[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Liquid Cooling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Liquid.jpg (92 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Liquid.jpg
92 KB, 600x400
Hey /g/, Is liquid cooling worth it?

I'm planning on building a new PC with a GTX 1080 and an i7 (I know, I know) and was wondering if I could get away with just an aftermarket fan setup. Plus I don't want my nice new PC to get leaks on it,
>>
Not really, better just getting some quite fans from Noctua.

Unless you are into overclocking, then go ahead with water cooling.
>>
>>54799657
Only do it if you are looking for an expensive hobby or you really like the look of it. Otherwise just get a solid air cooler.
>>
No.

The 1080 and whatever i7 you're getting already run fairly cool, so there isn't any reason to add liquid cooling unless you're tying to pull off some super s1ck overclock, which I doubt you are.

And I also doubt you need an i7 processor or a 1080. But you spend your money where you want.
>>
>>54799687
The reference 1080 doesn't run very cool without an aggressive fan curve. Can't speak for coolers from other manufacturers though. I assume they are significantly better.
>>
>>54799668
quite fans... nice one, where can i get one of those?
>>
unless you are buying particularly good coolant the temperature difference wont be too much greater than just using a good heatsink + fan
the most important part of any cooling system is the transfer of heat from the processor to the heatsink, or in the case of water cooling, the grated plate put over the processor.

basically, de-lid the cpu, get some good thermal paste and a solid copper heatsink, throw some poopfans on it and you'll be nice and chill
>>
>>54799706
Just go for the NH-D15 meme and be a happy chap. Still plenty of headroom for overclocking
>>
OP here, so there seems to be a consensus of No. Well that's good for me haha. I just didn't want to go to all the effort of building it and then finding it overheats.

Thanks guys.
>>
>>54799657
>Plus I don't want my nice new PC to get leaks on it,
If you're worrying about shit like this, liquid cooling isn't for you

Get a good air cooler
>>
The stock coolers will be sufficient for the 1080, but look for reviews first because temps may differ depending on cooler design.

As for the CPU, technically the stock cooler should be sufficient for stock clocks. The i7-6700K would work just fine with something like the 212 Evo since it only produces 91W TDP, but if you want to overclock then that's a different story.

Honestly though, if you get a GTX1080 + i7-6700K setup then there's no need to overclock anything, at least not for a couple years.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.