[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How significant is University degrees/GPA in CS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 63060.jpg (830 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
63060.jpg
830 KB, 1440x900
Looking for a serious answer, right now im half way through my CS degree and really wondering if im wasting my time or not - or how my job opportunities will be affected by not having a degree. Seriously, most of the classes feel like the University doesn't give a shit about the education of their walking bags of cash (students) and just throw together whatever on a couple of slides and don't want to occupy the lecturer (researches) time.

How important is GPA when it comes to a CS degree?

How much did you learn in University Anons? Feels like garbage to me to be honest, but im just pursuing the degree just to get the paper as a fallback.

Any relevant advice is welcome.

p.s Before I entered University I always liked computers and the mechanics behind them, but University seems to have taken the fun out of that, yet there are other students who are enjoying this, what seems to be the deal? I dont understand how anyone can enjoy University
>>
>>54779520
Just look at job postings for the field that you are interested in. Even for web dev a ton of job ads want people with at least a bachelor's degree in CS.
>>
>>54779520
Try to get yourself some work experience outside of University. It'll be considered far more in future jobs than grades
>>
i havent "learned" anything in class that i havent taught myself already and im about to graduate. i already have a job and interned. i ask myself the same questions about whether i should finish daily. any opportunity ive been given so far has never been because of my gpa, my professors know its shit but they to push me into TAing, research, jobs anyway.
>>
GPA only matters getting in the door, and only in some companies, I think intel required like 3.75 or something. More important are internships. Get internship, don't be an idiot, you'll get a job offer 90% of the time, starting at 70-90k. Only guy we didn't hire was some spoiled brat who was caught playing games on his phone during a meeting by my boss's boss's boss.
>>
>>54779567
How do you do this in all seriousness? Do you literally walk up to a company that hires CS people and say 'pls can u intern me? i ams student' I HONESTLY do not understand how you do this? Why on earth would anyone wnat to hire you if you havent even finished your degree to begin with? Please elaborate
>>
>>54779561
That's not a necessity for most web dev jobs, even if it's posted. Generally that's just recruiters putting any random shit on there.

In the same way that they'd put something like "must have at least 10 years experience with Angular" or some shit.
>>
>>54779571
>>54779584
Ok anons seriously, how do you get a job while youre still in school? Why would they hire you to begin with if you still havent acquired CS bachelor level knowledge? Do you literally cold call or something?
>>
Depends on the company really. My company never had any technical questions on the interview and never asked about my GPA. There are a few Sr Devs I work with who never got a degree and they made out pretty well. Unfortunately my company also just instituted a policy that if you want to move above entry level you need a bachelors in something computer related. So all those Sr. Devs are stuck where they are.

GPA matters fuck all when it comes to preparing you to do your job. Get internships, as many as you can. When you're at the internships start talking with the Sr. Devs, especially the old guys who've been doing this for longer than you have been alive. They'll be able to offer a wealth of programming knowledge as well as give you some advice about how to not go insane in this industry.
>>
>>54779626
>That's not a necessity for most web dev jobs, even if it's posted. Generally that's just recruiters putting any random shit on there.

If you look closely, that posting usually says "CS or Related Field" which means IT, MIS, CIS, if you can code and went to college that counts.
>>
>>54779629
Me and a couple buddies started making Android games after graduating, just so we can put something in our resumes. It was during the recession too, so fucking impossible to find anyone hiring fresh graduates. We all got jobs with different companies before we finished our second game.
>>
>>54779520
I"m going to be the depressing asshole. I work with a lot of smart people, with Bachelors and Masters degrees, we have years of knowledge and experience, and none of that is going to stop us from being outsourced if the CEO want to.
>>
>>54779601
I have 3 semesters to go in my degree and found work as a trainee C# .NET developer.
The pay isn't great but it's experience. You just can't expect to jump into a high-paying job while still studying but it will pay off in the long run.
>>
>>54779601
Not him but show interest, faithfulness, and be charming. I don't know how else you expect someone to put it for you.

I would assume more often than not usually internships lead to full jobs at that company and usually let you work throughout the years with them part-time until you finish your education. If you are honest and seem willing I don't see why companies wouldn't want to mold you. People understand how taking people in and getting them prepared ultimately creates loyalty.
>>
unless you are 4.0 to put honors and more on the resume, gpa is only a way to make the cut for an internship. once you have the degree unless you barely scraped by with like a 2.8 or something weird gpa wont mean much unless you are in competition with many other people for the same position.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2016/03/30/dropouts-need-not-apply-silicon-valley-asks-mostly-for-developers-with-degrees/

there is another article that explains the benefits of a degree as well but i am trying to find it
>>
>>54779601
Surely too, your University has some kind of careers department that can assist you. Companies are often sourcing those kinds of places for interns and such.
>>
>>54779629
> Why would they hire you to begin with if you still havent acquired CS bachelor level knowledge?

If they feel that you're smart and knowledgeable enough to do the job, they'll hire you.

>Do you literally cold call or something?

You just reply to the job postings.
>>
>>54779792
>unless you barely scraped by with like a 2.8 or something weird gpa
Ha. My gpa was 2.12
>>
>>54779629
Well I mean if you're a first year it might prove difficult. Deeper into your degree they may take you on if you can demonstrate you have a solid idea about various aspects, even if you can't yet fully implement them.
>>
>>54779629
if your school isnt putting on shit like job fairs, if companies arent coming out on campus for presentations and interviews, and if your career services department isnt sending you information and helping you for the CS side of things, you are going to the wrong school
>>
Grades are mostly important only if you want to go to grad school (for which an undergrad degree is mandatory).

In industry, they ideally want someone with both a degree and experience, but if you had to pick one, get experience.
>>
Thanks for the honest replies /g/
>>
You learn nothing in university except how to be a libshit. The only reason to get one is for HR. Do you internships before you're done with the degree and optimally finish it WHILE doing an internship.
>>
I'm a CS major, what kind of minor should I pick up? Maybe math?
>>
>>54779520
If you don't have anything else to show for, grades are important. It matters the most for getting the first job(s) and internship(s). After that it becomes irrelevant. Or if you want to go to grad school.
There are only a few fields where the grades follow you after your first job. Law is one of them and some governmental positions.
>>
>>54779520
Well, you know what they call the person we graduated bottom of his class in medical school

Doctor
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.