[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Snapchat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: snapchat-512.png (14 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
snapchat-512.png
14 KB, 512x512
Can someone explain me why do people use Snapchat?
I've never used it and all my friends use Whatsapp for mobile messaging. However I keep hearing that Snapchat is very popular and some people are very obsessed with it.
From what I've know it allows you to send messages and images but it has no history and the data expires after some time. What the fuck is this shit. Why would anyone want to use something that clearly lack basic feature and be proud of it. I dunno, maybe I'm just retarded and I can't remember all the conversation and data people send me, but I have to browse my facebook/whatsapp/IRC logs to get phone numbers/addresses/dates/whatever people sended me more than week ago.
I know literally two people who use it and when I asked them what makes it so good that they are ready to sacrifice history, they didn't really know. One of them said that snapchat is good because you can apply effects on photos IIRC. Why would you ever forget history for mere effects on photos that can probably be done much better with any of other independent apps. The best part is that they both use some custom clients or programs or other apps that allows them to have history anyway. This sounds stupid as fuck. It's like when you want to knock a nail and need hammer, you buy hipster hammer that doesn't have a handle because it can. But then you realize hammer without handle is shit so you attach custom handle for it.
Please /g/, explain this shit to me.
>>
They use it for nudes mostly and btw, their android app is shit. If you are going to use it you'll have to use it on iOS...
>>
>>54801135
Your ex used it to send nude pictures to guys before he left you for one of them
>>
Use Casper
>>
File: 1464412702030.jpg (50 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1464412702030.jpg
50 KB, 420x420
Classic autism test. If you don't 'get' snapchat, most likely you're autistic.
>>
you can take screenshots, nerd
>>
Well I use it because it is the most prominent and sometimes the only messaging app used by people in my group
Because of that i have been forced to embrace it
It lets u make stories people can check in on that are pretty cool
You can make nice art if you have a stylus
A few useful effects that make it unique for getting certain clips
It's convenient
My only complaints are no webm support and botnet
>>
>>54801471
The other party literally gets a message you did that
>>
>>54801135
I think the no history thing is just a security ish kinda feature
That said you can tap and hold on any messages and they will be saved into your chat history
>>
>>54801492
you dont say
>>
File: Screenshot_20160529-110121.png (738 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160529-110121.png
738 KB, 1080x1920
>>54801492
See
>>54801413
>>
>>54801492
If you're on a recent version of Android - you can swipe up, press and hold on the home button to bring up Google Now on Tap, and then press the "share" button, and save the screenshot to photos.
It's a new method of screenshotting that Snapchat can't see
>>
>>54801492
Ok but so does telegram in secure chat
And telegram is the best mobile messaging app available no questions asked
>>
snapchat dev hates android, he said that before. he is only developing for android because he must. because of this android app is a burden on phone. cause strange bootloops on nexus 4 sometimes also i have a note 4 sometimes resets my phone.
>>
>>54801212
>They use it for nudes mostly
If that's the main reason then it makes sense, I guess. Girls who sends nudes are probably to retarded to understand that anything you upload to internet stays here.
>their android app is shit. If you are going to use it you'll have to use it on iOS...
No thanks. I use Whatsapp for talking with all my friends, and we all value encryption and privacy.

>>54801376
Feels good that my first and only girlfriend is 2D.

>>54801471
>>54801492
The wrappers/programs/whatever they used for history didn't even marked message as read from what they said.
>>
>>54801438
Autist here, can confirm.
>>
>>54801135
Because it's fun and convenient.

If you want history, you can send a fucking text message like we've been doing since the dawn of the camera phone. It's not for pictures that you would care enough to want to go back and look at. Honestly, even though the max time limit for a snap is 10 seconds, most people use 5-8 seconds and I often only look at them for 2. If someone is gonna take selfies of themselves 3 times a day, I would rather see them on snapchat for a combined total of 6 seconds than scroll through them on various social media.

Overall it's just a very easy way to actually see what your friends are up to on a regular basis without other social medias becoming excessively cluttered.
>>
People who use Snapchat for messaging are retarded.
>>
>>54801685
>WhatsApp
>Valuing privacy
Pick one Pajeet
>>
Snapchat is a unique way for people to socialize. The only reason you are so flabbergasted by this OP is because you literally have no friends.

Are you saying that you're too dense to see the appeal of an instant no fuss way to send photos to each other without the worry of those photos biting you in the ass later?

Are you unable to comprehend why one of the most popular apps ever is so popular? Are you legit mentally challenged?
>>
>>54801734
The fact they agreed on Whatsapp ban in brazil(which is top country in whatsapp users) and didn't provided any information to police is enough for me to trust them.
I don't live in USA, I don't care about NSA. But not everything we do and talk about is legal here, so I prefer to stay safe.
The moment devs actually provide data to any police, we will probably switch to something else.

