[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
elementary is the only distro which recognizes my wireless adapter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: wifi.png (78 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
wifi.png
78 KB, 256x256
elementary is the only distro which recognizes my wireless adapter (Broadcom BCM43142) during installation but it's annoyingly shit otherwise. Is there some way for me to grab the drivers in use right now, plop them on a USB drive and then install something easier to work with?

All I want is Openbox, Firefox, Libreoffice and as little else as possible. I didn't expect that to be difficult.
>>
Install Windows 7 and forget about these petty problems
>>
>>54842349
Install XFCE over it?
>>
>>54842349
I had the same problem with elementary, getting drivers on it is very difficult and i was never able to get it.

Try something like manjaro where it can fetch either free or nonfree drivers and you can just tweak your de as needed
>>
>>54842361
Too fat. Even with the headache I have going on now, I managed to get Openbox running (with elementary freaking out) and it idles at under 200MB/5% CPU. I can't get that with Windows on this piece of shit.

>>54842370
I'm not concerned about the "over." It's the stuff that's "under" which is annoying me. I don't want Pantheon/Wingpanel/etc. shit anywhere.
>>
>>54842413
Cart before the horse problem. I can't fetch wireless drivers with a computer that only has wireless networking. But yes, that's ultimately what I'm after: finding a way to get these drivers onto a local medium, picking a simpler distro and stitching it all together.
>>
Nigger, every distro can support it if you know what you're doing.
You can get it working on Debian and it's derivatives (and the derivatives of that derivative) with a specific driver.
In Arch based distros you just need broadcom-wl.
I'm sure Fedora has something as well but I can't speak on that.
>>
>>54842443
If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be using elementaryOS.

>with a specific driver
Debian was my first plan but I couldn't find the driver and point the installer at it in such a way that it would accept it.

>you just need broadcom-wl
If it's really that simple and I can acquire that package before wiping the system, I might just try that then.
>>
>>54842349
other distros include the broadcom driver on the installation media

dont recall the exact route, but something like '/cdrom/restricted/b'

depends of the distro. double click it.
>>
>>54842467
As far as I'm aware, Debian and Ubuntu didn't. With the former the netinstaller couldn't get the wireless adapter working and I tried several different .debs shuttled over on a second USB drive. Ubuntu didn't recognize the adapter in LiveCD mode so my hunch is that I'll face a similar issue during a proper install too.
>>
>>54842464
Maybe you will need that anon.
http://dl.free.fr/mon.pl?i=8989264&h=a0oVE8zo
>>
>>54842562
I would sooner go out to Best Buy and purchase a Macbook than download some random file from a French language site linked to me on 4chan. I appreciate the help but that's just too far for me.
>>
>>54842584
It's just the files you need to put in /lib/firmware to make your wireless card work.

You will take 3 hours, and at the end you will get these files by other way. But I understand your pov.
>>
>>54842349
I have the same fucking chip
>Distros that come with automatic detection
>Manjaro
>Mint
>Elementary
>Plebian
>Antergos
Distros that need driver installation from the live usb
>*buntu
Distros that will give you pain in the ass
>Calculate linux
>Plebian "free"
>Any free distro
>Fedora
>Kororra
>OpenSUSE
Distro I use
>Arch

It's easy on Arch, thanks to the AUR
#packer -S b43-firmware-classic broadcom-wl
Or if you are using the zen kernel
#packer -S b43-firmware-classic broadcom-wl-dkms
Or if you are using the grsec kernel
#packer -S b43-firmware-classic broadcom-wl-grsec
Or if you are using the linux-ck kernel
#packer -S b43-firmware-classic broadcom-wl-ck
Or if you are using gresc kernel with zen patchset
#packer -S b43-firmware-classic broadcom-wl-zen-gresc

AUR is fucking awesome
>>
>>54843090
Meant $ instead of #
>>
Which distros did ya try? a lot of it is base don kernel. But I have been lucky at times with even debian working out th ebox on some laptops

anyway. sor tof just use windows now.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.