[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going for my first Gentoo today. Have installed Arch and LFS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 9
File: Gblend.png (1 MB, 1873x1917) Image search: [Google]
Gblend.png
1 MB, 1873x1917
Going for my first Gentoo today. Have installed Arch and LFS in the past. Is there any reason to use the live DVD or is minimal good? I am curious about the live DVD, but have shit internet.
>>
>>54817888
>Is there any reason to use the live DVD
If you want to use firefox while installing maybe.
>but have shit internet.
A source based distro might not be the best idea in that case.
>>
>>54818026
>firefox
Thanks, I'll just use my other computer.
>shit internet
It's not that bad, I just don't want to download an extra 2.8GB if I don't need to. Maybe 2 - 3 hours of waiting.

I wouldn't have thought source based would use as much internet though... Surely the source is smaller than the compiled binary no? Or am I just confused
>>
>>54818184
Source is often larger than the binaries.

Gentoo will do a lot of downloading. A lot.

When I first installed gentoo I was on dialup. Boy that was a nightmare. I'd kick off an emerge world before going to bed.
>>
>>54818184
>Surely the source is smaller than the compiled binary no?
$ ls -d /var/db/pkg/*/* | wc -l
$ du -sh /usr/portage/distfiles | tail
16G /usr/portage/distfiles
>>
>>54818263
i want to play too

ls -d /var/db/pkg/*/* | wc -l

du -sh /usr/portage/distfiles/
18G /usr/portage/distfiles/

you don't need the tail, no?
>>
Larger than I expected. That's OK though
>>
>>54818402
You don't. I forgot to take it out after adding -s.
>>
>>54818462
using binaries for firefox and (in case you need it) libreoffice would save a lot
>>
>>54818252
Fuck I remember those days. I remember the first time I got 512kbps broadband, it was like a Buddhist rebirth.
>>
>>54818685
Thanks for the tip. I'll skip libre office for now, and the added time to install everything might prevent me from installing everything willy nilly. That was a cause of a lot of my past headaches.
>>
>>54818934
I got 1.5Mbps so it's not that dire, but not far off. I have 30 back home, but im away for the summer
>>
For my install internet speeds weren't the problem, the obscene compile times were. Once I managed to get every package I wanted working it's been great.
>>
I did "Linux From Scratch" on an old atom powered netbook with 1GB RAM, so I'm aware of ridiculous compile times. I'm assuming my desktop will be significantly faster though.
>>
>>54819256
If your desktop is half decent it'll be so much faster you'll giggle like a schoolgirl

I know that feel
I did LFS on a single core 1.6ghz Pentium D with 512mb and Gentoo on a 5930k
>>
>>54818184
live dvd has never booted on me.
Basically you partition/mount/chroot from another system, whatever system,whether it is in another section of your hard drive or in a boot stick or dvd.
You only need internet for downloading the stage3 image, which has the rootfs (/etc, /proc, /sys, /usr, /bin), all that jazz. Which amounts to about 300M and for the portage tree, which is inmense, it does take it a while to download, and it's a step you cannot skip. Oh and the kernel (in source code)
Sources for most packages are relatively small, for they're plaintext, what takes time is the compiling.
Of course the source of, say, X, is gigantic, if you choose to install X right away. Takes about 3 hours to compile
>>
>>54819751
Personally I always use the arch install image because it is more complete than the minimal Gentoo CD (file systems, uefi support, et cetera) and it's easy to find more utilities you might need/want in their repos while installing
>>
I had to use SystemRescueCD because my SSD wouldn't recognize the Gentoo live medium for some reason. It works great though. It even came with cryptsetup. Gentoo is my favorite.
>>
>tfw downloading stage3 right now
what should I expect
>>
File: 1372085859043.jpg (474 KB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
1372085859043.jpg
474 KB, 1500x1001
>>54817888
>>
>>54820356
Death by old age, and/or stress when it breaks.
>>
>>54820356
Why stage 3?
>>
>>54820463
why not
>>
>>54820478
I guess that's my question also
>>
>>54820637
well I took stage3 since that is being used in the handbook
also

>
emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world

fug, what did I do
>>
>>54817888
This will be a breeze. I came to Gentoo from Arch, and the big things for me to get used to were compile times and USE flags. You'll love it.
>>
>>54822253
>compile times
First time compiling everything from the desktop/systemd/systemd profile took me less than an hour ...
>>
>>54822377
Did you install the unity de too?
>>
Binary packages: http://gentoo.no-ip.org
>>
>>54822419
desktop/gnome/systemd
>>
>>54822452
Domainnames cost three fucking dollars ...
>>
>>54822069
What's wrong? Mine just worked fine I think
>>
>>54822377

Systemd with Gentoo? Are you fucking retarded?

