[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computers for brains
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Hex.png (484 KB, 1460x1460) Image search: [Google]
Hex.png
484 KB, 1460x1460
What would happen if my brain was replaced with a miniature computer that was complex enough to function and act like a normal human brain such as storing all of my memories, personality, and passing the Turing test? The computer has to be placed in a human body with no prior modifications. Would I still be considered human because only a small portion of my body was replaced or would I just be a robot in a six-foot meat-mech because there is a certain part of the human anatomy that must never be replaced or enhanced?
>>
>>54835992
yes
>>
Well would it be an extension to a brain or would it be a separate individual that slowly started taking over you?

And your own consciousness is noticing having less and less control.
>>
>>54835992
you would die
nobody would notice
>>
AUUUGH INSTALL GANTOO

xD
>>
>>54835992
if your brain were replaced by a mini computer, probably you would not post this kind of shit
>>
The original "you" would die. There would be another one with the same memories and personality, but it would basically be a clone. No one, even the new "you" would know the difference, but the original you that had this thought would be gone forever.
>>
>>54836198
LOL! EPIC meme sir... simply EPIC. +1 internets to you ^3^
>>
>>54836262
What if you slowly replace certain parts of the brain at a time instead of all at once? This way you could stay conscious and "move" parts of your consciousness to your new brainputer.
>>
>>54836356
t. Ship of Theseus
>>
>>54836356
Would not this cause you to slowly become brain dead and the new brain to slowly become less retarded?
>>
>>54835992
That will never happen.
>>
>>54836366
Yes, but with the same crew manning the ship
>>
>>54836262
>it would basically be a clone
When you sleep and wake up, does the same thing happen?
>>
>>54836356
This is getting into stuff that I don't understand, but I would figure if your brain is able to integrate perfectly with this piece of hardware it may be possible. I get the feeling that you would still end up dying though.
>>
File: 1446695637450.jpg (219 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
1446695637450.jpg
219 KB, 1224x1445
>>54836397
What?
>>
>>54836429
Comas too
and being legally dead then coming back but not like jesus sortof like disney movies
>>
You would die.
>>
>>54836535
In none of these situations does your brain actually die. People don't come back to life, sometimes they are revived, but after about 4 mins of no oxygen they get permanent brain damage, and death quickly after. How do comas and sleep have anything to do with this? Brain activity does not cease in any way in these situations, nor is the brain not receiving oxygen, or any other necessary resources.
>>
I had this same thought months ago.
Let say your neurons get slowly replaced by nanomachines that perfectly emulates them, until you're not left with a single bio-neuron.

I've concluded that basically, if at any point a neuron gets replaced, you as yourself get replaced by another, if and only if you consider your are a different person if your neuron are arranged in a different way from another person. If you consider the previous statement false, then you can say that everyone in the world is a part of you, you just don't share their memories.

Also, it's not even an unrealistic thought: if replacing neurons with nanomachine cause you to "die", same occurs with regular neurons: when you take a hit in the head, some neurons dies, when you grow up, some neurons are created.

You've effectively died thousands of time in your life.

That's why I think a human being shouldn't be defined by its constitution but by the observable behavior he exhibits.
>>
You would literally die like everyone else has stated. The (You) in that organic brain would be removed and trashed. Because that brain is (You), you'd cease to exist.

This isn't about souls or chakra or all that othey gay shit, the electrical and cellular connections in your brain contain (You).
>>
When neurons die, your brain just repurposes other good ones. So the brain isn't gping through constant deaths. I can't rhink of an analogy to explain it, but the way you are thinking about it is philisophical and just plain stupid. I was hoping this would turn into a nice conversation but there have been like 3 people in this thread that understand.
>>
It would be intriguing if we could somehow not replace neurons but rather have an external blob tethered onto the connections, though when it starts sending electric signals back things might get unpredictable and I guess we do not understand the brain enough
>>
>>54835992
you watched kurzgesagt
>>
>>54836382
>implying we're not constantly changing the crew
>>
>>54835992
the delete windows 32 prank would become a lot more dangerous.
>>
>>54838670
>implying someone would install Windows on a computer meant to replace their brain
>>
>>54838038
The important thing is to not interrupt consciousness in the process.
>>
>>54837135
What?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.