[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: 1457299275656.jpg (289 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1457299275656.jpg
289 KB, 1280x853
Previously on: >>54801295

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org/
>>
https://www.stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg
>>
File: 1463620891483.jpg (44 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
1463620891483.jpg
44 KB, 620x400
How to tune the trackpoint sensibility and speed for a thinkpad x201 running arch?
>>
>>54819066
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_the_TrackPoint

>Adjusting the speed and sensitivity of the TrackPoint requires echoing a value between 0 and 255 into the appropriate file. For example, for a speed of 120 and a sensitivity of 250, type the following into a terminal:

# echo -n 120 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/speed
# echo -n 250 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/sensitivity

>Alternatively, on my ThinkPad T420s, the correct commands are:

# echo -n 120 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/speed
# echo -n 250 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/sensitivity
>>
>>54819157
I have trouble to keep the values when I restart my computer.
I cannot put these two commands in my autostart as they require root priviliege
>>
I just installed gentoo XDDDDDD, but I know nothing about ricing. What are some ways to make this OS look more pleasant to look at? Preferably something simple, I don't like having a ton of features I won't use.
>>
>>54819177

Put it in a bash script and create a systemd service file to run it on every boot.
>>
>>54819318
install gentoo
>>
>>54819320
I guess that's a fix.
I'd rather change the default values in /etc/ or /sys/ or something but in the end, a fix's a fix. thank
>>
>>54819320
>>54819177

Or use an udev rule.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/37824/what-is-the-best-way-to-configure-a-thinkpads-trackpoint
>>
>>54819352
already did. now i want to rice it.
>>
>>54819376
I guess that's cleaner. thanks
>>
Is there a free as in freedom; hosting service?
>>
>>54819442

Do you know what free as in freedom; means?
>>
>>54819465
One that follows the 4 freedoms. And does infringe on my rights to software
>>
>>54819442
Owncloud
>>
>>54819352
Do I look like a fool?
Why should I do that?
>>
I have a question about debian in particular and why does it provide the option of installing over the internet? what are the benefits of doing that? also, how would the network card work with no OS installed?
>>
Stupid question, how do I exectute startx
>>
>>54819521
It's too hard, dude.
Just install Gentoo.
>>
>>54819529
You type startx and hit enter.
>>
>>54819543
I've been doing doing this and getting: command not found
>>
>>54819557
Try xinit instead.
>>
Is icecat any good? If not are there any good alternatives?
>>
>>54819571
same thing oniifam
>>
>>54819529

You install xorg-xinit.
>>
>>54819603
Icecat is breddy good since it comes with sane privacy settings. libreJS can be annoying, but it's turned off with one click.
>>
>>54819521
this way your system is up to date right when you are done installing it and you can choose a lot of different things during the installation (DEs and other metapackages) without the iso being 4gb+.
since drivers are in the kernel or loaded as a kernel module they can be kept on the usb drive or later RAM. If you need nonfree drivers use the nonfree netinstall iso.
>>
>>54819603
Icecat is stable and has great defaults. You need to disable librejs for 4chan and need to use mpv through open with for videos to work better (they already work but can be slow). I would use it if i was not on ff aurora and if it was in the debian repo.
>>
File: 15.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
anyone have a list of things i can try to speed up ubuntu? i'm just trying this out for the first time and everything freezes like every 30 seconds. already set GFX to latest version proprietary driver and that helped some (i think?) but googling around isn't helping much for what else can be the problem.

specs
>15.6GiB
>Intel Core i3-4340 CPU @ 3.60GHZx4
>GeForce GT 640/PCIe/SSE2
>64-bit
>101.2GB
the main drive is 128 gig and i have a 64 backup both ssd.

it's kinda frustrating cuz everything is so much smoother on windows 7.
>>
>>54819697
Than's senpai
>>
>>54819700
>>54819910
Thanks. I will give it a try.
>>
I don't know where else to ask this so I'll ask here.
I enjoy using GNU+Linux, like a lot. I think that it's a great OS, but at the same time, I don't like that the UI is disjointed as fuck across applications and that sometimes, simple desktop ricing can lead to fuckery. Maybe I'm stupid and I should stick to what the distro ships with.
In any case, my question is this- what would I lose by switching over to OS X? I know that I can retain all Unix functionality, but do I lose anything else? I simply want something that jest twerks and looks pretty.
I'll be using any OS for media consumption, light image editing, and C/Java programming.

Before you /g/entoomen get your knickers in a tit, I'll be Hackintoshing a ThinkPad. I'd rather subject myself to a life in the S&M dungeon than buy Apple hardware.
>>
>>54819700
Not the anon you replied to but I have been using icecat and quite enjoying it. However, and call me names or whatever, I can't figure out how to update the fucker since it isnt in the repos. Any tips?
>>
>>54819918
sounds very weird, have you installed things outside of your package manager? what exactly is slow? Are you using unity? Is this 16.04?
>>
>>54819918
Don't use Ubuntu, seriously. it's a heap of junk
>>
>>54820304
What kinds of DEs and themes were you using that you had inconsistency? fedora+gnome+arc is more consistent than anything else i know.
>>
>>54820349
Add a repo that has it or install new versions yourself.
>>
>>54820402
Ubuntu+Mate+Arc (Interface)+Numix (Borders)
Don't get me wrong, it's the actual programs that feel disjoint, not the windows.

