[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever miss your old computer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: computer%20installatie4[1].jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
computer%20installatie4[1].jpg
62 KB, 640x480
I am sitting here in my cool air conditioned room with my huge monitor and powerful computer and I still feel a longing for the days when I sat sweating in a hot room at my parents house all night in front of my 14" CRT monitor with my old Pentium computer to the right of me poking around on Japanese webrings for obscure hentai.
>>
File: fag.jpg (84 KB, 633x496) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
84 KB, 633x496
get a life or better yet kys
>>
>>54795517
this post made me feel warm for a couple of seconds

ty based anon and also pls c. suicide
>>
>>54795496
No, I don't miss that. I don't miss having my 4kbps download interrupted by someone picking up the phone, either.
>>
>>54795496
>buy a retro machine on eBay for nothing
>install Linux
>apply vaporwave wallpaper
Feels good man
>>
I love working and playing with my collection of old gear but I wouldn't ditch my new hardware entirely for it if I had to, even my bitchin' Y2K-era high end workstations.

Maybe I would feel differently about it if the Internet was kinder to them, though. Really all I can do on my new shit that I can't do on my old shit is games and efficient virtualization, VMware on a Pentium III is suffering.
>>
>>54795496
The older I get the more I hate people that are nostalgic.
>>
>girl forced to sit in-front of computer to satisfy the wims of an autist who wants to show off his new computer
Good lord this is painful to see. My dad is just like that too.

Never do this. I know you're all prone to do it.
>>
No I don't miss waiting as a jpeg loaded segment by segment. I much prefer the ability to view HD content over the internet.
>>
I miss how robust/well-made components were in the past.
>>
I had a Athlon XP with 512MB of RAM and a FX5200 until 2011.

No I don't fucking miss it.
>>
>>54795582
It's nothing at all like actually being there. It can't be recreated.
>>
>>54795809
>girl

She's at least 30.
>>
Everything about my old computer from highschool was terrible, but, I was spending hours on figuring out how to squeeze every part for its maximum potential, and days of research to get the best price/performance used parts.

Now I literally just throw money at the problem.

Everything is better now, fuck my old rig, it was fucking terrible.
>>
>>54795582
>>buy a retro machine on eBay for nothing

Have you checked the prices on 386 through Pentium era machines lately? They don't go for nothin'.
>>
maybe a case or a definable a desk and chair, but never an old computer.
>>
>>54795839
Jesus
>>
>>54795892
Yeah by now maybe.
She's no more than 25.

Regardless that clueless face makes her a girl in my eyes almost regardless of age.
>>
>>54795894
>disrespecting your old hardware like this
shameful
>>
>>54795496
I miss the data on it but not the device itself.

I'm probably fortunate I don't have it though, all those chatlogs were from when I was awful.
>>
>>54795953
Her manner of dress and hairstyle matches exactly with what 30+ year old women were wearing when the computer in the photo was contemporary.

People were healthier in the 90s. 30-something women looked like today's 20-somethings.
>>
>>54796003
>disrespecting your [inanimate object without sentience by definition of the word object] like this
Awful.
>>
>>54795907
Wait, is the P4 in my closet worth something again?
>>
>>54796016
>30-something women looked like today's 20-somethings.
Dunno how true that is but presuming you're right about her age. Yeah.
>dress and hairstyle
So? She's related to a nerd in some way.
>>
>>54796024
P4s are in the donut hole of worthlessness, wait another 10-20 years when XP becomes nostalgia-tier ancient and they've all been recycled.
>>
File: Core2Duo.png (50 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Core2Duo.png
50 KB, 200x200
i used a core 2 duo for nearly 10 years, i ended up getting the IHS bronzed and the whole thing is hanging proudly in a wooden box with a glass window.

Should still work but i'm not sure as i don't have an lga775 motherboard. delidding that thing was so fucking difficult i may have damaged the die in the process.

Either way, it's the memory that counts, it was there from me since before puberty to when i became a man, it's seen everything i've ever done with a computer... which was a lot. every phase i've gone through, every document i've typed, picture i've drawn, game i've played, conversation i've had, music i've listened to.. just.. everything went through that thing. I think that makes it special.

I ended up retiring it a few years ago for a Haswell i saved up for with my own money that i'm still using.. Kind of felt like the end of an era when i took that rig apart...
>>
>>54795894
People who call them "rigs" are embarrassing, I hope you don't use that word around people
>>
>>54796024
No. It's not old enough to be collectable yet, but also too old to be useful for anything current. It's like a PS2.
>>
File: babby.jpg (48 KB, 604x489) Image search: [Google]
babby.jpg
48 KB, 604x489
>>54795496
Yes, I do
>>
What you said
>I still feel a longing for the days when I...

What is happening
>I still feel a longing for only the good parts of days that I happen to remember and have blocked out everything bad

Nostalgia is a lie and a catch 22, you can never go back and see it again because it's just your own memory now and that's all you can go off of, too bad you have changed that. Kill yourself.
>>
>>54796139
hey look guys justin's back with some more non-sequiturs and nonsensical strawmen about trivial autistic bullshit nobody gives a fuck about
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.