That's like buying a Rolex, and specifically asking for it to be slathered in fecal matter, and slapped across your face.
>>
>>54823991
took a few hours
time to compile kernel now
>>
>install debian
Gentoo is a waste of time, a bad meme
>>
>>54824006
Good luck! I think mine went smooth
>>
Good news guys. My gentoo turns on.
>>
>>54824817
Is your sink fixed yet?
>>
>>54824881
I'm out of chroot, rebooted, created non-root user, and just picking a desktop environment
>>
>>54824940
Well not quite desktop environment, but you get the idea
>>
>>54818263
>>54818402
Aren't distfiles only the metadata for every single pacakge? The size of the source and the size of binary are dependent on a lot of factors, including optimizations and what libraries are being linked.

Nowadays Gentoo supposedly uses git deltas instead of rsync to sync the portage tree. You can pretty much avoid syncing the portage tree as often and you'll be fine. Also portage runs on one core.
>>
>>54825033
>Aren't distfiles only the metadata for every single pacakge?
You're thinking of ebuilds maybe.
>Nowadays Gentoo supposedly uses git deltas instead of rsync to sync the portage tree.
Not by default.
>>
>>54825004
Don't fuck with Xorg too hard. Install a DM like sddm or lxdm.
>>
>>54825228
Thanks. Unfortunately I just realized I no longer have network... And my resolution is messed... One thing at a time though
>>
>>54825268

ifconfig for me
>>
File: 1453123952882.jpg (49 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
1453123952882.jpg
49 KB, 510x346
>mfw reading the handbook and going through the kernel config
>>
>>54825347
Yeah, after reboot my Ethernet interface isn't showing
>>
File: emoji.gif (1001 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
emoji.gif
1001 KB, 640x480
>>54825268
if you don't have another computer your completely fucked
>>
>>54825388
You most likely have to re-compile your kernel with firmware support for your ethernet chipset.
>>
>>54825410
I got computers out the wazoo, I have fixed similar issues before so I'm not worried, is just a pain... Also I still have my boot medium, so I can always get internet through that to figure stuff out... If I didn't have another computer I mean
>>
>>54817888
Install from stage3 there's no need for the live DVD.
>>
>>54825591
seriously?
test  test 
>>
File: 1458258832177.png (1003 KB, 1276x678) Image search: [Google]
1458258832177.png
1003 KB, 1276x678
>>54825382
since I'm still fucking around with this, can I disable all this AMD stuff in the processor features, such as the AMD MCE and AMD microcode loading support?
My CPU is intel so I don't see the point in having the AMD checks included
>>
>>54825710
I was wondering the opposite... I have amd
>>
>>54825410
>>54825427
Yup kernel recompilation fixed. All is well
>>
>>54825869

Glad to hear...Welcome to system-specific custumization.....also known as Gentoo linux.

You are going to run into conflicts constantly.

Look up your device, the chipset for each adapter, and go from there.
>>
>>54825923
Yeah, my problem was I forgot I auto unmounted the boot drive after boot, so I kept compiling the kernel, but it just wouldn't take... Like 4 compilations later I clued in. D'oh
>>
>>54825710

That's the point of USE flags.

If it doesn't pertain to your specific device, you don't need it.

