[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going off to college, I want a laptop. I will be paying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: mars.jpg (90 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
mars.jpg
90 KB, 1024x1024
I'm going off to college, I want a laptop. I will be paying for it, so I'd like to keep it reasonable, but I also make a decent wage so I'm flexible.
>>
Dully noted
>>
x220
>>
>>54825636
k. keep us posted.
>>
>>54825645
>Dully

Millennials, everyone
>>
>>54826169
They added an extra 'L'. XoD
>>
>>54825636
Get a Lenovo Thinkpad p50 or p70 if you need a Xeon a dedicated workstation gpu and 64 gb's of Ram for work.
Or a Lenovo Ideapad y700 or wait for the y900 if you want a general pourpose computer with decent specs.

I'm not shilling for lenovo but specwise these are the best for the money you spend and I have tried most of these machines.
>>
>>54826106
This or T420

Makes a flawless Hackintosh or gentoo machine
>>
>>54825636
Ideapad 100s
>>
>>54825636
Don't fall for the Thinkpad meme, they are slow as fuck
>>
>>54826761
Not slow on my machine (T420)
>>
>>54826761
They aren't slow if you aren't a 13 year old trying to play your shitty gaymes
>>
>>54826761
>>>/v/
>>
>>54825636
Ideapad 100S for taking to classes is a good idea. the 11.6 incher. they're like less than 200 bucks new. I picked one up.
- 8 to 12hr battery life depending on what you're doing with it
- Atom Z3735F isn't all too bad for a 2W TDP quad-core
- Screen is decent
- 32GB of eMMC space, but whatever
- Wangblows 10, they run Linux good enough if you desire, I guess
- keyboard isn't the best, has some bowing to it and the trackpad has tap to click on permanently but otherwise decent

it's literally the college student's note-taker PC that can do some very light games. UT99 runs awesome, at least.

if you want something a bit more burly, a T4x0 that isn't a 400 or 410 will run you fine. anything Sandy Bridge or higher will do you perfectly.

if you need power, a used Precision M6600 or M6700 will probably be what you'd want. decent CPU and GPU for whatever.

past that, get whatever works for you. good luck.
>>
x220
>>
>>54825636
That depends entirely on what you plan to use yours for. I just got a cheap ASUS laptop because I was just programming, but if you're doing anything like video rendering you'll need something much beefier.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.