stuff, it's basically the netbsd kernel stripped down to the bare essentials aside from drivers and you can run it in the userspace of another OS as a compatibility layer to provide drivers to the host OS.

They're quite active they just don't really get much attention.
>>
>>54850546
oh yeah, i forgot about pkgsrc
i guess having portable ports is pretty cool, i was thinking of trying out LFS one day and using pkgsrc
>>
>>54850546
Oh and I'm pretty sure NetBSD also supports open source Intel and Radeon graphics so there's that too.
>>
>>54850546
I was pretty happy to find out about pkgsrc, it's nice to have a backup for Tigerbrew on PowerPC OS X systems
>>
File: chon.gif (109 KB, 209x193) Image search: [Google]
chon.gif
109 KB, 209x193
>tfw Theo emails you
excite.png
>>
>>54851334
>it's literally "go fuck yourself"
>>
>>54851349
N'aww, it was actually helpful stuff since I'm generally a newb and it was just me submitting my first diff ever.
>>
>>54851392
oh well im glad to hear that
i hear he's actually a really nice guy in real life but he just does that on the mailing list to keep retards out
>>
>>54851480
All the quotes I've read of him being "mean" were when high-profile people tried to push code or ideas on him which he considered bad, but I don't actually have real experience with the mailing lists yet, having subscribed just today.
I'm comfy. Might go to sleep so when I wake up I can figure out how to make my stuff work with pledge better.
>>
>>54842580
I'm genuinely asking, why would I choose any BSD over linux? In what aspect it is better?
>>
>>54851650
it is merely preference for me, but i like the documentation, the centralization, the cohesion and more stuff that i can't think of right now
a lot of GNU manpages are fucking horrible to read but BSD ones are clear and concise and often give you examples or tell you about pitfalls in certain programs
>>
>>54851650
https://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01
>>
>>54851700
I'm sold already:

>Linux has never had any sort of separation between what is the "base system" and what is "addon utilities". The entire system is "addon utilities". MySQL is no different from ls from KDE from whois from dc from GnuCash from ... Every bit of the system is just one or another add-on package.

But how good is it for desktop use? Does it have the fraction of terrible hardware support linux has?
>>
>>54851735
>But how good is it for desktop use? Does it have the fraction of terrible hardware support linux has?
you have to be sure your hardware is somewhat old, unfortunately
and if you want to try openbsd/netbsd, you can't have a nvidia GPU because nvidia is greedy
i do think netbsd is actually the best at separating stuff, as config files for 3rd party programs are actually stored under /usr/pkg/etc i believe
>>
File: desktop.png (6 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
desktop.png
6 KB, 1024x768
>>54851751
>tfw nvidia has no drivers
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.