[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any problems that all of the major OSs share?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Perfection.jpg (78 KB, 655x380) Image search: [Google]
Perfection.jpg
78 KB, 655x380
Are there any problems that all of the major OSs share?
>>
>>54798040
/thread
>>
I'm still surprised that different applications don't interact with each other more.

Like, you'd think that the most advanced thing wouldn't be dragging an image from your file manager onto your web browser to upload to some shitty meme-hosting site, but that's really the extent of it.
>>
>computer supposed to lock when put into sleep mode
>sometimes computer won't have time to lock before sleep mode kicks in
>Therefore when you wake from sleep mode, a glimpse of what the user was doing will appear for a few seconds before the lock screen appears, negating the purpose of locking anyways
Happens on all three.
>>
>>54798127
This is my biggest gripe. I really wish more applications worked together.

At least windows and OSx has some of it figured out, like they are all using the same fucking clipboard. I'm looking at you urxvt.
>>
>>54798127
I think even mobile OS platforms have this capability.

Good work, Anon.
>>
>>54798405
lock && sleep doesn't work?
>>
>>54797457
Users
>>
>>54797457
Yes, they all have a backdoor through which the NSA can sneak in at any time.
>>
Security. Closed source. Run by corporate businessmen who don't care about the software and just want to make money.
>>
>>54797457
Yes, some other OS even got a fix:
I. wrong way to handle IP and other networking - Plan 9 is good at
II. If you install and remove some binary, there will be unused stuff left, even if dev didn't want so - NExTSTEP almost solved it, but it doesn't apply to OS X because .apps like to shit in application support folder and others
III. opengl is shit, vulkan is only for games as for now - no cure except not having gpu accelerated interfaces at all
>>
they all run on backdoored hardware
>>
>>54797457
Yes. What they all share is that they are all massive pile of shits build on a code base that was established in the 70s or 80s. Now when you have this pile of shit and notice that one piece of it right at the base stinks particularly bad, it's basically impossible to replace it with a slightly better smelling piece. Nothing really happens any longer. Most of the development is just polishing the turd that the user faces and as computers get faster quicker then the pile builds up, there's no real reason to rethink the whole thing. You just build more and more stuff that relies on the shittiness of other stuff that has been added before.

For example, replacing something like xorg is basically a completely impossible feat. Computation is abundant, but instead of opening up the world of software, it actually caused it to petrify into whatever it turned out to be. Why is Windows so dominant? It's not because great programmers work at Microsoft, it's because that's just how it turned out. There is so much relying on that dominance that nobody can be bothered to change that. It's just such a desperate situation, you simply can't build anything new from scratch any longer. It's all "Oh, use this code base from the 80s or better yet, just don't even bother with it"
>>
>>54799690
if you wanted a completely innovative system you'd have to build your own programming language, then your own OS, then your own hardware and then it would only run programs you wrote
>>
>>54799690
Just businesses being businesses, nothing new.
What really sucks though is that no one is building a new operating system. Any billionaire could bring the necessary resources together. It would take a long ass time without generating any revenue, but, if done properly, it could push technology forward by a lot.
>>
>>54799987
you can build a new OS but for general use it has to run Photoshop, Chrome, Flash, etc. and at this point it's just Windows without legacy support
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.