As far as the kernelconfig goes, I would leave out anything related to AMD.
>>
File: 1453201945865.gif (282 KB, 380x535) Image search: [Google]
1453201945865.gif
282 KB, 380x535
>>54825809
yea fuck it, I disabled it since it doesn't make sense why anything other than the CPU would need it.
good thing I remember to turn on kvm
time to compile now, might as well go sleep
>>
>>54825974
It takes like 5 minutes...
>>
>>54826276
yea I just realised it's going fast

>list the modules that need to be loaded automatically
well what a good thing that I know what all of these do, right
>>
>Gentoo
I thou that shit was a meme
>>
>>54826337
Just go with your gut
>>
File: IMG_20160530_165913.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160530_165913.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Why is my resolution is set to jumbo?
>>
>>54826411

Set your BIOS to detect Intel video by default.
>>
>>54826491
But I got amd... Thanks for the tip though
>>
>>54826491

But not now obviously.

Then you can install a driver/
>>
can you keep us updated?
>>
>>54826639
Sure, just waiting for xfce to so it's thing. but I stopped for food
>>
>>54827211
Internet is being slow so it's taking forever to download
>>
>>54827269
are you using WLAN or LAN? if WLAN, what WLAN-Stick are you using?
>>
why is grub2 so fucking shit, holy fuck I can't believe that you're able to to get literally everything working except the fucking grub, EVERY FUCKING TIME
>>
>>54827339
Lan. Realtek built into the motherboard
>>
>>54827343
pebcak
>>
>Not installing Gentoo in a VM that has raw disk access and running a comfy Ubuntu LiveCD as your install environment
>>
>>54827343
>grub2-install /dev/sda
>grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

What could go wrong?
>>
>>54827476
worked always fine for me
>>
Warning: clock skew detected. Your build may be incomplete
>>
I really want to try again. Last time I followed the gentoo handbook and got a minimal install working, but then I fucked up at the end and couldn't figure out how to install Cinnamon because my packages kept getting masked and I refused every other desktop environment because I'm retarded.

The problem is I can't imagine going through the effort of actually installing gentoo, getting shit to work, and then just playing non-foss games anyway because I won't see an appreciable performance gain on them, particularly if my choice of DE is the least of my problems.

I want to understand Gentoo and Linux in general more deeply, but there's so much to learn and I don't think I can learn and comphrehend everything I need to know.
>>
>>54831514
If you still have a working system then I suggest installing gentoo on kvm and just rsync the thing over to a formatted drive via livecd. Just make sure that kvm is properly configured to expose all your cpu features and that you configure your kernel correctly.
Don't use gentoolkit and initramfs for your kernel. It makes everything more complicated and slows down your boot time, they are only useful for binary only distros and people that want to encrypt their root device.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>54831894
I don't have a working gentoo system right now, but even if I did, pic related because I understood fucking nothing. I literally just did Genkernel for the one bit I did understand.

Pretty much shows exactly how much I know about Gentoo and how much I should probably be using it based on my understanding.
>>
>>54831967
Doesn't need gentoo for that, just a generic linux/windows system with qemu/kvm/vm so that you still have a working system while learning to configure that shit. I did it the same way the last time I installed gentoo. But more because I needed to work on the same machine while installing. I set up everything from xorg, locale to kde and just used something like this in a livecd to mount the img file.
mount -o offset=150994944 VirtualMachines/gentoo.img /mnt/backup

To get your offset use fdisk VirtualMachines/gentoo.img and multiply the sector count, in my case 512, with the start sector of the root partition 294912.
Then rsync it over to a fresh formatted drive with.
rsync -avxHAWX --numeric-ids /mnt/backup/ /mnt/gentoo/

Seriously, write that shit above down and don't try installing gentoo on your real machine, use qemu for that to tinker with it a few weeks before commiting. It's not that frustrating that way when you fuck up or the system pushes unstable shit to stable at a bad time.
This will work with a VM on windows too just make sure that the virtual drive you create is a raw file and not something compressed.

