[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa ge=news_item&px=syst
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7
File: 220px-Lennart_poettering.jpg (10 KB, 220x146) Image search: [Google]
220px-Lennart_poettering.jpg
10 KB, 220x146
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-230-KillUserProcesses

>systemd

NOT EVEN ONCE
>>
>>54800233
It takes a based man to improve the GNU/linux OS. Lennart Poettering is doing more for linux in a day than all of /g/ in a year.
>>
>>54800801
sup lennart
>>
>>54800812
>I use OpenRC, and I have a problem...

There are two big problems with OpenRC: first, most if not all OpenRC systems
are completely broken (missing daemons, lingering processes, etc. are just the
tip of the iceberg); secondly, it should be called GNU/OpenRC.

For these reasons, it is impossible to support OpenRC on Linux. Problems
appearing on OpenRC systems will usually simply be ignored unless they can be
reproduced on non-OpenRC systems.
>>
>he wants to have 10 MPDs running after he relogs every time

That has happened to me and I stopped it by enabling that option months ago. You're an idiot who doesn't even know what it's used for, but jumped on the hate wagon just because you saw it's news and related to systemd.
Kill yourself.
>>
>implying user processes continuing to run after the user logs out by default is sane behavior to begin with
>>
>ssh to remote server
>forget I am sshd to server
>messing around with systems
>type systemctl emergency

Fuck you Lennart God damn it now I have to drive 4 hrs because of some retarded command I couldn't find info on easily
>>
>>54800921
>forget I am sshd to server
>type rm -rf / --no-preserve-root
fuck you lennart
>>
>>54800233
I'm afraid to say that moronix's forum is even worse than /g/.
Actually, reading at the comments in moronix makes me lose faith in humanity way more than reading comments on youtube
>>
>>54800892
>stupid desktop user thinks he knows shit
Yeah please leave this thread and let the adults talk.
>>
>>54800989
adults know how to use systemd-run.
>>
>>54800989

>edit /etc/systemd/logind.conf
>set KillUserProcesses=no
>problem solved
>no internet drama
>no clickbait articles
>no FUD
>>
>>54801026
Doesn't remove the quadrillion lines of Poettering crap from your system though.
>>
It seems like a good default for desktop machines, for servers not so much. What bugs me is that this was done to fix a bug in Gnome and now people want to put systemd-specific code in tmux, it's stupid. I hope OpenBSD tells them to fuck off.
>>
I didn't realize processes can persist long after logging out, I figured they'd get reaped at some point.
>>
>>54801042

I don't know which logical fallacy you just committed in your argument, but I'm pretty sure there was one.
>>
>>54801088
It's like a reverse appeal to authority.
>>
>>54801106
Only authority Poettering has is how to write enterprise C code.
>>
>>54801106

Nah, I meant it more along the lines of:

>complains about something
>offer a solution
>starts complaining about irrelevant, different (unsubstantial) thing
>>
>>54800973
I know right because it's hard to find info on that command too. Or oh wait no its not. Any command that immediately neuters your machine should have easy to find documentation or have a warning before it executes
>>
>>54801169
Maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring
>>
>>54801189
>execute a command without knowing what it does
f-fuck you lennart
>>
>>54801261

Any command that immediately neuters your machine should have easy to find documentation or have a warning before it executes

I posted it again because I think you're retarded
>>
>>54800921

>systemctl --help
>...
>System Commands:
>default Enter system default mode
>rescue Enter system rescue mode
>emergency Enter system emergency mode
>...

>emergency.target
>A special target unit that starts an emergency shell on the main console. This unit is supposed to be used with the kernel command line option systemd.unit= and has otherwise little use.

http://www.dsm.fordham.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi.pl?topic=systemd.special&ampsect=7

You're the idiot here who decided to start typing random things he doesn't know what it's actually doing.
>>
>>54800921
>>54801273
Different anon here.

You are a crybaby.
Next time don't "mess around" with something you don't understand and do your job instead.
>>
>>54801273
If systemctl emergency deleted / you would have been a complete retard for executing it whether or not you could find after the fact. Not that you aren't a complete retard anyway for executing a random command.
>>
>>54801189
>>54801273

"dd" gives you no warning. "shutdown -h now" doesn't give you a warning. Do you also shit on those?
Your problem was clearly PEBCAK, but you're trying to somehow convince everyone that it's not.
>>
I'm thinking about switching to openBSD to get out of the Linux world. Linux is becoming to bloated and has too much fragmentation, No one wants the same goal, Everyone had a different goal for every project so stuff just keeps getting forked and reforked over and over and over.
>>
>>54801337
>systemd reduces the fragmentation of linux by killing all other init systems
>it's time to get out of linux because it's too fragmented
based retard
>>
>>54801363

Not just init systems, but other minor system managing tools.
>>
>>54801363
Rc.conf is a hell of a lot easier than anything on Linux.
>>
>>54801421
Is simple a codeword for no drivers?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160529-085432.png (324 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160529-085432.png
324 KB, 1440x2560
>>54801284
No I looked it up pic related. Shit doc

>>54801287
What

>>54801304
What *2

>>54801314
U got me there though. Dd is both dangerous and silent. But man Dd is detailed unlike pic
>>
>>54800233
>systemd breaks something
>hundreds of packages start adding systemd-specific code to account for it
>Linux
NOT EVEN ONCE
>>
>>54801059
>I figured they'd get reaped at some point.
They do
>long after logging out
That's the problem

Thing is for some that's good, sys admins with specific configs or something presumably, so this causes problems. Needs some sort of way to control what gets killed.
>>
>>54801625
>1
>literally hundreds
>>
>>54801445
Actually I checked and openbsd has the Intel graphics drivers for my machine.