Also tried XFCE with Arc and Numix.
>>
>>54820421
I didn't know any repos had it, no mention on the GNU page
>>
Whats a good tool to monitor my system temps? I dont think my gpu is taking the summer too well
>>
>>54820526
lm_sensors
>>
File: nis-setup.jpg (296 KB, 1173x665) Image search: [Google]
nis-setup.jpg
296 KB, 1173x665
so im setting up NIS
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NIS

this part
192.168.1.10 nis_server.domain.com nis_server

do i leave as is and update just ip or do i change the to something like this

my.ip.0.0 mydomain.domain.com mydomain
>>
Getting this error when issusing:
ufw enable
This is a fresh install and i have not touched any config files
ERROR: problem running ufw-init
iptables-restore: line 4 failed
iptables-restore: line 77 failed
iptables-restore: line 30 failed

Problem running '/etc/ufw/before.rules'
Problem running '/etc/ufw/after.rules'
>>
>>54820495
you use old software that is maintained so that old people can still feel comfy, not sonething thatbis made to be consistent. There are two DE that actually try, it's GNOME and KDE. ideally you have a theme for both. try gnone 3.20 and the newest kde before switching to an OS with outdated bash and restrictions everywhere. And using different themes at the same time is a horrible idea.
>>
Is there a way to change the address bars colors within chromium?
I've tried various themes, and stylish themes, but i cant seem to be able to change it.
>>
>>54820669
>ufw enable
What did you do before this?
>>
>>54820376
yeah i tried installing the .run from nvidia website even though the version was lower than the one in ubuntu already. (304.131 from the website, 361.42 on ubuntu already). and it messed up the boot up so i just reinstalled ubuntu. filezilla. steam.
everything is slow, opening programs. clicking around tabs in firefox. this is 16.04, yeah, i'm not sure about unity though i'm pretty new.

>>54820399
yeah i'm not a programmer by profession just trying to learn as a hobby so i went to one of those "which linux should i install?" websites and decided on ubuntu (i think mainly because it was supposed to be for noobs like me). the pc is only a few years old. see specs >>54819918
so thinking i'd have hardware issues with any OS was the last thing on my mind.
you can't downgrade linux distros, right? if i went lighter i'd have to format and reinstall?

thanks guys.
>>
>>54820697
ufw default deny
ufw allow 192.168.1.0/24
Then i attempted to start it
>>
>>54820723
Don't know then, you're trying to enable with sudo or as user?
>>
>>54820744
with sudo
>>
>>54820701
Reinstall fully (also delete .config files) and start again but this time don't try to use GNU/Linux like you use windows.
Install a reasonable DE like gnome or xfce, install the proprietary drivers with your package manager, read the debian administrators handbook because why not, use aptitude (and only aptitude) from the start and come back when you have new questions. This is the easiest way. Remember that this is not windows, it works entirely different even if some people think it is. Good luck.
>>
>>54820758
Are the rules files actually in that location? I know they changed recently from being somewhere in /usr/ to /etc/
>>
>>54818873
I've been running Tahrpup for a few weeks now, and I would like for it to boot up asking for a password, add a root password, and have it not automatically boot with a boot login. How do I go about changing this?
>>
>>54820786
Yes,they are both in /etc/ufw/.
There are no other ufw rules listed any where else on the file system
>>
>>54820793
does this help?
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Security

also why are you running puppy? I have it on an old SD card because I can't think of anything else to do with it but I'd only use it as a daily system in an emergency
>>
>>54820880
Thx. As for why I'm running Puppy linux, a few weeks ago I thought it would be a good time to change my OS, for I was running Backbox and was having some trouble with applications running and just wanted to move to a new OS. I wanted something that could run on 2gb of ram, Arch linux wasn't booting up with a USB, so I picked puppy.
>>
>>54821014
have you tried Lubuntu? It boots on 256 MB and has way more features
>>
>>54821053
If I can boot it with a USB, I'll take a look
>>
>>54820778
ok thanks. gotta look up what all these things are.

you guys are awesome. i'll be back. rock on.
>>
>>54821094
You could probably also learn a bit about the terminology if you have to look up these things.
These could help:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9zyomJ_GfA
have fun
>>
When I run
host myip.opendns.com resolver1.opendns.com
I get:
Using domain server:
Name: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 000.00.000.000#00
Aliases:

aliases is blank and instructions tell me to set my ip to use aliases as public ip

also address ip does not have the one i got with google during setup.
which format somethign like this
thank you
-noob o/
>>
>>54820840
>>54820669

Which distribution are you on? I don't know what you did to fuck it up that badly. It works for me fine on Arch (on two computers) and a computer running Ubuntu.

>installed ufw
>enabled it (ufw enable as superuser)
>added my rules (which is basically just one to allow local traffic)
>enabled the systemd service

Voila, everything worked as expected.
>>
>>54818873
>using proprietary humidifiers
>>
Where can I find some decent themes for Unity? I know there's quite a few ones out there.
>>
>>54821341
It would help to know exactly what you are trying to do,instead of making us try to understand your incoherent babbling
>>
>>54821567
http://www.noobslab.com/p/themes-icons.html
>>
>>54821580
I am in the midst of installing nis.
i am following instructions
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NIS

this part at top
192.168.1.10 nis_server.domain.com nis_server

requires my public ip. so i ran hostname ip... and got

Address: 000.00.000.00#00
Aliases:
aliases is blank and from hostname instructions that is my public ip...

i also just wend on the net and googled myip and got something completely different.

