[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Can't properly resume from hibernate most of the time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Tux.png (12 KB, 265x314) Image search: [Google]
Tux.png
12 KB, 265x314
>Can't do multi-monitor setups with different DPIs
>Can't do wireless failover
>Can't do efficient socket-signal IPC
>Can't do proper multitouch on trackpads, only a bad approximation using synaptics which simply counts the fingers but doesn't distinguish them
Why would anyone use Linux on a desktop/laptop system? It's stuck in the 90s, and "muh Unix philosophy" retards are doing their best to troll anyone out of the free software community trying to change this.
>>
Linux is made for servers and old shitty thinkpads that can't run a real OS
>>
what do you mean, works on my machine
>Can't do multi-monitor setups with different DPIs
works on my machine
>Can't do wireless failover
sounds like a security feature
>Can't do proper multitouch on trackpads, only a bad approximation using synaptics which simply counts the fingers but doesn't distinguish them
Who cares?
>>
>>54785353
If you run Windows on a chinkpad you're going to get Lenovo's self-reinstalling hidden-in-BIOS adware. Also, Thinkpads are about the only laptops that still come without a dual-GPU setup, which you wouldn't be able to use under Linux anyway.

PRIME situation on Linux:
>nvidia: vsync completely broken, tearing and applications relying on vsync (video players, notification indicator spinners and other Qt animation stuff) run at maximum speed instead of at display sync speed.
>amd: kernel panic
and of course
>intel: xf86-video-intel so buggy and bad multiple distributions recommend using modesetting with glamor instead for 2D acceleration

The worst part is that Intel has a fairly large team of paid full-time developers working on their open drivers and it's still worse than the glamor hack.
>>
>>54785334
>hibernate works fine
>stop using stupid configurations
>werks for me
>WHY DO YOU EVER need that
>WHYTHE FUCK DO YOU EVER NEED THAT
>>
Works pretty much flawlessly for me on both my laptop and desktop.
>>
I have all those problems on my Surface Pro 2 running W10 too.
>>
>>54785433
>"werks on my machine"
ah, the ultimate Linux defence. Even if it's something which is factually not working on your machine, like different DPIs with multiple monitors, which cannot work on your machine because X11 has no concept of DPI and therefor cannot deal with different numbers on multiple monitors; it's a known limitation.

>sounds like a security feature
How is not falling back to ethernet when wireless goes down without dropping connections a security feature?
>>
>>54785473
>ah, the ultimate Linux defence.
It's actually our polite way of saying, "it fucking works you moron, whatever retarded shit you've done to your computer is your own fucking fault."
>>
>>54785452
>why would you ever need that :)))))))
yeah gee, why would any operating system ever need such IPC, considering most modern operating systems are built around efficient flexible IPC. It's so important in client devices that Android had to tack their own IPC onto Linux because Unix sockets just don't cut it.

DBus tried, but it's an abomination in its current state, but one that fulfils a role that a desktop system simply needs.
>>
>>54785516
>"it fucking works you moron, whatever retarded shit you've done to your computer is your own fucking fault."

I never understood why people keep claiming it's the user's fault, I have had many problems which I needed to fix myself on Linux, because fresh install and stuff is broken not working properly.
>>
>>54785334
So does Windows do all this shit in the kernel, like scrollbars and fonts?
>>
Linux also doesn't force restart my computer to update the OS which last over 50 minutes leaving my computer useless in the meantime.
>>
>>54785334
>laptop
>multi-monitor setup
>>
i've never had issues on resuming from suspend/hibernate

and I genuinely can't fathom why you wouldn't be able to do wireless failovers in either directions... but i'm not able to test it since my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port
>>
Hibernate doesn't get restored properly about 10% of the time on my memepad T420. Is this a known issue? How do I fix?
>>
>>Can't do efficient socket-signal IPC
So you been only exposed to shitty RH product that is udev and dont know about those dozen other, in-kernel IPC models of which TIPC does that without a problem.
>>
>>54788033
(Also, I'm using the 4.1 kernel)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.