[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NixOS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_20160528_225724.png (55 KB, 1233x282) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160528_225724.png
55 KB, 1233x282
Is anyone using NixOS as their primary operating system? How is it: How up-to-date is the software, are the features as neat as advertised, how is the configuration system etc.?
>>
No one? Nix package manager looks really cool.
>>
Sorry OP, we only discuss ricing and consumerism
>>
>>54790193
Damn.

I'll just leave this here then, to maybe get someone interested (because I am).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQLO5CWuGVk
http://slides.com/domenkozar/nix-the-functional-package-manager-and-nixos-the-declarative-linux-distribution

Currently I'm running Arch, but this looks nearly good enough to switch if it works as well as advertised. Imagine changing your system configuration and you can automatically boot back into a previous system configuration via GRUB if something goes wrong.

Everything is completely reversible.
>>
I use Guix. I haven't really used GuixSD though.
>>
"You can have multiple versions or variants of a package installed at the same time. This is especially important when different applications have dependencies on different versions of the same package — it prevents the “DLL hell”. Because of the hashing scheme, different versions of a package end up in different paths in the Nix store, so they don’t interfere with each other."

Damn that sounds great. The whole distro looks professional af. Will try it. Thanks op.
>>
>>54790262
Glad you are enjoying it. Check out the YouTube video/presentation here too: >>54790223

I'll try a basic installation in a VM for now, and see if I can actually get Plasma etc. running.
>>
>>54790262
It essentially the next step after Snap packages or flatpaks. There is also cool things like creating environments for development with all the packages you need to build and work on your project.
>>
>>54790320
Makes me feel like flatpak should never have been started, but the Nix package manager should have been adapted instead.
>>
>>54790283
I'm on arch right now since it's hasslefree for me but I will try this. I don't fully understand the presentation but I'll stop and google whenever I don't understand something.
>>
>>54790333
Yep, it helps reduces a lot of the duplicated packages you would have plus many more cool stuff.
>>
>>54789911
>systemd

So much for the whole reliability they claim. The iso can't even boot because of it.

Perhaps one day people will remove the virus for good.
>>
>>54791569
GuixSD uses GNU Shepherd
>>
>>54791569
>Perhaps one day people will remove the virus for good.
It's not a virus, but it did introduce another vulnerability due to FBDEV being garbage recently in the 230 release.

I've never had a problem with systemd myself.
>>
>>54789911
I try to use it. It broke my KDE5 today after an update and I've never been able to install GNOME 3 using it due to a file conflict (>>54790262 isn't entirely true). Feels very nascent and unstable right now, and it's got many components like `nix-env` being needlessly complex; I shouldn't have to remember all these weird command parameters instead of `nix install`, `nix update`, etc. `nox` tries to make installing easier it but fails in its interface when there are a lot of choices.

I really hope for Nix' future because what it strives for is something I'd love to see come to fruition.
>>
File: Untitled.png (319 KB, 1366x662) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
319 KB, 1366x662
Currently working on building a custom GNU/Linux distro - very early stages.

What would you want in it?
>>
>>54793747
Automatic BLACKED.COM downloads
>>
>>54793747
needs wine with all the DLLs already loaded
grub, grub2, uboot, and lilo
PPC support built in
openbox as default
XOrg and wayland (X by default ofcourse)
animu background, and pulls random images off 4chan every 10 mins
Jack and ALSA for the audio - though pulse is ussualy fine
openRC for startup
>>
>>54793747
make an option to not install GNU userland -- this means install clang and busybox instead, along with utilities that replace any leftover GNU tools
>>
>>54795875
that is the ultimate in saying screw-you to stallman
>>
>>54789911
Guix SD is also cool.
>>
>>54789911
/sci/ here, I don't use NixOS but I do use the Nix package manager on Arch Linux.

I use it to manage all of my Haskell software. It's much better than using Cabal and my understanding is there are plans to change Cabal so that it works more like the Nix package manager.

>>54790223
In case you're planning on trying out the package manger on Arch then I advise not installing it throug the AUR. Since the NIX package manager upgrades itself then you probably don't want another package manager fucking with it.

Also, the way I use Nix managed packages in my Arch setup is by creating environments. Then I just open up the terminal, type load-env-[environment] and it re-configures my shell with all the Nix packages available.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.