so as far as setting up my ip in the instructions, do i use:
hostname Address
hostname Alias
google myip
>>
Does somebody know how much it would cost a video game editor to port an AAA game to linux ?
>>
>>54822375
Ask the guy that did https://www.youtube.com/#/watch?list=PLckFgM6dUP2hc4iy-IdKFtqR9TeZWMPjm&v=Sd8ie5R4CVE
>>
>>54822375
in UE4 it would cost ticking a checkbox.
>>
>>54822066
further i have run command for aliases from here:
ip addr add 192.168.2.101/24 dev eth0:1

still a no show on aliases: also read eth0 replaced with emp1s0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consistent_Network_Device_Naming

which nothing worked till iset to enp0s3 from remember the install. and yet still no show on aliases. anyone got idea, greatly appreciated.
>>
>>54822488
The best idea i have right now is to tell you to learn english before proceeding. This would benefit you the most and help us understand your question.
>>
>>54822534
yeah im thinking you have no clue, and are more for degrading people than helping. but thank you.
>>
>>54822647
i really think this would help you. i don't even want to be mean. You just didn't formulate a question.
How do i degrade people?
Good luck on your networking ideas.
>>
Guys, I got this problem with debian jessie network install. A month or so ago it was working perfectly, but now it's giving me a bad archive mirror error for any mirror I select. What's going on.
>>
>>54822787
what exactly are you doing?
>>
>>54822787
I got this error when I was using daily or weekly images, whetever they have. Problem gone when I've downloaded their 'official' net-install image.
>>
File: IMG_20160527_035809.jpg (40 KB, 800x555) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160527_035809.jpg
40 KB, 800x555
I'm a newbie to Linux. I tried the other night to dual-booth Xubuntu onto a 60GB partition alongside OS X. I left it on to install and went outside. After two hours, it had not installed. There is no percentage or advancement meter to tell how far it's gone. I cancelled the installation. Is it normal for it to take that long to install?
>>
>>54823039
Not normal, maybe if the hdd is slow.
what did you use to take that picture?
>>
>>54823039
no, not normal. I don't know about the *buntu installers but most others that I've used have a progress bar.
Is your image pic related, is that what you left alone for two hours? It clearly requires you to make a selection and press a button..
>>
How does one easily edit a gtk3 theme.I found one i like but holy shit it has leet haxor green shit every where. Just need to change it from green.I tried to do it but i couldent find it out of the 10 places settings are at
Help please?
>>
>>54823085
Took the picture with an Xperia M smartphone. Took it in the dark.

>>54823094
Following the options leads to that window, and then choosing the partition. The cursor turns into a spinning ball. I presume it's installing, and wait for it to finish, but nothing. I've tried installing it five seperate times now with no luck.
>>
>>54823176

You edit the CSS files. You will also have to edit the resources like checkboxes.
>>
>>54823185
You need to continue from there.
>>
>haven't use KDE for 6 years or so, remember it as resource-greedy & laggy desktop environment
>oh well, let's give it a try again and see the famous "superior SUSE KDE" on tumbleweed
>everything is snappy, highly responsive, looking great out of the box without any adjustments, fuckton of various possible tweaks and settings
God damn it. I feel bad for ignoring it for all this years. This is actually freakin' fantastic in comparison to what GNOME shell has become.
>>
>>54823239
>fuckton of various possible tweaks and settings
As does any distro.
>>
>>54823317
He is talking about the DE.
>>54823239
I honestly like gnome better but KDE is fucking awesome too.
>>
>>54823239
>>54823382
>never experiancing the glorious *box race
>>
>>54820590
>>54821341
>>54821580
>>54822066
>>54822488
>>54822534
>>54822647
>>54822708

it was tor blocking why i couldn't see my ip even in terminal

also on top of it i thought i was to use an alias ip, so rechecked docs and seen that opendns was suppose to return ip and it was not. thinking possible they cant see my ip... ah tor. so by disabling tor it gives me the ip that i got when i first googled myip with tor disabled.

dint know ip request such a pain in the ass. thought the system would give me that but guess not if it dont know it lol... well least have public ip to carry on this nis stuff. again for those following enjoy o/
>>
how do I install archey?
>>
>>54823549
ffs dont do man.
>>
~ cat "$(which vpn-whitelist-domain)"
#!/usr/bin/env python
import sys

from plumbum.cli.application import Application, Flag
from plumbum.cmd import dig, ip, sudo

def get_default_gateway():
for line in ip('route').splitlines():
# Return first default gateway found that isn't a virtual VPN device
if line.startswith('default via') and not 'dev tun' in line:
return line.split('default via')[1].split(None, 1)[0]

class VpnWhitelistDomain(Application):
remove = Flag(['-r', '--remove'])

def main(self, domain):
default_gateway = get_default_gateway()
if not default_gateway:
print('Error: Could not determine default gateway:' % (ip('route')), file=sys.stderr)
print(ip('route'), file=sys.stderr)
return 1

for address in dig(domain, '+short').splitlines():
if self.remove:
sudo(ip['route', 'del', address, 'via', default_gateway], retcode=None)
print('Removed', address, 'from whitelist')
else:
sudo(ip['route', 'del', address, 'via', default_gateway], retcode=None)
sudo(ip['route', 'add', address, 'via', default_gateway, 'proto', 'static'])
print('Added', address, 'to whitelist')

if __name__ == '__main__':
VpnWhitelistDomain.run()

Allows me to quickly set up a way to bypass my configured VPN on Arch Linux (mostly to shitpsot on 4chan, like right now).
>>
>>54823604
Also don't listen to this retard.
>>
>>54823185
the cursor turning into a spinning ball is not the sign that it's installing. Sounds like something is crashing in the background. Could your hard drive have an error?
As I said, I'm sure *buntu has a progress bar when installing, like every other distro out there
>>
File: ypbind.png (91 KB, 752x393) Image search: [Google]
ypbind.png
91 KB, 752x393
>>54823530
so finally having ypbind service running , i think.
the screen shots shows its active but then i see errors for domain binding and finally says "started yp" at the end

does this mean it finally was able to bind the domain?

