[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/. I have a bunch of old hard drives, some of them aren't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: battering ram.jpg (27 KB, 399x348) Image search: [Google]
battering ram.jpg
27 KB, 399x348
Hey /g/.
I have a bunch of old hard drives, some of them aren't even recognized by bios anymore. But I'm too paranoid to just throw them out, especially if I can't even check if there is anything sensitive on them.
How should I damage them before throwing them out? Would it be enough to remove the cover, scratch the surface of the disks and just throw it into the trash like that?
>>
>>54799988
Unless you're a terrorist mastermind or the FBI, there's no need to destroy a hard drive.
But if you really need to, disassemble the HDD, smash every component with a hammer, use a blowtorch to melt the components to oblivion until you're satisfied, then smash it up some more, and throw the tiny pieces into the toilet (at least the ones that haven't crumbled to dust.
>>
>>54800039
I'm not a terrorist, just worried about potentially saved passwords in browsers and so on.
>>
>>54799988
Microwave.
>>
>>54800039
metal will clock your waterlock!
>>
Also, for the ones that are actually recognized still, run DBAN on them, or
dd if=/dev/urandom of=[your drive]

with a GNU/Linux live disk before you destroy them
>>
Should've encrypted them.
>>
>>54800157
Open up the hard drive and scratch the platters until you're satisfied. That being said, nobody is going to attempt professional data recovery on your drives unless you're in a watch list of a government organization.
>>
throw it into a volcano
>>
charcoal aluminum furnace

get a charcoal grill chimney, some lump charcoal, a length of pvc pipe with a 90 degree bend, and a hair dryer
tape the hair dryer to the pipe, with a bend at the end of it, point it up underneath the charcoal chimney, fill it with charcoal and light it
turn on the hair dryer to give it shitloads of air
about 5 minutes later it should be hot enough to start dropping platters into it and melt em
>>
>>54800157
Just use a regular drill to drill through the platters and enclosure, normies and nigerian bankers don't have the means to recover Data from that kind of process :p
>>
>>54799988
Remember some platters are made of glass like material and it shatters on minimal impact. Protect your eyes and balls.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.