I'm off to work now, have a nice day.
>>
>>54827476
it breaks the windows bootloader and it also for some stupid reason doesn't work unless you remount the /boot before installing
>>
>>54833077
Remove noauto from fstab and you don't need to mount boot manually. It only overwrites the mbr from windows, not the bootloader itself. It even puts an option for windows at boot for you. The only thing this can brake windows is with windows updates, I have seen that sometimes windows updates just fails because it wants the original windwos mbr to be present, for whatever fucking reason.
>>
>>54833077
Or did you forget to install os-prober? It's especially stated by portage that it needs this for OS detection to work.
>>
>>54833123
>It even puts an option for windows at boot for you
it does not

>>54833160
no I didn't and I figured that's the problem, but it is still not mentioned anywhere in the handbook
>>
>>54833169
After emerging grub it spits this information out at your terminal, you must always look at that when you install new software because it will mention optional software to provide more functionality, like with grub. It will sometimes even tell you important thigns you need to do manually to get something to work.

It's also mentioned in the grub2 wiki from gentoo.
>>
>>54833210
>pits this information out at your terminal
guess I missed that, shouldn't be doing this half-asleep at 3am next time
>>
>>54833268
Oh well, I can understand skipping all that shit because more often than not, it will spit out information that is just not interesting or doesn't fit my use case and that list can get kinda big.
As a rule of thumb, every program that your os needs to boot and function has a wiki section that you should take a look at since it goes into more important details on how to get shit working.
>>
>>54833301
yep, just fixed it and now installing some network tools just in case.
Also, do you happen to know if I still need to install the b43-firmware if I included it in the kernel? ( Broadcom 43xx wireless support (mac80211 stack) (b43))
the worst part of this whole deal for me is always fucking with the network, not even the kernel config was this difficult

I still don't know if I properly set up my /etc/conf.d/net since I can't actually define my wireless interface at this point
>>
>>54833325
>b43-firmware
most likely. proprietary firmware is a different thing from kernel module
>>
>>54833325
>Also, do you happen to know if I still need to install the b43-firmware if I included it in the kernel? ( Broadcom 43xx wireless support (mac80211 stack) (b43))
Yes, when you compile the kernel it needs the firmware files from that package present or compiling will fail because it couldn't find the firmware. You could also build that driver as a module then you don't need to include the firmware in the kernel itself, I recommend that for wifi because the configuration is easier that way. If a kernel driver is built into the kernel then you can only give it options through the bootloader and always have to re-run grub for changes. When it is a module then you can use /etc/modprobe.d/my_wifi.conf to give that driver special options.

Did you look at the Wifi page on the gentoo wiki?
>>
I had so much hardtime installing Gentoo.
Everything went fine for the first 5 minutes and then it was all downhill from there.

I had no ethernet connection and had to learn how to configure the wifi. Fuck shit man. Suffering.

And then I had to configure the kernel. Double suffering.
Had to read several chapters of "The Linux Kernel In a Nutshell" (O'Reilly) to understand how to do it properly. I hate reading on a screen so I ordered the book, have you ever ordered a book so you could just live the /g/ meme ? The book is FREE online, had to paid for an hard copy.

Then I used VERBOSE COMPILATION on a fucking toaster, my 10years old netbook, fug fug fug. Never do this. It took something like 10 HOURS to compile the kernel, it would have been so much faster if I had told the compiler to shut the fuck up. Never fucking let the compiler talk except if an error occur, shut down everyfuckingthingelse.

And then I had a working linux station, but so much fucking shit were fucking fucked, like the keyboard, fucking fucked key binding NETBOOK AZERTY KEYBOARD SHIT DOUBLE NIGGER HITLER. So I got ride of Gentoo installed the latest version of Ubuntu, everything was working properly but it was sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow as fuck, so I just copied some configuration files from Memebuntu.
Reinstalled Gentoo, fed Gentoo by custom kernel configuration and unbuntu configuration file. And then everything was fine.

I have my cumstom kernel compiled for my 10years old toaster, everything is compiled from source with maxium optimization. I have all the drivers I need, life is good, I drank the meme and now each day of my life I'm using the meme on a ARM, low memory, low processor toaster so I can save 2€ on the energy bill everymonth.