-still noobing
>>
Where should I mount my storage drives? /media/something?
>>
any linux-essentials picture?
>>
>>54823868
no yptest still shows
can't yp_bind: Reason: Domain not bound
>>
Will I have a bad time with Fedora if I want to use proprietary NVidia drivers?
>>
>>54824044
You will have a bad time with Fedora even without wanting to do that.
>>
>>54824044
http://negativo17.org/nvidia-driver/

If you want something that's click, wait, reboot ubuntu (and derivatives) are your only options.

and >>54824103 is a meme spewing /v/edditor and probably a bumrustled debianfag as well
>>
>>54824196
> having to use some random repo for the nvidia driver because Fedora's packaging is absolutely shit and doesn't even follow their own guidelines
> call me something unintelligible for stating the truth

Also it's Arch :^).
>>
i want to install gentoo but it says
>Minimal Installation CD 2016-05-26 256 MiB
>Hybrid ISO (LiveDVD)

wat do?
>>
>>54824044
>Will I have a bad time with Fedora if I want to use proprietary NVidia drivers?

no, the proprietary nvidia drivers are in rpmfusion so you don't even have to compile or maintain anything yourself

>>54824196
>http://negativo17.org/nvidia-driver/

there's no reason for this unless rpmfusion doesn't work or you like the default config more
>>
>>54824225
>Fedora's packaging is absolutely shit
>and doesn't even follow their own guidelines
Contrary to what, "do whatever you like" packaging guidelines on Arch and every other shit distro out there?
Nvidia proprietary drivers are proprietary therefore forbidden item and cannot be shipped with Fedora.
So they do follow their own guidelines.

>Also it's Arch
Hey, at least I got the butthurt part okay.

>:^)
The mark of a /v/edditor
>>
Gonna install trisquel mini on a shitty netbook with an intel atom and 1 gig ram. Well it's only shitty because it's running WINDOWS 7 with that goddamn config. What can I expect? any better options for really, really lightweight?
>>
I want to use Qt
What distro should i use

Basically just to program on linux but right now i want to port something to Linux on Qt
>>
>>54824301
>Contrary to what, "do whatever you like" packaging guidelines on Arch and every other shit distro out there?

Stopped reading there, because you are clearly misinformed and can't be trusted:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_packaging_standards

Nice try though.
>>
>>54824336
>trisquel mini
Before you do it, check whether your hardware is supported by free drivers. Especially the wlan chip
>>
>>54824386
well, the way I want to use it I can live with RJ45 only. But thanks, I will check it out. It's a samsung netbook and samsung kinda suck.
>>
>>54824380
ok kid

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines?rd=Packaging/Guidelines
>>
>>54824421
It having guidelines doesn't mean they are being followed.
>>
>>54824234
One is a minimal installation cd
and the other is a hybrid ISO LiveDVD
>>
>>54824417
You always have puppy linux (it works okay) and dsl if you have really underpowered hardware.

http://puppylinux.org
>>
>>54824432
So you just trashed your previous argument.

ok
>>
>>54824464
Nope, I just claimed that Fedora's packaging for the nvidia drivers is absolute shit or, as you explained, non-existent (which is even more hilarious).

Do I add a snobby faggy-sounding "ok" now too?

ok
>>
>>54824448
Thank you! I will try all three of them. As I see it, there are live USB options for all of them. Very cool. DSL seems a damn tad too small for a linux though.
>>
>>54824477
ok kid
>>
File: 1427222127584.png (355 KB, 402x390) Image search: [Google]
1427222127584.png
355 KB, 402x390
>>54824509
Godly comeback

pickle
>>
>>54824521
ok kid
>>
>>54824448
Oh god the windows installation has Norton and Avira on it. I want to bludgeon someone over the head right now. Need to save some data and even that is a PITA. Maybe I should save the data from the live boot. And to think someone has actually worked with this thing for 5 years or more.... makes me shudder
>>
File: .png (49 KB, 840x662) Image search: [Google]
.png
49 KB, 840x662
>no thumbnails or even the preview in the file picker
Can someone help a nigga out?
>>
>>54824747
> Filepicker pasta (GTK2 only!):

Tippers:
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/jkisielewicz/gtk2-filepicker-iconview/

Amazuntu:
https://launchpad.net/~helkaluin/+archive/ubuntu/gtk2-filechooser-iconview

Arsch Linux:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/

Absolute Madmen aka "but i run something else"
https://gist.github.com/ahodesuka/01213036b58e510dc074
https://gist.github.com/ahodesuka/49c1d0eea4b64f24c4c7
>>
>>54824747
gtk2 file picker patch or use kde-dialog
>>
both qbitorrent and deluge, are not following the speed restrictions i'm setting.
Using both UPNP and manual port forewarding
What do?
>>
How can I run scripts in user PATH (~/bin) with sudo? I'd rather not call sudo within the script since it seems to be frowned on but I'm not sure if it can be avoided.
>>
>>54825034
sudo /path/to/script

or add your user path to root's $PATH
no?
>>
>>54825059
Well the whole point of it being in ~/bin is that I want to run it anywhere quickly without polluting root $PATH.
But if it has to be one or the other then I'll just leave sudo calls inside it.
>>
>>54825080
>Well the whole point of it being in ~/bin is that I want to run it anywhere quickly without polluting root $PATH.
Lmao just put it in /usr/local/bin
>>
>>54825102
No thanks
>>
>>54825116
That is literally where it is ment to go.
>>
>>54824782
>>54824827
add-apt-repository don't work
wot now
>>
File: 1413063101402.png (1 MB, 912x905) Image search: [Google]
1413063101402.png
1 MB, 912x905
>>54825145
>APT
>>
So i've gotten a hash mismatch error on my debian machine. i use the redirector service.

