[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
M$ & Linux = <3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 6154722.png (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
6154722.png
6 KB, 200x200
If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won.

Linus Torvalds
>>
>>54803824
no pgp = not torvalds = faggot
>>
Well, /g/ ?

Do you have anything to say about this ?
>>
By those standards Linux won when Microsoft bought Skype
>>
>>54803848
They haven't updated the Linux client since
>>
>>54803884

Yeah, intead they are doing open source software... for linux too
>>
>>54803824
thy've already started
>Office 365 for android
>>
>>54803835
Why would you think a bunch of barely tech-literate vidya gaming teenagers would have anything to say about it?
>>
Hasn’t it already happened?
>>
File: Wikimania_stallman_keynote2[1].jpg (268 KB, 1000x684) Image search: [Google]
Wikimania_stallman_keynote2[1].jpg
268 KB, 1000x684
>>54803835
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54807115
/thread
>>
>>54803824
Microsoft made a version of Unix back in the 1980s. Google it, it's interesting.
>>
>>54808484
I installed it in a VM a few months ago then realized I've got no clue what to do with it
>>
>>54803824
>If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won.
Microsoft actually made .net and their languages open source and specifically have a cross-platform compiler for linux and unix called Mono

I have no doubt many applications written by microsoft have been compiled by mono and used on linux

So i guess he won?
>>
Microsoft is in the top 20 contributors to the Linux kernel.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.