[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is BSD Dead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: PC-BSD-screenshot.png (1018 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
PC-BSD-screenshot.png
1018 KB, 1920x1200
I tried to get on board, I like the feel and build of it much better than Linux, but it just feels like life support. Even ThinkPads struggle to get a usable desktop up and running with BSD. Any BSD Desktop users here?
>>
the only good laptop BSD is openbsd
>>
>>54792217
>icq
people still using this thing?
>>
File: 1462637828215.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1462637828215.gif
2 MB, 400x400
>>54792217
>use the shittiest BSD
>"why is BSD so shit???"
>>
>>54792321
Not even going to hide the shame; I tried to get a DE on Open and Free upwards of 4 times and failed.
>>
>>54792391
were you using gnome? only DE worthva shit on BSD is xfce, they even use it as a selling point
>>
>>54792217
FreeBSD is the most functional and up to date one, the rest are outdated as fuck to the point where debian is bleeding edge in comparison.
>>
>>54792217
FreeBSD runs fine on my T61p. What model of Thinkpad are you using anon?

BSD hardware support is admittedly poor. There is reluctance (as there should be!) in the BSD communities to add poor hardware support. Once a BSD gets a piece of hardware supported, you can count on it being rock-solid. In my experience, this includes more stability than on Windows or Linux. But that process can be painfully slow, so you're forced to run on older hardware.
>>
>>54792531
XFCE on PC BSD, I just can't ever get a GUI in OpenBSD or FreeBSD without bricking it or failing. Shit makes Arch look like iOS
>>
>>54792615
T410, everything works pretty well except wifi
>>
>>54792622
on FreeBSD all you have to do is
>su (root)
>pkg install xorg xfce

OpenBSD is
>su (root)
>PKG_PATH="BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH"
>pkg_add xfce
OpenBSD comes with its own X server
>>
>>54792637
I don't know what wifi card the T410 uses, but you could look it up and check on the BSD support pages and see if it's a setup issue or if there really isn't support for that card.

I would expect BSD to work with the T410's wireless:/
>>
>>54792655
>>PKG_PATH="BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH"
I messed up
>export PKG_PATH="BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH"
>>
>>54792670
you dont even have to do that, theres a /etc file for setting up pkg

in /etc/examples you even have a list of mirrors
>>
>>54792217
Yes, their own lisence killed them
>>
>>54792217
> Not using FreeBSD
> BSD IS DEAD!
>>
>>54792637
>>54792658
>T410
If it Intel N 6205 like in T420 it's working with iwn:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops/Thinkpad_T420
Maybe you used too old versions.
Try FreeBSD 10.3 as DE you can use lumina or XFCE.
>>
>>54792727
Hah that's cool I didn't know that, thanks.
>>
>>54792622
im not sure i understand how a DE can brick something.

did X actually work?
>>54792818
yeah i dont know why they recommend the variable way first, a global config's much better
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.