I know that http.debian.net is legit (as a homepage) but isn't http://httpredir.debian.org the proper thing i should be requesting? here is the entry /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-updates main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

#Jessie-Backports
deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-backports main
>>
ok on the nis stuff still at the top.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NIS#.2Fvar.2Fyp.2Fsecurenets

i have my public ip now.

so now when i edit host as instructions say at top

do i leave it in this format in my hosts file
00.00.00.00 nis_server.domain.com nis_server

or do i set it as this format in my hosts file
00.00.00.00 mydomain.domain.com mydomain

or can i just do
00.00.00.00 mydomain.com

im not sure how i can make this question as clear as possible, i do hope someone can help?
>>
>>54825196
/etc/hosts
192.168.1.10   nis_server.domain.com   nis_server
>>
>>54825157
here is a You

>>54825145
last i checked, that was for an older version of buntu.

i can live with the noiconslel, so didn't bother applying the fix another way on my ubuntu partition.
>>
>>54825231
tyvm
>>
>>54824336
I've got a similar setup with debian netinst and only i3, runs well. Recommend spending the few bucks and upgrading to 2GB RAM, and if you can afford it an SSD
>>
File: iur.jpg (95 KB, 1280x840) Image search: [Google]
iur.jpg
95 KB, 1280x840
what is the best way of backing up an archive without having to compress the whole thing over when i add to it?

the way i have it set up is 7z archive that is gpg encrypted, but surely there is a better way to set this thing up.
>>
>>54825810
>backup to compressed archive
don't
>>
>>54825810
Use the store compression option
>>
>>54818940
That is a catchy song.
>>
>>54824374
whatever the distribution, qt creator will be available.
>>
>>54818940
found my next ringtone.
>>
thought that parrot was a bong desu
>>
>my trackpad works better on linux than on windows
who would've thought

I thought my trackpad was shit
>>
File: crazy.gif (500 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
crazy.gif
500 KB, 500x374
>>54825196
ok not sure if i did it right, but system says

arch has been set up as a NIS master server.
Now you can run ypinit -s arch-vb on all slave server.

but if i run yptest i get this
Test 2: ypbind
can't yp_bind: Reason: Domain not bound

and when i run status ypbind the system says.
May 30 18:16:57 arch-vb sh[353]: can't yp_bind: Reason: Domain not bound
May 30 18:16:58 arch-vb systemd[1]: Started YP Bind.

am i good to go with client side now, or did i really mess something up and still need to correct the domain bound problem?
>>
>>54826766
>can't yp_bind: Reason: Domain not bound
>>
I don't fucking understand samba. I installed it and libpam-smbpass, set up 2 shares for 2 directories. Restart the processed (smbd, nmbd, samba-ad-dc), log back in my account for the sync script to make me an account so I can log in.

First time I tried to access the directories from Windoze it asked me for credentials. I screwed with it for maybe 2-3 hours so far and I can't fucking authenticate. Worst part is I set it to guests ok, then removed it and now Windoze just accesses the directories without asking for credentials even though I set guests ok to false and restarted the services multiple times. What the fuck am I supposed to do to log in to this piece of shit and get my files?
>>
>>54826812
Oh yeah, I can also access my ~ from it for some reason but still read only. I never explicitly told it to share my home so I don't know why the fuck it's doing that.
>>
>>54826787
ffs just shoot me noob ass and be done with it and ty mate \o/
>>
A few days ago I posted a problem that I have with Openbox with nm-applet which didn't let me to reconnect to my wifi network after I disconnected from it, well I look for the problem on google and so far I haven't found any solution, I also tried wicd and also nothing.

then I killed the nm-applet process and started it again to see if that fixes the problem and I got this message:

(nm-applet:30937): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed

the only thing i can do to fix this, is to reboot the system but that's obviously annoying

So i hope some of you guys can help me with this please.
>>
File: 17.jpg (76 KB, 600x699) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
76 KB, 600x699
>>54821302
awesome thanks. i got a list going for all the things i need to lookup and watch. thanks bro.
>>
Any insight on this error? All I'm finding is mods and users fighting on bugtrackers about bug format.
Raid card is a 9650SE-16ML
There are two raid arrays. One RAID-5 array with 4 disks, and one RAID-6 array with 5 disk, with 1 disk as a hot spare. Each array has an XFS filesystem.
3w-9xxx: scsi0: ERROR: (0x03:0x0101): Invalid command opcode:opcode=0xA1.
>>
File: 1458600190263.jpg (90 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1458600190263.jpg
90 KB, 600x800
My Linux Mint system just up and stopped booting, leaving me at BusyBox.