It only took me 3 months. Praise RMS. Praise /g/.
>>
>>54833419
>Then I used VERBOSE COMPILATION on a fucking toaster, my 10years old netbook, fug fug fug. Never do this. It took something like 10 HOURS to compile the kernel, it would have been so much faster if I had told the compiler to shut the fuck up. Never fucking let the compiler talk except if an error occur, shut down everyfuckingthingelse.
You could just change the terminal to F2 or something else blank and you machine will not slow down with the output.
>>
>>54833419
Oh yeah forgot to talk about GRUB and shit and why no one ever old me about initramfs before and shit and how I used LILO instead of GRUB then installed GRUB on LILO but fucked up and had to use another GRUB from a USB key to properly boot my main machine and edit my configuration file with a fucking NETBOOK DISFUNCTIONAL BADLY CONFIGURATED AZERTY DOUBLE NIGGER SHIT KEYBOARD that added special character in front of any character I typed, HITLER PLS. I HAD TO LEARN GRUB COMMANDS ! I just wanted the meme ! Why do I had to LEARN fucking GRUB shit.

And genkernel, genkernel is shit, you're better off stealing the liveCD kernel instead of using that incredible piece of shit made by obese neckbeard niggers.

I also tried to install systemd to be cool like the other kids instead of OpenRC but fucking nigger shit my processor is single core why the fuck would I use systemd to begin with.

Praise RMS.
>>
>>54833434
REEEEEEEEEEEEE why no one ever give the useful info when you need them !
>>
>still no wifi even though there are 2 network cards in
I give up, it's been fun
>>
>>54833538
Have you configured wpa_supplicant properly ? Well do you even need to use wpa_supplicant ? What Wifi identification scheme do you use ?
Are the cards detected by the system ? Or are you in the no-drivers, fucke up state ?
>>
>>54833594
it doesn't detect the cards, at all
one is broadcom b43 and another is tp-link adapter which ALWAYS gets detected automatically, everywhere I've tried so far.
this is probably going to take atleast another 2 hours to get to work, so I'm giving up for now since I have no time.
The only system I might've come to like doesn't like me back since the start
>>
>>54827343
Grub2 is an OS used to load another OS. This is madness.
>>
File: installgentoo.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
installgentoo.gif
3 MB, 640x360
>>54825869
>Anonymous
W E
D I D
I T
!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>54833629
Well... That's it man.
>>
>>54833520
You wanna see useful info that's literally never mention in the handbook or wikis?
Here:
FEATURES="${FEATURES} buildpkg candy parallel-fetch parallel-install"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--backtrack=50 --jobs=2 --load-average=15 --keep-going"

Put this into /etc/portage/make.conf, now it can do this:
Build compressed packages to /usr/portage/binpkg in case your gcc get's fucked up and you can just extract dat working shit over the broken or use this as a source for another PC so that it doesn't need to compile shit.
Have a nice busy indicator instead of default terminal cursor.
Fetch the sources as soon as it can without waiting on others.
Install multiple packages at the same time without waiting.
Try harder to resolve blockers for you without just giving up so fast.
Compile two or more packages at the same time. The output now defaults to hiding the gcc output.
Stop compiling multiple packages when the load is too high.
Continue compiling shit even when many packages fail so that you don't waste your time.

Modify jobs and load average to your pc.
I still don't understand why there isn't a place in the handbook installation with those as recommended settings or why they aren't flat out default.

>>54833629
Try working with networkmanager, most things are just too complicated doing manually. I never had a problem with my atheros cards that way.
>>
>>54833655
Copy pasted somewhere.
Just in case...
>>
Hmmm I think I broke something between my kernel config, xorg and radeon drivers... But I don't know what. Startx just won't detect any screens
>>
>>54835862
I want to delete everything and start again, but I also want to figure out what went wrong.
>>
>>54835862
Try Xorg -config or such. No, you don't delete everything, there is no point. You fix the problem.
>>
>>54833655
>Try working with networkmanager, most things are just too complicated doing manually. I never had a problem with my atheros cards that way.
I recommend connman, smaller and more verbose than networkmanager (at least it was for a long while, haven't tried NM recently).
>>
>>54836261
Well the point would be I might have enabled and disabled the kernel in a massive way, so restarting would let me try again from the defaults. Unless I can revert to the default kernel config somehow, but I don't know how....

And thanks for the Xorg-config tip, will try
>>
>>54836351
You can chroot and just use "genkernel" to get a kernel with default configs.

