[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
my laptop hard drive is either dying or dead due to clicking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 1420129312246.gif (31 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1420129312246.gif
31 KB, 250x250
my laptop hard drive is either dying or dead due to clicking noises and it not being detected on either the laptop or a desktop. Is their any way I can make it readable again without having to pay over $100 for some Staples goon to attempt to recover it. Is it fixable if I where to open it up and fiddled with the head?
>>
>>54792114
Open it and use a microfiber cloth on the platters in a gentle circular motion. My cousin's friend swears this works.
>>
>>54792114
You are probably fucked, and for sure don't listen to the dick that said clean the platters.

Use something like this as a bootable disk: http://www.ntfs.com/recovery-toolkit.htm

You can also put it in the freezer for a few hours and you might get a little data off of it, but doing so will fry the disk eventually.
>>
>>54792144
Don't do this.

It makes mustard gas.
>>
File: 20160528_201858.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160528_201858.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Opened her up, not seeing anything wrong. I assumed it was clicking because the drive head was stuck but it obviously isn't. What do?
>>
>>54792680
It's done kiddo. You destroyed it.
>>
>>54792680
Oh all the dust
>>
File: kermit .jpg (30 KB, 587x583) Image search: [Google]
kermit .jpg
30 KB, 587x583
>>54792680
Please tell me you didn't actually open the drive up.
>>
File: medium.jpg (2 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
medium.jpg
2 KB, 64x64
>>54792680
Buy some LED, wired up a discreet PSU, and hang it on your wall. You goofed, friend.
>>
>>54792114
Linux can usually read it even if windows can't. Best option is to use ddrescue to make an image of the drive.
>>
>>54792680
You just destroyed any hope of getting anything off it. It's oxidized now.
>>
>>54794438
It reads the drive now but it's reading it as an unallocated drive. I sure as hell don't want to allocate it and delete everything
>>
>>54792114
If you are lucky you can tap it gently while it is trying to spin up, I have managed to pull this off before. Make sure you have a plan and move the data off it immediately, assume after you do this it will never start again.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.