[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fucked up a little. I attempted to install Xubuntu side by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160528_205546.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160528_205546.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
I fucked up a little.
I attempted to install Xubuntu side by side my windows installation, but I did something wrong. It failed 90% though the installation, leaving me with ( due to my ignorance with instillation settings ) a fucked ntfs windows partition which won't boot, and a broken Xubuntu sitting in a ext4 partition.

I'm currently backing up the windows partition through live Linux. I'm thinking of formatting the drive with a fresh NTFS and copying the windows file system back to the drive.

Once that's done, I'm hoping I'll be able to jump back into Windows after running some bootloader fix commands though the windows installation disk.

Does anyone know if this will work?
>>
Just boot to a windows install image and recover windows.

Youve probably just fucked up the boot sector which can be corrected by windows recovery console.
>>
>>54781682
use a Linux Live USB. Boot gparted. Delete the EXT4 partitions and any partition associated with Linux.

Boot Windows Recovery disk/USB. I forget the exact commands but basically you're going to open a command prompt from recovery and re-install the Windows Boot loader.

When you started installing Linux, one of the first things it did was replace the Windows Boot loader (which only sees Windows installations) and replaced it with GRUB (Which is able to see any installation of any OS).

After the 3 or 4 commands to repair Windows boot loader, restart the PC. Should start right up like normal.

>Then just get the Unity version of Ubuntu. (i.e. the most "stable" version. Install that in it's entirety. Then just install the XFCE Desktop environment.
>>
>>54781682
>Xubuntu

There's your problem.
Use a decent distro like Ubuntu Unity or Linux Mint.
>>
>>54781718
>>54781719
Thanks for your help.
I've already tried that. Went through all the methods I could find. All of them had issues locating the windows installation.
I'd expect GRUB might move the windows file system or something, possibly making the windows utilities unable to locate the OS?

>>54781720
Yeah, but I like xfce.
Might do what this guy said though >>54781719
>>
>>54781778
that's unfortunate. Only thing I could recommend is boot into Linux Live USB. Move all data you consider important to an external drive. Wipe the drive and all its partitions and start anew. Re-install Windows, Ubuntu, etc. Make a system image of the freshly installed and updated Windows OS BEFORE you start adding a bunch of shit like programs etc. That way if you ever need to roll back, you have a clean slate copy laying around.

Take this as a lesson and learn from it.
>>
>>54781778
>Yeah, but I like xfce.

Linux Mint comes with a XFCE spin that's more stable than Xubuntu.
>>
>>54781682
Shit happens but it gives you experience of how your system responds to changes. I learned a lot of things while trying to install Linux and Windows. Nothing to feel bad about.

Eventually when you get a perfect install and all your rice on, you will feel satisfied.
>>
>>54781778
>I'd expect GRUB might move the windows file system or something
No. Grub installs to the MBR and boots on the basis of partitions. The starting location of the partition means very little to GRUB.
>>
>>54781962
Alright.
My scrubness is showing.

>>54781985
Okay cool, thanks.
>>
welcome to the world of debian
>kill yourself
>>
>linux

not even once
>>
>>54781682
>but I did something wrong
So you got the something happened error?

How does it "not boot"? Do you just don't get it in grub or it freezes during the boot process?
>>
>>54782505
I have linux thrice and each of those times as dual boot. Haven't fucked up a windows partition a single time. Neither is a buntu however.
>>
>>54781720
retard
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.