>>54801815
>literally have no friends.
Just no normalfag ones and most of them are male. I literally don't know anyone who takes selfies and all we talk about is technology, games, programming and 4chan-tier YLYL.
>Are you saying that you're too dense to see the appeal of an instant no fuss way to send photos to each other without the worry of those photos biting you in the ass later?
But this is bullshit. You cannot prevent someone from saving images and the fact that all people I know probably use Casper only shows that it doesn't stop anyone.
>Are you unable to comprehend why one of the most popular apps ever is so popular? Are you legit mentally challenged?
Yea. I can understand how anything else got popular, but I was not able to understand how chat app that is proud of lacking features can ever get popular. It made as much sense as the handle-less hammer. Now I kinda get it though.
>>
>>54801413
i got my account blocked by it for a week, fuck casper
>>
It's both equally retarded and irritating. I use Telegram for everything mobile, and then Hangouts for video calling. I can understand discussion about encryption and other cool features, but Snapchat's primary feature is autistically "deleting" whatever you send.

You already the know the only reason guys have it is because of "teh nudez."
>>
Itt op has autism
>>
>>54801135
Nice copy pasta my friend
>>
>>54801717
Literally no one does this
>>
>>54801815
I honestly don't know but I am not american. What's this unique way to socialize? I mean, how is it different than twitter or facebook? Not to worry about consquences? Uploads are anonymized?
>>
4chan deletes threads after a while too.
>>
>>54802252
>>54804556
>Snapchat's primary feature is autistically "deleting" whatever you send.
Oh, well, I'm retarded.
>>
>>54801135
My gf made me install snapchat. I don't like it either
>>
It's not just for the nudes, it's a convenient way to share unimportant but still fun-to-watch pictures/videos without having to go through the trouble of manually downloading and deleting them. There's no clutter because everything is temporary.
>>
>>54802178
>>54801518
>>54801413
There used to be an xposed module called snapprefs. But I think the developer died or got hunted down by lawyers. Either way it was my favourite thing and it hasn't been updated pls fix
>>
>>54801135
people think they're being secret/sneaky because pictures/messages have an expiration time, but snapchat hoards all that data anyway
>>
>>54806404
Not to mention that the global symmetric private key is embedded in every single copy of the app. You data is as good as plaintext.
>>
>>54806329
Nah, the dev is just a typical XDA fag who can't handle being asked when a new version is coming, when he said "next snapchat patch" which was like 5 updates ago. He closed the thread "until he releases a new update". So he might as well be dead yeah.
>>
>>54801438
Autist here as well, can confirm
>>
Is there a better way to get snapchat pics/vids than video recording?
>>
>>54801376
My ex refused to upgrade from her shitty razr because she was such a goddamn hipster. Try again.
>>
>>54801815
>without the worry of those photos biting you in the ass later

top kek if you really believe that
>>
>>54801532
t. al baghdadi
>>
>>54801943
Snapchat is for normies like me and not for you nor your circle of friends. Get out and socialize with people and you'll see why it's so popular.
>>
>>54808352
>Get out and socialize with people and you'll see why it's so popular.
No, thanks.
>>
>>54808492
Your loss senpai
>>
>>54801532
Bad meme
Telegram is busted as shit with garbage encryption
>>
>>54801413
>use casper
>get banned
:^)
>>
It a langgy pile of shit when it comes to Android optimization
>>
>>54810449
I mean it's in that middle point
Best encryption for being a usable messaging app
Ill use irc sometimes but in terms of an app I can actually use to talk to friends that are kinda normie ish or don't care much about technolo/g/y, telegram is the best option atm.
>>
>>54804608
Snapchat is that you?!!?!?!?
>>
>>54801135

Snapchat is what I in the past used for dirty messaging now the normies want o use it for the main I do not understand.

All the imigrants near chicago want to use whats app for end to end encryption.
>>
>>54801438
This, all the people that I know that use it are well adjusted and social individuals, I post in 4chan and I don't use it so...
>>
File: 1464121256840.gif (897 KB, 800x430) Image search: [Google]
1464121256840.gif
897 KB, 800x430
>>54810831
I haven't been banned in the 6+ months I've used Casper

Also
>Caring about getting banned from Snapchat
>>
Instead of typing that poorly formed wall of text why didn't you just fucking download it and use it?

>GUYS I DONT GET THIS THING LIKE I JUST HOW WHY DOES IT WORK WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE IT
>EXPLAIN THESE THINGS TO ME WITHOUT ME ACTUALLY USING IT PLEASE

Fuck off, retard. Also >>54801438 is correct. You're a fucking aspie.
>>
>>54801815
>>54801706
>fun and convenient
>there's thousands of posts featurIng snapchat pics all around the internet
I never used snapchat but I never understood that shit about if you make a screen shot the other person gets a message I mean so what? That doesn't gonna stop them of saving and spreading your pics around the world
>>
>>54801135
I'm 37, and I use it to pick up girls in their early twenties. It fucking works
>>
>>54801135
How old are you grandpa.
>>
>>54803033
I used it to hook up.
>>
>>54811025
This so much
>>
I think millennials like snapchat because they grew up in the Facebook era where everything asks for all your info and saves your data permanently. They like the idea of a temporary, anonymous place to fuck around with their friends.
>>
I don't use it myself, but it's basically a tool to send nude photos in a way that if the receiving end screenshots them the sending end will get notified.
>>
>>54801135
I really like it because my friends and I use it as a comedy platform, ie one guy will send a picture of himself cringing with the caption ">white people", another will send something like "suicide pact, who's in?" while pointing at the camera. It's decent fun, also good to get slutty shots of girls in clubs off their stories
>>
>>54804600
Underrated
>>
>>54811052
Whats Casper?
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.