Is there a good reason for this to happen? I don't think I did any shennanigans on it.
>>
I need a japanese font that goes well with terminus. Any suggestion?
>>
>>54827325
I don't use terminus but I use WenQuanYi Bitmap Song. All the Japanese looks good. It's quite big but setting URxvt.lineSpace: 1 displays it no problem.
>>
I use linux (OpenSuse) since 2 years and i really like the tree system's.
>>
>>54827508

Stupid question but how do I install it?
>>
>>54827825
It depends on your package manager but in my repo it's called wqy-bitmapfont it's probably under a different name in others.
>>
I've just installed KDE and I really like it so far but I've just noticed that I have screen tearing. I have a card that doesn't support setting tear free in xorg conf, I've always used compton before. What should I change in KDE to get rid of tearing?
>>
>>54827915

Yeah, I found it. Thanks!
>>
>>54818873
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqgPyqyh4X4
>>
>>54825116
Don't be an idiot. /bin/ is for system binarys; use /usr/local/bin for stuff you installed additionally.
Guess we have a lack of file structure understanding, someone post the infographic.
>>
File: 1464626868677.png (344 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1464626868677.png
344 KB, 1280x800
>>54828262
>>
>>54825810
That's some creepy linus, dude.
>>
>>54828278
This needs to be updated to reflect the major changes years ago.
/bin is a symlink to /usr/bin
/sbin is a symlink to /usr/bin
/lib is a symlink to /usr/lib
>>
>>54828321
That's not actually part of the FHS, just something some distros decided to do.
>>
>>54828278
saved
>>
File: 1461131203361.png (284 KB, 1527x859) Image search: [Google]
1461131203361.png
284 KB, 1527x859
Straight outta reddit.
>>
>>54828417
>>54828278
>>54828262
everything you need to know here
> http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html
>>
Does Mint Debian Edition carry the same kind of problems that normal Mint does? Is it better to the Ubuntu version? Would there even be a noticeable difference as far as general experience with it?
>>
>>54828278
where's the mount point for non-removable non-temporarily-mounted filesystems?
>>
>>54828378
Any FHS compilent distros, use this structure. The syslinks are left for legacy support
>>
File: 1453985244324.jpg (22 KB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
1453985244324.jpg
22 KB, 350x250
>>54828417
>solarized
I just threw up a little. Why is this crap so popular?
>>
>>54828417
replaced
>>
>>54828436
dunno about bugs and shit but the biggest disadvantage, to me at leas about lmde is that it doesn't support ppas. which isn't really a huge deal when it comes to installing shit that's not available in the repos, but it's something of an issue with keeping things up to date
>>
>>54828431

bookmarked
>>
>>54828485
What? Any FHS compliant distros use the FHS. No shit

I'm talking about the symlinks. Not every distro uses them. For example, Ubuntu still doesn't as of 16.04 and Ubuntu is by far the most widespread distro so you can't claim this as some sort of majority decision.
>>
File: 1450421261760.png (292 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450421261760.png
292 KB, 1920x1080
>>54828417
>1527x859
>>
>>54818873
Free Unix!

Starting this Thanksgiving I am going to write a complete Unix-compatible software system called GNU (for Gnu's Not Unix), and give it away free to everyone who can use it. Contributions of time, money, programs and equipment are greatly needed. To begin with, GNU will be a kernel plus all the utilities needed to write and run C programs: editor, shell, C compiler, linker, assembler, and a few other things. After this we will add a text formatter, a YACC, an Empire game, a spreadsheet, and hundreds of other things. We hope to supply, eventually, everything useful that normally comes with a Unix system, and anything else useful, including on-line and hardcopy documentation. GNU will be able to run Unix programs, but will not be identical to Unix. We will make all improvements that are convenient, based on our experience with other operating systems. In particular, we plan to have longer filenames, file version numbers, a crashproof file system, filename completion perhaps, terminal-independent display support, and eventually a Lisp-based window system through which several Lisp programs and ordinary Unix programs can share a screen. Both C and Lisp will be available as system programming languages. We will have network software based on MIT's chaosnet protocol, far superior to UUCP. We may also have something compatible with UUCP.

Who Am I?

I am Richard Stallman, inventor of the original much-imitated EMACS editor, now at the Artificial Intelligence Lab at MIT. I have worked extensively on compilers, editors, debuggers, command interpreters, the Incompatible Timesharing System and the Lisp Machine operating system. I pioneered terminal-independent display support in ITS. In addition I have implemented one crashproof file system and two window systems for Lisp machines.
>>
>>54828589
Why I Must Write GNU

I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I must share it with other people who like it. I cannot in good conscience sign a nondisclosure agreement or a software license agreement.

So that I can continue to use computers without violating my principles, I have decided to put together a sufficient body of free software so that I will be able to get along without any software that is not free.

How You Can Contribute

I am asking computer manufacturers for donations of machines and money. I'm asking individuals for donations of programs and work. One computer manufacturer has already offered to provide a machine. But we could use more. One consequence you can expect if you donate machines is that GNU will run on them at an early date. The machine had better be able to operate in a residential area, and not require sophisticated cooling or power. Individual programmers can contribute by writing a compatible duplicate of some Unix utility and giving it to me. For most projects, such part-time distributed work would be very hard to coordinate; the independently-written parts would not work together. But for the particular task of replacing Unix, this problem is absent. Most interface specifications are fixed by Unix compatibility. If each contribution works with the rest of Unix, it will probably work with the rest of GNU.

If I get donations of money, I may be able to hire a few people full or part time. The salary won't be high, but I'm looking for people for whom knowing they are helping humanity is as important as money. I view this as a way of enabling dedicated people to devote their full energies to working on GNU by sparing them the need to make a living in another way.

For more information, contact me.

