[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Use password manager or remember multiple passwords in your head ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: shield.png (7 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
shield.png
7 KB, 512x512
Use password manager or remember multiple passwords in your head ?
>>
I have a simple heuristic for generating passwords that relies on a phrase I can remember easily, which generates a complex password that's not a concatenation of words.

As an example, if my phrase were
>My password for Facebook is this one I made in 2016.
and my algorithm was to take the first and last characters of each word + all punctuation, then my password for Facebook would be
>MypdfrFkistsoeImein26.

My algorithm could be every other letter, the median character (that's harder, tried it for a bit but gave it up), or every first letter shifted over one (also a little harder than simply grabbing letters, but doable), or my phrase could be whatever I want. As long as the name of the service/site is in the phrase, every password is somewhat unique.

The only way someone would be able to suss out the *logic* behind the password is if they got the plaintext version of the password and spent some time trying to reason about it (it's not really something that lends itself to a program churning through leaked passwords).

This gives me roughly the amount of security as a password manager, with none of the idiotic danger of using a password manager like LastPass, or the frustration of such an arbitrary password (e.g. all of them) that I'd *need* a mobile app or something similar to use passwords on other machines.

I would be willing to consider a password manager if it did more than just keep all my passwords stored in a place for some tech security blunder to expose all of them. Like if there was a feature that would go to all of the accounts I had stored and rotated them/changed them all automatically (or on a prompt, like after a site's passwords have been leaked), that would be a killer feature for me. But nobody's willing to implement that, as far as I can tell.
>>
im traditional
>>
>>54809901
Pen/Paper, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Pen plus Paper.
>>
>>54809999
Cool story bro, exactly 0 people read it and found it useful
>>
>>54811893
Oh I think you're projecting some need for validation. I don't particularly care if you found it useful. the OP asked a question and I answered it.

If he (or you?) didn't want to know how people store their passwords, then don't make (or read) these threads.
>>
>>54811924
Op asked for a simple answer, not for an essay.
>>
>>54811964
you think that's an essay? are you illiterate?
>>
>>54811964
I gave a brief answer, an example, and speculated on what it would take to switch; you could bail out at pretty much any point that you lost interest.

What use was the OP hoping to get from simple answers anyway?
>>
>>54809999

That's an interesting way to store pass.

I'm a simple guy , I don't use password managers , I make a simple phrase sub letters with numbers and symbols and im done.
>>
Multiple passes of varying strength, easier to remember them
>>
I use a password manager.
>>
>>54809999
>answering questions no one asked
you should be a politician

>>54811893
this
>>
>>54809999
This is exactly what I've always done too

Algorithmic password masterrace
>>
KeePass with a single, long, rememberable passphrase that is never ever used for anything else, ever, and has capitals, special chars, etc in it.

Then have a KeePass file synced on your computer(s) and accessible on your phone through Dropbox or Google Drive.

With a Nexus 6P or 5X, just open up KeePass2Android (KP2A). KP2A will automatically and immediately sync with your KeePass file stored on your cloud storage. Then just touch your fingerprint reader. You from screen off to in your password database in a matter of seconds.
>>
>>54809999
cool quads
>>
I use a keepass 2 with my database file stored on an encrypted flash drive that i have hidden in my ass at all times
>>
>>54812473
>>answering questions no one asked
it's literally exactly what the OP asked, with more details. are you aware of what the OP's thread is asking?
>>
>>54812910
>>54813150
https://github.com/nylira/prism-break/issues/1036
>>
echo "Mypassword" | gpg -e -o website/username.gpg
gpg -d website/username.gpg | xclip

something like this I don't remember the exact because I put it in an alias somewhere
>>
>>54809901
I remember them
>>
>>54815561
I stopped giving a fuck about those inane faggots years ago. If you're on Windows how your F/LOSS software is developed is the least of your concerns.
>>
>just remember email account password
>request password resets for logins
>new random password set for each login
>>
>>54809901
I use a password manager because I have 177 completely unique and random passwords stored in there.
>>
>>54809999
Actually LastPass supports an automated method of changing passwords. You have to click to initiate it, but it does the rest itself.

However based on your desires, it sounds like you'd be better served with an offline password manager like KeePass/KeePassX.
>>
File: yoyo_think_anim_small.gif (3 KB, 50x50) Image search: [Google]
yoyo_think_anim_small.gif
3 KB, 50x50
>>54809901
Post-it notes.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.