[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Took apart my reference 570 today to change the thermal paste
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: GTX570-5w.jpg (111 KB, 733x300) Image search: [Google]
GTX570-5w.jpg
111 KB, 733x300
Took apart my reference 570 today to change the thermal paste and I noticed how shitty the cooling really is.

>room for a slightly larger fan
>plenty more room for a larger heatsink
>no heatpipes, only a copper plate
>heatsink could be a little taller and still not touch the shroud
>fan could be moved back a bit to allow for an even bigger heatsink (almost half a centimeter)

These could make a big difference to how well the GPU is cooled, which I think matters since reference cards have such a bad reputation.
>>
It's almost as if they have since improved the reference cooler design
>>
>>54815860
Have they?

What's improved about it? I was under the impression they were just better because they weren't cooling housefires anymore.
>>
>>54815881
They are better but the fan profiles are shit, for some reason Nvidia prefers the cards to hit the temperature target and start trotting down that ramping up the fans even though they can perfectly cool the card, every reference card since Kepler is like this, with Maxwell Nvidia did the same and now Pascal is doing it too.
>>
>>54815832
Are you sure it's just a copper plate? Might be heatplate?
>>
>>54815970
What's the difference between them?

>>54815945
These blowers can get very loud. Nvidia would prefer you be more comfortable with your quiet pc and have your card die in 2 years instead of a loud pc that'l last longer, because there's a chance you'll upgrade to nvidia again.
>>
>>54816028
A heatplate is like a heatpipe, it's very good at transporting heat from its one side to the other and not the other way around at the same time. Copper plate is just copper, heats up everywhere.
>>
>>54816053
Also known as a flat heat pipe (heat spreader)
>>
>>54815832
>plenty more room for a larger heatsink
Didn't the 570 have a nice-ass vapor chamber?
>>
>>54816086
That is a vapor chamber with a heat spreader, I don't know what OP is about.
>>
>>54816092
OP here, they could have made the heatsink longer still and there was room for a bigger fan.

I think if they'd fixed both those it would have cooled much better. Could fit between 1cm and 2cm longer, and ~2mm taller, also fan could be almost 1cm wider. Quieter, better airflow, better cooling.

Am I wrong?
>>
>>54816158
That's not a heatsink, that's a vapor chamber.
>>
>>54816174
There was an aluminum heatsink with fins for the air to flow through, on top of a ~1mm thick copper base. I have no idea if it's a vapor chamber, but I'm pretty sure making it bigger and increasing airflowvwould benefit the GPU temps nicely.
>>
>>54816208
They are probably using the same cooling for other cards too, so its cheaper to just make them all the same.
>>
>>54816239
You're right, it's all about maximum profit on a "good enough" product.
>>
>>54816303
Sadly
>>
>>54816303
But you could always get a after market one
>>
>>54816359
It's too late for me anon. I got this last week for cheap because it had visual artifacts.

Going to use it for SLI.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.