[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows 10 introduces a revolutionary solution - The Multiple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1366x768
Windows 10 introduces a revolutionary solution - The Multiple Desktop system.
>>
I wish Linux DEs had something like this.
>>
File: 78qtZD8.gif (1 MB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
78qtZD8.gif
1 MB, 499x281
so much ass pain for linux
so much memes
>>
>>54839413
They promised that for 7, what took 'em so long...
>>
but most importantly, what's the point of this?
>>
>>54839413
I've had this for years in Linux, but never really use it. It always seemed to me like having multiple monitors except you can't see all the monitors at once. kinda useless.
>>
Great, now there will never be the year of the linux desktop
>>
Fucking genius. You wish your shitty OS had something like this, freetards.
>>
Is EVERY thread a troll thread now?
>>
>>54839644
0/10
>>
I now understand why android users get butt hurt when ifags talk about new iPhone shit.

"Hey anon, check out what Windows 10 can do now!"
Oh cool, I've only been able to do that for the last 8 years.
>>
File: 1451700150539.png (91 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1451700150539.png
91 KB, 800x600
>>
>>54839644

I can see the point of it for programmers or something but I've never had a use for it.
>>
What's the point of multiple desktops when we already have multiple windows?
>>
>>54839413
APPLEL AND LOONIX FINISHED AND BANKRUPT
>>
File: 1.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>>54839413
Windows 10 is the most advanced operating system ever made.
And it's beautiful.
>>
>>54839813
Preserves position. You can switch many windows with one click, and not lose your mental state. For example, you might be merging two documents and switch away to look something up - it could be easy to lose track.

I don't use it though, because I feel like I'd forget about applications I had running in the background (OSX, the dock isn't great for that)
>>
>>54839476
>>54839644

I imagine it'd possibly have some use on a Laptop. I work from my laptop sometimes and I need to often have a PDF open while I'm working. I realize that this is basically a glorified Alt-Tab, but still it if it makes my job 'slightly' easier. I'll take it.

It's definitely useless though if you have multiple monitors.
>>
>>54839868
ten rupees have been deposited into your bank account pajeet.
>>
>>54839441
I hope you're trolling, winnoob
I had multiple desktops since my first Slackware install in 2003
God I hope you're trolling
Go back to /v/ kthxbye
>>
>>54839905
>It's definitely useless though if you have multiple monitors.
>being this pleb

using extended setting for my dual-monitors

Workspace 1: Not Work
----Desktop 1
--------Safari window
----Desktop 2
--------incognito safari window

Workspace 2: Work
----Desktop 1
--------directory open in finder
--------sublime text
----Desktop 2
--------terminal window
--------Activity Monitor

Workspace 2: Gay Anime Shit
----Desktop 1
--------finder window open to a bunch of anime
--------terminal window of a program that keeps track of the anime I'm due to watch
----Desktop 2
--------Parallels Desktop in Fullscreen of a VN I'm playing

you will NEVER be as organized as I am if you don't use multiple workspaces
>>
>>54839916
shoo shoo poo
>>
>>54840054
Sounds like ADHD. Stop trying to do 12 things at once.
>>
>>54839413

Doesn't 10 already have it? What do you mean '[it] introduces'?
>>
>>54840098
I actually DO have ADHD, but most times I only have two of the 3 workspaces in use. Like right now, my third workspace is empty since I finished watching anime last night and haven't started back up today yet. So only my work workspace and this one for web-browsing are open. It's comfy AF
>>
>>54840054
You could do all of that without multiple desktops
>>
>>54839905
>It's definitely useless though if you have multiple monitors.
Honestly, no. I often have a dozen of windows opened, and workspaces allow me to organize them more. Generally, it’s:
Workspace 1: Internet related (tweetdeck, emails, things…)
Workspace 2: Audio dev
Workspace 3: Audio dev test
Workspace 4: software dev and tests
Workspace 5: windows that don’t fit to the other workspaces
>>
>>54840153
You could write an entire operating system using only pure binary.
>>
>>54840153
You could write an entire OS using only pure binary.
>>
it's over

linux is finished
>>
>>54839413
By 2050 they'll have spinning cubes.
shiggidy.
>>
>>54840200
KDE you can have mulitple configurations of desktop widgets for each desktop space.
i.e. internet, graphics...
>>
>>54839931
Cringe
>>
>>54839644
I like it. I put all the stuff I want open but not visible on a separate workspace, or if I'm doing multiple things I'll have a workspace for each task. Right now I have a workspace for things like htop, transmission, Steam's friends window, a workspace with Blender, GIMP, Nemo, and EOG, and a workspace over here with Firefox, its download window, and a terminal. And Hexchat shows up on every workspace. Switching from workspace to workspace is so smooth with GNOME. I'm going to miss it when I dump systemd. :/
>>
>>54839868
>beautiful
Stealing this from an anon from yesterday, right clicking is like playing wheel of fortune with your computer. Who knows what style of context menu you'll get? And there's 2 control panels and so far I've found 3 different places where you can change the date and time.

Also here's your daily reminder that Windows still renders text and even scrollbars inside the kernel and that this has been successfully used in the past to completely own Windows systems.
>>
The problem with these are that if you have 2 monitors, it changes virtual desktop on BOTH. I want someway to make it only do it on the focused desktop.
>>
>>54840487
I think there's a way to do this on GNOME, but instead of switching on the focused desktop it'd only switch on the primary desktop, making any other desktops basically static. You could always write something up with wmutils that would do that for you though.
>>
Is it true that when when you change virtual desktops, the programs on the unfocused virtual desktop goes idle?
>>
>>54840319
That sounds interesting, alas I really don’t like KDE, I’ve been used for too long to GNOME when working under Linux
>>
>>54839466
Sysinternals, there's a very simple and primitive workspace feature of up to 4 virtual desktops

>>54840622
Not on Apple
>>
>>54840622
I haven’t experienced that yet with Win10. Don’t know about GNOME (Arch Linux), since I don’t really use workspaces with this OS.
>>
>>54839413
wake me up when they make an operating system that i can have a taskbar on each monitor
its fucking 2016 come on
>>
>>54841287
>>
>>54839413
a sysinternals tool did that since XP
>>
>>54839644

This. It always seemed more direct just to cmd-tab to a different application rather than explicitly spending time arranging windows. Virtual desktops seem to be a polarising feature
>>
>>54839868
how to fully transparent?
>>
>>54841353
whats that win10?
no thanke
>>
various unix and linux have already had that for years
>>
>>54839413
>Windows 10 introduces a revolutionary solution - The Multiple Desktop system.

What the shit are you even talking about? Someone please explain this,
>>
>>54842146
Start10
>>
>>54842166
it’s Win7, not Win10
>>
>>54839413
So Windows 10 is finally starting to catch up with OS X and Linux. That being said, the virtual desktops in Win10 is shit-tier compared to OS X's
>>
>>54842257
not on my machine its not
>>
>>54841353
Theme?
>>
>>54839931
Did you really just fall for bait this obvious? Please kys.
>>
>>54839413
even twats on benefits have a trio display setup at home. useless
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.