> And thanks for the Xorg-config tip, will try
It's Xorg -configure, sorry. But Xorg is the command and -configure the argument.

Just tries to run the Xorg autoconfiguration in the shell, you can then see what went wrong in the shell or the log /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>
>>54836400
The log says modesetting isn't supported, which is why I think I broke my kernel.
>>
>>54836451
In the past getting modesetting ability needed x11-drivers/xf86-video-modesetting but you are installing xorg-server 1.17 or later, right...?
>>
>>54836451
Hey, here is my kernel config that I enabled on the default configuration to make my evergreen card work:
 cat /usr/src/linux-4.6.0-gentoo/.config | grep RADEON
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
# CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_USERPTR is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
cat /usr/src/linux-4.6.0-gentoo/.config | grep EXTRA_FIRMWARE
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/CYPRESS_me.bin radeon/CYPRESS_pfp.bin radeon/CYPRESS_rlc.bin radeon/CYPRESS_smc.bin radeon/CYPRESS_uvd.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

Works like a charm everytime. Take a look at the gentoo radeon wiki to get the name of your card. I guess it works similar to radeonsi or amdgpu.
>>
>>54836521
Yeah, also I have a radeon HD 7870 if that gives you any clues
>>
>>54836521
It still needs xf86-video-ati or amdpgu to work nowadays.
>>
>>54836528
Thanks, I'll compare notes. From memory it looks the same (except mines Pitcairn) but I'll go over it
>>
>>54836544
Depends entirely on whether you are using xf86-video-ati or the binary drivers.

>>54836558
Yea, you still need video drivers?
>>
>>54836565
If your kernel didn't throw an error when you compiled it then your valuas are probably right, otherwise it would error out because it couldn't find them.
>>
>>54836587
It wouldn't just compile properly Despite missing components? e.g. the wrong graphics card?
>>
>>54836565
No it will just error when you make a typo and it can't find the firmware files. You can also include every firmware to make sure, doesn't hurt nothing.
>>
>>54836634
Hmmm interesting, thanks
>>
>>54836657
Or just build it as a module, you only need to include the firmware if you want to have proper resolution early in the boot process. So just putting
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
without the firmware should be enough.
>>
>>54836683
I think I need to do some reading, I don't really understand what a kernel module is...
>>
>>54836683
And given the choice, I want the resolution early in the boot process ;) besides, as it stands this is an educational install. If I like it, I'll make it my main.
>>
>>54836657
btw you can search in makeconfig with / for example "DRM_RADEON" and press the corresponding number to get to this option.

>>54836699
>I don't really understand what a kernel module is

They are basically drivers that get loaded by the system AFTER it started by your init system (openrc or systemd etc). Meaning they get placed as files somewhere in /. Built in drivers, marked as*, are built into the kernel file itself, ergo they are available as soon as the kernel is read from boot so it can start the system. You don't need a gpu to start linux that's why it can be just a module, just like sound cards. Always build filesystems as * otherwise nothing will boot.

>>54836734
Seriously, the most trouble is getting it installed in the first place. using it and updating it is a peace of cake.
>>
>>54836828
Thanks, searching will be super helpful.

That makes sense about the modules,

This isn't my first time with complicated Linux installs, so I know the drill. I just need to fumble my way through, and learn on the way making it that much easier next time :)
>>
>>54837229
You're welcome. I was bored and have seen this thread having so little shitposting that it was quite surprising.

I am personally only interested in gentoo because I can use it as my own distro in my company. Shit's awesome having full control on what features go where and just point every machine to my testing rig to get updates.
Have fun with tinkering.
>>
SEND HELP how do i install it
Is there a stupid guide or something?
>>
>>54839027
https://gentoo.org/get-started/
>>
>>54819256
How long did it take? I have a similar machine I am considering attempting it on
>>
>>54839098
Well compile times where pretty quick for the most part. Most of the time I spent reading docs/ trying to figure out stuff... So I'm still not done, but i bet it could be done in an hour or two assuming you do everything right the first time and don't fuck it up (depending on what you call "done" anyways)
>>
>>54839626
... And a much faster internet than mine
>>
>>54836528
Thanks for the help, display drivers fixed
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.