Arpanet mail:
[email protected]

Usenet:
...!mit-eddie!RMS@OZ
...!mit-vax!RMS@OZ

US Snail:
Richard Stallman
166 Prospect St
Cambridge, MA 02139
>>
>>54828589
I don't give a fuck who you are or where you live. You can count on me to be there to bring your fucking life to a hellish end. I'll put you in so much fucking pain that it'll make Jesus being nailed to a cross in the desert look like a fucking back massage on a tropical island. I don't give a fuck how many reps you have or how tough you are IRL, how well you can fight, or how many fucking guns you own to protect yourself. I'll fucking show up at your house when you aren't home. I'll turn all the lights on in your house, leave all the water running, open your fridge door and not close it, and turn your gas stove burners on and let them waste gas. You're going to start stressing the fuck out, your blood pressure will triple, and you'll have a fucking heart attack. You'll go to the hospital for a heart operation, and the last thing you'll see when you're being put under in the operating room is me hovering above you, dressed like a doctor. When you wake up after being operated on, wondering what ticking time bomb is in your chest waiting to go off. You'll recover fully from your heart surgery. And when you walk out the front door of the hospital to go home I'll run you over with my fucking car out of no where and kill you. I just want you to know how easily I could fucking destroy your pathetic excuse of a life, but how I'd rather go to a great fucking length to make sure your last remaining days are spent in a living, breathing fucking hell. It's too late to save yourself, but don't bother committing suicide either... I'll fucking resuscitate you and kill you again myself you bitch-faced faggot. Welcome to hell, population: you.
>>
man 7 hier
>>
>>54828608
>donations
>donations
>donations
Who would have guessed it
>>
File: 1445937642291.jpg (231 KB, 620x446) Image search: [Google]
1445937642291.jpg
231 KB, 620x446
>>54828612
>>
>>54828615
based (what does the 7 mean?)
>>
>>54828589
Dear Mr. Stallman, I do appreciate your great work and contribution to society and the GNU. I am currently working on my own linux system following the advice of that anon ^.

I am curious though why is their no standards or defaults installed upon installation. I had to find an editor. I had to download tor and configure. I to build iptables as well as install a light dm and a pamac for graphic interpretation. I am a noob and am completely at a loss of what the hell to do. Currently working on the NIS and for 2-3 days have accomplished nothing but piss this board off.

Again, in your next update you could please make int noob friendly.

ty sir o/
-noob
>>
>>54828705
man man
>>
is there a problem in having the repositories of a previous/posterior version added on ubuntu?

I suppose there's backwards compatibility, yes?
>>
>>54828830
there can be a confilct if your package management is set to prefer the latest version available to it
>>
Do people go though the entire configuration of a kernel? There's like 8000 options. I was going though the ncurses config but after half a hour of reading the summaries and disabling unimportant things I gave up and starting compiling.
>>
>>54829116
Yes. The biggest change for a desktop user, would be using the ck patchset,BFS and BFQ.
>>
>>54828846
thanks for the response.

anything aside from that? or that alone could lead to a clusterfuck/dependency hell
>>
Anyone care to share their tint2 config? cause im retarded as fuck
>>
I have no idea what to use Linux for nor do I know what the appeal is, but I managed to do my first successful installation of Ubuntu tonight.

Using it right now. It's pretty nice, I guess. That's all I can really say.
>>
File: not-bad.jpg (56 KB, 558x500) Image search: [Google]
not-bad.jpg
56 KB, 558x500
>>54818940
>mfw looping it for the third time.
>>
>>54829328
there's nothing really special about it, just different, so if you're satisfied with windows/osx then there's little point to it unless you just wanna dick around with it to see what it can do
>>
Is there any way I can have the hot corners and/or window overview of gnome in another DE?

It's literally the only feature I miss when I'm using something else.
>>
Why do firefox bookmarks appear in the kde start menu? How can I stop that?
>>
Why does mpv not have the osc on ubuntu?
>>
Ok now how do i install gentoo?
I'm not baiting
>>
>>54829943
You follow the detailed instructions on their wiki.
>>
>>54829943
>I'm not baiting
So you're just Google-disabled, huh?
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Installation
>>
File: flag.png (34 KB, 824x144) Image search: [Google]
flag.png
34 KB, 824x144
Do you guys like Vulnhub?
>>
File: 1442246018368.jpg (607 KB, 872x5056) Image search: [Google]
1442246018368.jpg
607 KB, 872x5056
>>54829943
>>
>>54829798
--profile=pseudo-gui
>>
>>54829328
I don't know about unity but a few of the DEs have functionalities you probably didn't know before. Test some stuff out and have fun.
>>
>>54828628
He could have done without donations but then we would have something more similar to templeOS.
>>
>>54830555
How is this related to his question.
>>
File: openbsd.png (80 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
openbsd.png
80 KB, 2560x1600
>>54818873
What is sponewm? Pic related
>>
>>54830679
Not him but that flag enables the osc. Maybe buntu uses a different default configuration.
>>
>>54830814
That flag enables the pseudo-gui.
The correct flag is --osc=yes
>>
>>54829116
There are a bunch of predifined configs you can use as a base. use find for *_defconfig files ... well looking now there is only one for x86_64, I am used to using them for arm. Anyway if you are building a kernel for your current box you can grab you current config and use that as a base. copy it from /boot/ or /proc/ to .config and run make oldconfig, then it will just ask you questions about new options, and you can you tell it to always choose the default option too.
>>
>>54829798
check that it is compiled with lua support, by eg: ldd `which mpv` | grep lua
>>
Running fedora 23 on a T420. Volume buttons work on gnome but not on any other desktop environment. How can I change the volume on other DEs, more specifically i3?
>>
>>54829943
Because of you I am now installing Gentoo.
>>
So I was looking at Linux since on average, Linux versions of games were outperforming Windows games (at least the ones I played), and it got me thinking. If we had every game for every operating system, which one would hypothetically have the best performance? I'm thinking it would be BSD or something or other, since I've heard that BSD can get better performance out of Linux binaries than Linux can.
>>
how do you guys customize your desktops to look to dank/cozy, im on virtualbox just to test it out and i have no idea what to do, ive been a win xp/7 fag my whole life
>>
>>54828447
you can mount anything anywhere, put it where it makes sense
>>
I search for some good rhythmbox alternatives. any recommend?
>>
Perl or shell scripting?
>>
File: 1391547551209.jpg (89 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1391547551209.jpg
89 KB, 640x427
Are there any good lazy-person's distros that:
- aren't based on Debian or Ubuntu
- have largehuge repos
- use KDE as the default DE

