[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What certifications does /g/ have? just finished highschool and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: CertMaster_lg.jpg (15 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
CertMaster_lg.jpg
15 KB, 620x350
What certifications does /g/ have?
just finished highschool and I am starting to work on my A+ and N+
>>
>>54824246
congrats on finishing high school man

good luck
>>
>>54824265
Thanks,
I am worried that I am heading in the wrong direction, on what I want to do. I might want to get into AppDev, and not just be at a help desk all day.
>>
>>54824265
Where should I branch off to after my A+ and N+ cert?
>>
>trying hard as fuck to study for A+ since there's only 31 days left to do 801/802

Already had invested money into 801/802 studies so 901/902 not preferred at the moment, if I fail then oh well I'm out $200~$400

I'm getting 80s so far on just 801 practice tests, Professor Messer is a godsend, haven't studied for 802 so much yet I just want to take 801 within the next 7 days, 802 maybe on the 15th or 20th

Also fuck printers, fuck IEEE 1394, and fuck laptop expansion
>>
>>54824368
hey you'll do fine, you only need to get 75% correct on 801, roughly the same for 802
good luck!
>>
>>54824246
>CompTIA certs
#1 way for me to spot a retard when skimming through resumes.
>>
>>54824441
Tell me more, Anon. I'm going for the RHCE cert and will be taking the exam soon. I'm not even sure why I'm going for it, and I have a feeling most sane employers or HRs just won't give much of a shit about it.
>>
File: make-computer-faster.jpg (25 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
make-computer-faster.jpg
25 KB, 650x366
>>54824481
bump

Also, is there any way to somehow get into a remote desktop type of job? Unfortunately I had to make a move down to the country side of Bumfuck, Nowhere but on the plus side little to no traffic and I'm like 30 mins away from a metropolitan city.

I've already submitted my resumé to monster and indeed, but fuck all no one is responding and no one is sending out anything. The UPS technician job I was recently contacted by said I needed a Bachelor's/Associates and to me that was some bullshit since my resumé clearly states that I'm not old enough/gathered enough credits to come close to an associates. (I am definitely at CC with good grades, and are about to transfer (maybe earlier!) to a state school in 2 years.)

I'm about to say phuck it famiglia and just buy some Raspberry pi's and build a goddamned portfolio, I'm already learning some python (through Codecademy and Sololearn because mobile life...) at this point.

The worst part is I used to live right next to an Amazon Data Centre and it would've been a real nice foot in the door if I was still living there and getting AWS knowledge (for cereal that's getting huge rn!)

For reference I already know the basics of Redhat, fully configured Arch/Gentoo to working order, SSL\remote-desktop, have my A+ - been studying for my Sec+ and Net+, and will most likely look into Redhat certs. Though it seems to me it's a little more beneficial to go for some cloud certs no?

pic related: cuz life has buttfucked me
>>
>>54824246
BS information systems, 6 years experience, working as sysadmin, no certs.

Thinking of getting MCSA server 2012 & LPIC maybe.
>>
>>54824481
Comptia certs are basically a replacement for 6 months of experience and that is it. Lowest level of certs you can get, anyone who gets one is qualified to work for geeksquad.
>>
>>54824741
>remote desktop type job

What do you mean by this? This is an amalgamation of terms, telling me you have no experience of any kind.
>>
>>54824246

I've worked for an MSP for close to 3 years now, clients range from small mom & pop shops with only 5 users to enterprise level business with 100+ servers. We only really look at the A+/N+ certs for our interns or low-level administrators, we really value the Microsoft certs like MCSA or MCSE, but not so much for the information they provide but because if the company has a certain number of certified employees M$ gives us a break for purchasing licenses or support should we need it.

This is mainly for IT support, I personally don't deal in application development at all. Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>54824246
CCNA R+S, Sec+, CCNA security
>>
>>54824778
>LPIC
You should get a RHCSA/RHCE instead. They're fairly comparable and Red Hat carries valuable brand recognition for HR and management
>>
>>54824741
>I've already submitted my resumé to monster and indeed

Have you seen other people's resumes on those sites? There are already shit tons of them. Chances are no one will read yours. You should skip the middle man and apply to companies directly.
>>
>>54824246
I have no college degree and I'm currently working for a small business that does network engineering and support for several other small businesses. What certs should I be getting now to get a job as a sysadmin at $50k+/yr with a few years experience in this job?
>>
>>54824805
shit nigga, geeksquad?
I'll finally get a job then
>>
B.Sc, Engineering
>>
how much is a ccna r&s test? how long does it take to learn it enough to pass it
>>
>>54825366
I appreciate that anon, I guess the middle man is more of a sql directory/guide for them to access me more-so than to do it based on qualifications.

>>54824839
Fair enough, I don't have "Corporate/industry" type experience which is exactly why I want a foot in the door so I have better knowledge of what's what. But the main point that I'm trying to get across is the remote work type of deal, i.e. WeWorkRemotely, Toptal, etc.

but I get what you mean with the amalgamation of terms thing, as it definitely shows to someone who has a better technical termage of the tools and like you did, will shoot me down in a millisecond.
>>
>>54824805
Pshhhh, Geeksquad said I was overqualified with my A+, (plus they said to me that they don't provide any sort of assistance for any certs, so that's fishy) I would personally be okay with working in with Geeksquad but that definitely shows that I'd be more of a salesman than anything else.
>>
>>54825370
personally in my experience, get your college degree it's a fucking minimum nowadays.
>>
File: ants-v-indians.jpg (135 KB, 768x866) Image search: [Google]
ants-v-indians.jpg
135 KB, 768x866
>>54827210
It's way to expensive for you Pajeet and probably way too hard for you. Try sitting for your ESL certs first.
>>
>>54827705
thats literally all you are, aside from reformating installing windows, anything elsr they send it somewhere else
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.