[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Radios are tech related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 2517214405_0cd1c40884_b.jpg (171 KB, 1024x790) Image search: [Google]
2517214405_0cd1c40884_b.jpg
171 KB, 1024x790
Anyone scanning police frequencies using a radio? What's your setup like?
>>
>>54836498
Only do that if you are a Free Inhabitant that does not fall under the jurisdiction of the US
>>
can you even pick up their frequencies with a store bought scanner? aren't their frequencies encrypted?
>>
>>54836640
>>54836594
Niggas Batman can do that. Why can't he?
>>
>>54836640
Depends on where you are. I can listen to my local PD, fire, ems, etc.
>>
dude, using listening in on police frequencies is totally legal in the US. Shits rather boring around here so I don't often bother listening in.

Also get a ham licence. 15 bucks and a weekend of your time. Totally worth it if you're getting into radios.
>>
>>54836498
Sweet vape bro
>>
>>54836640

The general talkgroups are not 99% of the time. The talkgroups that SWAT/Undercover/Secret Squirrel guys use usually are encrypted.
>>
>>54836640
I can pick up Fire/EMS on my BaoFeng in urban Long Island, NY. Police freqs are encypted and on a Motorola Trunk Tracking System in the 800MHz range. Generally, smaller municipalities are probably on lower VHF frequencies in the 140-170 range and more modernized departments in larger cities will be encrypted.

You can listen to them but you need more expensive equipment. Expect to pay $350-400+ on average, though you may find better deals.

as for the legality, check your local laws. In NYS there is an exemption for Amateur Radio Operators (which I am) that protects my monitoring of police frequencies.

--------
A person, not a police officer or peace officer, acting pursuant to his special duties, who equips a motor vehicle with a radio receiving set capable of receiving signals on the frequencies allocated for police use or knowingly uses a motor vehicle so equipped or who in any way knowingly interferes with the transmission of radio messages by the police without having first secured a permit so to do from the person authorized to issue such a permit by the local governing body or board of the city, town or village in which such person resides, or where such person resides outside of a city or village in a county having a county police department by the board of supervisors of such county, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars, or imprisonment not exceeding six months, or both.
>Nothing in this section contained shall be construed to apply to any person who holds a valid amateur radio operator's license issued by the federal communications commission and who operates a duly licensed portable mobile transmitter and in connection therewith a receiver or receiving set on frequencies exclusively allocated by the federal communications commission to duly licensed radio amateurs.
----------

this site is periodically updated but check your state's law yourself as well.
http://www.fireline.org/scanlaws/
>>
>tfw wasn't paid attention and bought a radio that that didn't support UHF
Fuck, at least I have a neat little walkie talkie
>>
File: 1463781496016.png (7 KB, 748x780) Image search: [Google]
1463781496016.png
7 KB, 748x780
>mfw access to most of the frequencies of my country's Ministry of Interrior
>>
SDR is the future, kids. I own two "cheap USB TV tuners" aka RTL-SDR sticks and I can monitor pretty much anything out there (everything except encrypted content) in most any format be it pure analog or even digital nowadays (P25 Phase I and II, DMR/TRBO, NXDN, etc) and I spent $25 to be able to do it.

I've owned traditional physical scanners since the 1970s (yes kids, I'm much older and wiser than 99.5% of you around here) but SDR just brings it back into being somewhat fun to do and experiment with to see what's possible.
>>
>>54840001
Quit trying to talk down to people just because you're an old fuck.
>>
>>54840049

Take it, punk, you know you love it.
>>
>>54840159
No it's actually pretty fucking stupid
>lol guise I'm an old fart so I'm better than you
How's it feel to know you're closer to death than 99.5% of us here?
>>
>>54840218
Death is part of being alive.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.