WiFi might be another story but USB WiFi dongles are cheap so that's not a deal breaker.
>>
>>54801650
>nome dependent on systemd
>tmux soon to be dependent on systemd
>GANOO+screen soon to be dependent on systemd
>wayland soon to be dependent on systemd
Brah.
>>
>>54801682
Sounds pretty good.
>>
>>54801314
There's also "rm -rf /" that breaks shitty EFI implementations, yet autists worldwide rushed to blame systemd for not mounting efivars are ro per default and therefore breaking compatibility for tools designed to write in efivars
adding a "ro" in /etc/fstab and blaming shitty producers is too hard, let's blame the Poettering
>>
>>54801697
>vendor lock in is only bad when Microsoft does it
Kill yourself.
>>
>>54801799
>open source
>vendor lock in
nice meme lad
>>
>>54801811
That's what it is you dumb cunt. If shit won't function without systemd, then it's locked in to that vendor.
>huuurrr duuurrr just le fork it xD
Because forking all those packages and fixing the dependencies is so fucking viable.
>>
>>54801844
>REEEE you can't start using C99 features in your code
>our system's compiler only supports C89
>vendor lock in vendor lock in
nice meme
>>
>>54801762
Look at Solaris SPARC systems. You can write to the eePROM through the OS, but it is not mounted, so it can't be erased by accidentally deleting a directory. If the only way to modify your pre-boot environment is to mount it in the OS you shouldn't be modifying it in the first place.
>>
lol @ all you newfreinds not enjoying the systemd software suite

systemd blows OpenRC, SysVInit, AND Upstart out of the water. The UNIX philosophy is outdated. Do many things and do them well.
>>
>>54801906
I beg to differ, there's a bunch of potentially harmful commands and if a *root* user is giving a "rm -rf /" he totally asks for it.
efivars are conceived to be accessible and edited by the OS. Deleting a variable (regardless of how it happens) shall never break a system. If a system breaks because an efivar has been deleted, you have to blame the producer's shitty firmware.
I'm actually against sissy switches like "--no-preserve-root" too
>>
>>54801906
>accidentally deleting a directory
because you accidentally delete the root directory with admin privileges everyday, ain't you
>>
File: bumblebee-rm-rf-usr.png (32 KB, 581x260) Image search: [Google]
bumblebee-rm-rf-usr.png
32 KB, 581x260
>>54801991
I have to argue that there's a world of difference between the OS being allowed to break itself (which I fully support) and an OS being able to render useless the hardware it runs on. What I'm against is EFI allowing edits while the OS is running, so I guess the systemd thread is the wrong place to be posting this.

>>54802009
Sometimes shit happens, man.
>>
https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo
/commit/bcc3e48

ayy
>>
>>54802068
Or rather EFI requiring the OS mount a portion of it to require edits.

It's been a long day, sorry.
>>
>>54802081
>I don't know how urls work
protip: the shouldn't contain newlines
>>
>>54801682
How the fuck can a windowing protocol be dependent on systemd?
>>
>>54801951
>trollolololololol
>>
File: (You).gif (424 KB, 464x381) Image search: [Google]
(You).gif
424 KB, 464x381
>>54802106
thanks
>>
>>54802347
not everything that's true is a troll
>>
>>54802363
not everything that's a troll is true either, but don't let that stop your shilling
>>
>>54802473
Red Hat pays me for shilling systemd on /g/.
>>
>>54802473
If someone does not like the software you like they are not a shill. If you cannot accept the fact that major corporations have no intention / want / need to advertise of recommend you something like systemd then i think you should just leave this board. Shills would attack places like Ubuntu Forums or comment sections on clickbait articles.

>>54802494
This guy is actually a troll
>>
>>54801951
>do them well.
never gonna happen
>>
>>54800801
i hate you so much right now
>>
File: never_ever.png (208 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
never_ever.png
208 KB, 327x316
>we're already at the Stockholm Syndrome part of the Poettering cycle
>>
>>54802615
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3JFwd1bk4Q
>>
>>54802696
she looks like a carrot
>>
>>54802685
Lennart-chan daisuki.
>>
>>54800892
>>he wants to have 10 MPDs running after he relogs every time
on my machine mpd doesn't even start if there's one already running
How infinitely retarded are you?
>>
>>54802863
u fookin wot m8?
>>
>>54802978
れなるど-ちゃん だいすき
>>
>>54802923

It was mpdas actually, the scrobbler.
>>
>>54800867
>I've never used openrc so I'll just shitpost a load of hyperbole I've heard
>>
>>54803084
>平仮名
>片仮名じゃない
>>
>>54804697
good postじゃない
>>
https://github.com/tmux/tmux/issues/428
>>
Praise Poettering. Love Poettering. Poettering is now fucking your ass.
>>
File: 1464231076716.jpg (44 KB, 600x476) Image search: [Google]
1464231076716.jpg
44 KB, 600x476
>>54803084
>>
>The new functionality
lol
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.