[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is AMD just being terrible or is this Windows being trash?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Capture.png (474 KB, 1036x555) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
474 KB, 1036x555
Is AMD just being terrible or is this Windows being trash?

I have two monitors and now whenever the computer goes to sleep (read: monitors turn off, high performance settings dont allow full sleep), the windows reset position and anything that supports transparency looks like this until I restart the program or reboot.

Looks like it is talked about here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-movesresizes-windows-on-monitor-power/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa

Anyone else experience this?
>>
switch to balanced power, high performance is for fags
>>
>>54788599

Balanced power has nothing to do with this issue and this post adds nothing to this conversation.
>>
>>54788586
It's a very old Windows issue and has nothing to do with your graphics card
Microsoft just doesn't care about fixing bugs

You can use a script that automatically saves all window positions before going to sleep and restores them a few seconds after though
>>
>>54788727

It's fucking infuriating. I didn't have this issue until a few days ago when I installed new GPU drivers.

What software do you suggest?
>>
>>54788757
I stopped using sleep years ago
But back then I used some hacked-together AutoHotkey script
I can upload the source somewhere if you're interested
>>
>>54788838

It just makes no fucking sense that this has existed for so long. Does this happen in just 7 or 10 as well?
>>
>>54788957
It happens in all versions
>>
>>54789255

I guess it's because when the display goes to sleep the signal doesn't keep alive. It's only a problem on DVI and DisplayPort.

I have now realized that my connections are DVI to HDMI (HDMI on monitor), so that's the problem. Time to get new monitors.
>>
M$ worked so hard at making sure suspend wouldn't work on Linux, that now it doesn't even work on Windows.
>>
>>54790805
back story?
>>
>>54790738
Different monitors won't change anything
If you send a monitor to sleep then Windows will move all windows on it to another monitor
>>
>>54790942
Misinformation. This only just started happening without any hardware changes.
>>
>>54790960
Well good luck finding a monitor that isn't HDMI DVI or DisplayPort
>>
>>54791035
This issue doesn't happen with DVI anon.
>>
>>54790738

1. Set blank screen saver
2. Set computer to never sleep
2. Set display to never turn off

Fixed, enjoy.
>>
>>54788586
It's windows fault.
I did some research by myself, here are results:
Regardless of windows version (7 or 10):
5870HD (stock) and 6970HD (asus DCU2) - everything works as it should.
gtx 970 (gigabyte wf3) and r9 390 (msi tf2)
everything is fucked up when i'm waking up the displays.
i use 2 60Hz displays and one 144Hz;
As a side noew - on gtx 970 the 144hz one goes back to 60Hz as an addition to fucking up my desktop. Sometimes one or two display refuses to wake up, also on gtx 970

my thoughts are that old amd cards (older than GCN; 6xxx HD series or lower) just werks
and the new nvidia and amd cards just don't
for whatever reasons

no idea how does intel HD / old NV cards perform
>>
>>54791131
so how do you get around this? never have them go to sleep?
>>
>>54791160
yep, no better solution for now
Also, when i'm turning on my PC i wahve to wait on logon screen until everything turns on, because if I log on too fast displays tend to fuck themselves up as well.
I'll be getting 1070 soon, I'm curious how will it work

btw, everything works with any card on any linux distro, sadly i have to use windows and shit as my main os because of some reasons
>>
>>54791106
turn off your monitor, why screen saver?

never had an issue turning mine on and off in the 6 years i have had amd gpus and this monitor.
>>
>>54791606

because turning off the monitor causes the described behavior.
>>
File: 1428774057466.jpg (32 KB, 276x285) Image search: [Google]
1428774057466.jpg
32 KB, 276x285
>I have a problem
>always an AMD user
When will you fags learn.
>>
>>54792084

It's a windows problem, I'm sorry you're too unintelligent to understand this :^(
>>
>>54788586
it's windows, not amd, I get the same shit here if I turn the monitor off

oddly enough I didn't get this problem when I was using an older monitor plugged via hdmi, right now I'm on displayport

thank fuck I'm on an ssd and made it so I don't have to enter a login password, it just dumps me on my desktop from cold boot in 6 seconds
>>
Why don't you hibernate instead?
>>
>>54792385
because it does the same thing
>>
>>54791106

Hey, this worked. Thank you.
>>
>>54792221
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
Kek, even the code abomination that is X11 is still better than windows.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.