[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Data recovery from Nokia N8
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7
File: back.jpg (1 MB, 2656x1488) Image search: [Google]
back.jpg
1 MB, 2656x1488
Okay, I can't fix this on my own so I'm posting here and on forums. Pls help and sorry for the blogpost.

Hello!

I am trying to recover the data on the mass internal storage of a Nokia N8 that has been water-damaged. The data is of sentimental value to my partner's family member, so I am trying my best before contacting a data recovery company as we cannot currently afford the probably very expensive service.

The phone does not power on, nor does it show the regular charging indicator, [I]however[/I] when the battery is what I've began calling critically-low condition (where the phone would not start without charging for a few minutes first), the charging light [I]does[/I] flash near the micro-USB port. After this it stops charging and the process can be repeated if the battery is left to achieve the critically low point. I believe it does not charge once the critical threshold has been passed. This is [I]only[/I] when charging via the USB, if the adapter is used it doesn't charge at all. I have uploaded a video of this [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQTIRcaoQu4"]here[/URL]. When charging via the computer, the light goes on for about 6 minutes. If charging via wall socket USB adapter, it takes about a minute. If charging via computer and regular adapter together, it takes about a minute as well, so at least both charging ports are somewhat working. I think it is possible that the power button still does something as it seemed to reset the critically-low charging process or it may have been coincidental. The computer does not recognise the phone in any way and it does not start, vibrate, or show any other signs of life even with a charged battery. This is a similar symptome as one guy had with his N9 [URL="https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87709"]here[/URL], but I don't think WinFlasher works for N8, or I haven't done the steps properly (get an error about invalid header of the flashing file).

1/2
>>
File: front.jpg (1 MB, 2672x1504) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
1 MB, 2672x1504
The phone has been opened, cleaned, and left to dry for several weeks. I have bought a used N8 as I had misplaced the charging plate and thought it might be useful for diagnostics as well. The screen of the water-damaged phone seems to be in working order, so the motherboard is the only one that seems to be affected severely. I've also bought a Nokia CA-101 data cable as the ones I had did not seem to connect the working phone to the computer via USB -- now the working phone gives an error when connecting the cable and says to remove the cable (at least it's being recognised this time!). It is unclear to me whether the phone, cable, or software is at fault (seems older Nokias are finicky with drivers and Nokia Suite), but the same cable charges the phone when the battery is critically low.

So, there is still some power going through the mainboard, even though it's not fully operational. Phones are odd (I removed a chip from a Samsung to make it start again), so if anybody can think of a solution short of transplating the internal memory chip, I would greatly appreciate it. Bar that, I am even open to doing that myself if somebody would guide me through it! [URL="http://imgur.com/a/Brlm4"]Here[/URL] are some pictures of the mainboard and [URL="https://www.telepolis.pl/grafika/newsy/2010-07/noka-n8-dissasembly-1.pdf"]here[/URL] is the service manual for the N8, for people who have a better understanding of the internals. Is there anything I can do to recover the data? Thank you.

2/2
>>
>>54783349
>>54783367
Fuck off FBI
>>
File: 1462377923543.jpg (93 KB, 755x423) Image search: [Google]
1462377923543.jpg
93 KB, 755x423
/wsr/ ->
>>
>>54783478
Thanks. /g/ might find it challenging work and be willing to help though.
>>
>>54783349
>Copied the content straight out of a forum

Nice job nigger.

Just desolder the memory chip and slap it on a reader or on a second hand bought phone of the same modle.
>>
File: tumblr_mkfpzhImiO1rxofjho5_250.gif (694 KB, 245x155) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mkfpzhImiO1rxofjho5_250.gif
694 KB, 245x155
>>54783501
>>Copied the content straight out of a forum
Yes, I explicitly said I am doing this, you don't need to remind me of what I am doing.

>Just desolder the memory chip and slap it on a reader or on a second hand bought phone of the same modle.
Not so easy, thanks. Unclear if it will work even if I do it correctly as new board might not be able to read it.
>>
>>54783553
Then sod off and go to a data recovery company.

Unless you have a shit ton of flux and and a proper hot air jet around you ain't cleaning any corrosion on it.

And I highly doubt you have an ultrasonic cleaner on hand either.
>>
File: gasps_in_spanish.jpg (29 KB, 600x457) Image search: [Google]
gasps_in_spanish.jpg
29 KB, 600x457
>>54783738
Wow rude.
>>
what is this
>>
>ctrl f battery and replace
You have tried that didnt you?
>>
>>54783930
Yes, no change with that. Thanks.
>>
>>54783738
Microelectronics and ultrasonic cleaners are a risky mix anyway. The chip leads are often attached to the carriers using ultrasonic welding, which could be undone by some cleaners.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 442x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 442x333
>>54783349
give it to this local guy.
i am not even memeing, they know so much shit about cheapass $20 dollar phones (especially about nokias) you would be struck in awe. you would have it back completely fixed in 2 days top.
>>
>>54783499
No seriously, fuck off mate, /g/ is not your personal tech support board.
>>
>>54784409
Thanks for bumping my thread.
>>
>>54784444
Checked
>>
Hi guys!
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.