[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Realistically how much colder could I expect my MSI 980ti to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: msi980ti.jpg (255 KB, 1082x926) Image search: [Google]
msi980ti.jpg
255 KB, 1082x926
Realistically how much colder could I expect my MSI 980ti to get if I replace the stock thermal paste?
>>
>>54820558
Depends on how much you spread on the PCB, I'd go for a peanut butter consistency under the heatsink
>>
killyourself retard
>>
>>54820580
>>54820614
Thanks for the valuable input.
>>
>>54820625
fuck you nvidia fanboy
>>
10c for real f a m you can do it it's like putting together legos, gaming is the best hobby and most artistic, just do it
>>
File: sponnign fug.gif (47 KB, 250x194) Image search: [Google]
sponnign fug.gif
47 KB, 250x194
>>54820558
>how much colder could I expect my MSI 980ti to get if I replace the stock thermal paste?
how much colder could I expect my MSI 980ti to get if I replace the stock thermal paste?
It would get so cool that it installs gentoo
>>
Not worth the possibility of you damaging it. Maybe 5C less 10C at most.
>>
>>54820842
The possibility of 10C drop is actually pretty tempting tbqh
>>
>>54820842
>>54820857

more like 3C max
nvidishit
>>
>>54820857
It's possible to get a 10C drop the same way it's possible a unicorn well pop into existence near you and start fucking you up the butt.

Fixing your cable management or adding+rearranging case fans would do more without any risk.
>>
>>54820901
Cable management isn't an issue t. Carbide 540

Fan placement is already as ideal as it's going to get. Only thing i'm doing with that is cleaning the filters and blowing out dust.

Considering just getting an NZXT AiO bracket and just watercooling my gpu tho
>>
>>54820946
How hot is it even getting to warrant doing anything?

also, have you made a custom fan profile? By default modern GPU fans favor less noise over better heat dissipation.
>>
File: Screenshot_25.png (8 KB, 357x382) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_25.png
8 KB, 357x382
>>54820977
Idles at around ~60C with 0% fan speed

This is the custom fan profile that I've been using, though it may not be ideal.
>>
File: 2qia1z4.png (6 KB, 356x379) Image search: [Google]
2qia1z4.png
6 KB, 356x379
>>54821038
Don't let the fan speed be 0%. Never let it fall below 30% or so even at idle. You can't really hear the fans till around 40%-45%.

Make it sort of like pic related.
>>
>>54821079
Thanks senpai.
>>
>>54820875
this right here
>>
>>54821079
why is letting the fan speed falling to 0% not good?
>>
>>54822122
Well, it's not about good or bad. It's about the trade off. The reason they keep the fans off at idle is to make the card silent for most of the time it's being used which has recently really been marketed a lot. Now, 60C isn't going to harm the card at all (insignificantly lower lifetime), but if you're like op and you want the card to not idle at that high of a temp then it's in your best interest to turn the fans up during idle. The difference in noise between 0% and 30% is usually basically imperceptible especially if you're wearing headphones like I am 95% of the time. So the trade off between the noise made by the fans at 30% power is worth it to have the card down to probably <40C. If the sound bothers you more than the temperature then nothing is wrong with leaving it at 0% (as long as you card can actually keep itself fairly cool passively).

My card for instance idles at 29C with the fans at 30%, and I can't hear it at all up to 45%. With my ambient temp being around 18C.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.