I think Chakra might meet the criteria, but I have a feeling their repos are probably tiny and their site doesn't offer any easy way of looking through them.
>>
How is slackware like? I wanna switch because I'm attracted to its overall simplicity (coming from arch). Anyone here uses it?
>>
File: shiba-the-meme.jpg (69 KB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
shiba-the-meme.jpg
69 KB, 2000x1200
>>54831795
knoppix
> is not based on deb or ubu
> have largehuge repos
> ship with KDE

good luck!
>>
>>54831795
>>54831829
oh, my mistake. knoppix is based on debian. forget it.
>>
>>54831795
Manjaro

It just werks
>>
>>54831600
>ive been a win xp/7 fag my whole life
It's never to late to level up.

Customizing on GNU/Linux is nothing but editing text files. No dll hacking, no fuckery.
>>
File: 1442097991632.jpg (141 KB, 1024x694) Image search: [Google]
1442097991632.jpg
141 KB, 1024x694
What's the best text editor for Linux'?
>>
>>54832696
ed
>>
>>54832696
ed
>>
How can I tell KDE to fucking keep my panels on my primary (ìnternal, laptop) screen, and not have them jump onto my external display, whenever I plug it in?

I sometimes even forgets to move them back to interal, when I unplug the external monitor. Shits really annoying. Especially since the side panel also changes its size, when I move it back manually, meaning I not only have to move it, but also resize it.
>>
How does RMS program? What's his style, tabs or spaces, double space after sentence? Line breaks?
I NEED TO KNOW
>>
>>54832944
well it's not like you can just look at his source code and see for yourself, the man values his intellectual property.. oh wait.
ls
is partially written by RMS for example
>>
>>54832944
Everything rms has ever programmed is open source you kike
>>
>>54832984
>posting rms and open source in one sentence
>>>/out/
>>
File: images.duckduckgo_com.png (80 KB, 537x534) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo_com.png
80 KB, 537x534
I have two hard drives. I have installed Debian on the master one. Now I want to install Windows 7 on the other disk. However, when I try to do it using the Win7 installation disk it gives me the error "Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300001."

How do I install Windows now in a way so that I can dual boot?
>>
>>54833080
I bet it's because windows wants to write it's loader in the mbr of your first hard drive. MS usually assumes they're home alone and can do what they want.
>>
I had Arch in a vm for playing around with it. Chose the top 5 package mirrors for my country when I installed it.
After not using the vm for two weeks or so suddenly ALL of the mirrors are 404'd.

I guess that's what they mean with "Arch breaks sometimes".
Or maybe I'm just unlucky
>>
>>54833175
Just use kernel.org for your mirror, local mirrors are pretty meh. The speed difference you get from them isn't really that significant.
>>
On Xubuntu, can I replace the kernel with linux-libre without problems and if so how. Any guides, links welcome.
>>
>>54833333
>Xubuntu
>Linux-Libre

WASTED
A
S
T
E
D
>>
>>54833333
>Dem quints
There's a launchpad ppa you can add to get it. But why? If you're going 'libre' why not just use a distro tailor made for it?
>>
Converted my aunt to Ubuntu from Winshit after she complained it had a virus

Turns out the retards WiFi card had burnt out, I guess because the retard had used it on her bed or something, so I just told her to use the Ethernet card and it was fine
>>
>>54833378
Because I riced it so much that a fresh install would make maybe too much work. Already disabled nonfree and removed stuff to please vrms, only left thing is the kernel. I'll check launchpad, thank you.
>>
>>54833424
https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/migrate-ubuntu-trisquel-without-reinstalling
>>
>>54833441

>The sample contents of those variables are intended to migrate from Ubuntu 12.04 Precise to Trisquel 6.0.
>Never attempt to run this script from a Ubuntu edition with no Trisquel counterpart! Ask in the forums if you are in doubt.
>>
Anyone ever hear of a software called "Pandora" from SGI, supposed to be for hardware stress testing and burn-in tests.
Seems like there is no trace of it other than some people mentioning it on forums.
>>
>>54833564
stress and stress-ng, look them up
stress-ng is more featured.
>>
>>54833605
stress and stress-ng are kinda useless from my experience, they dont really burn-in the ECC ram, specially when running between 128GB and 1TB of ram.
memtest86 takes too long and the DELL diagnostics is shit at finding errors so right now im trying sys_basher and wanted to try this Pandora shit but seems like no one knows what it is.
>>
>>54830884
Alsamixer
>>
>>54831715
What functionalities do you need? cmus is a starting point.
>>
>>54831795
Debian itself, Arch, Gentoo/Funtoo
>>
>>54831600
Search for gui options and text config files. Tell us the de/wm before asking. And for desktop faggotry go to /wg/
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.